Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 13-02-2016, 09:40   #16

Boat: Nauticat 43
Re: PVC dinghy and permanent marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
Painting or drawing the numbers is the easy part. The harder problem is getting the state registration decal to stick to the PVC. I never found a good solution so I stuck them (noncompliant) to the plywood transom. I've seen quite a few stuck to engine cowls too. Any better fixes?

S/V B'Shert
Tayana,

Check out the offerings from BoatNumberPlate.com

They accommodate the sticker in their design.

Cheers!

Bill

Short on opinions; focused on research, facts & experience [yours and ours...]
wrwakefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2016, 10:32   #17
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

It might bond better with a different adhesive. People who order 'stickers', even state agencies, often just order by price and with no concept that the adhesives are very different. You might be able to use a 3M spray that is designed for PVC, spray it on the back on the decal and the hull and voila. (Try first on a piece of the sticker's boarder scrap.)

Or, just using PVC "fusion" adhesive from an above-ground pool repair kit (cheap enough). In the worst case, do the best you can and maybe glue a clear PVC (vinyl) pouch or cover over it? (Just around the edges, anticipating it will need to be changed.)

There's a concept in the law, that they law cannot require a man to do that which is impossible. So the burden would be on the state, to prove that decal really CAN be affixed in some way to the boat. (I know, try to convince them of that.)

3m VHB tape?(G)

Old 13-02-2016, 12:47   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Bill, thanks for the suggestion of the boat number plate. I looked at that originally but it costs $40 and doesn't include the letters or the glue. You still have the problem of getting it to adhere to the PVC.

S/V B'Shert
Old 13-02-2016, 12:50   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hellosailor, good thoughts about other types of adhesives. For the next dinghy I'll try one of those. Thanks.

S/V B'Shert
Old 13-02-2016, 13:24   #20

Boat: Nauticat 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
Bill, thanks for the suggestion of the boat number plate. I looked at that originally but it costs $40 and doesn't include the letters or the glue. You still have the problem of getting it to adhere to the PVC.

S/V B'Shert
Hi Tayana,

I suspect the Boat Number Plate web site doesn't describe their product well, or at least succinctly....

They are selling a pre-printed patch [infused really- with your registration numbers...] with a smooth spot designed to hold the decal.

They do have a self-adhesive option, but recommend the appropriate 2 part glue compatible with your dinghy fabric [hypalon or pvc]...

In case this helps clarify. [And no, I have no affiliation... My experience is these are the only legal, bullet proof method I have ever found that accommodate routinely deflating the dink...]

In case this helps.

Cheers!

Bill

Short on opinions; focused on research, facts & experience [yours and ours...]
wrwakefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2016, 14:27   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

PVC dinghy and permanent marker

Thanks Bill.

S/V B'Shert
Old 13-02-2016, 20:58   #22

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmoandj View Post
I'm thinking of putting our license numbers on the dinghy (PVC) with permanent marker and stencils (sharpie). Any chance of damaging the dinghy? Thanks everyone
Go to an automotive parts shop and buy a can of vinyl roof paint (used for restoring faded vinyl roofs etc - remember those ).

For a really good job, I went to a signwriter and got him to cut a vinyl lettering stencil for both sides. I wiped the sides with acetone to key the surface for a chemical bond with the paint, peeled and stuck the stencil down then sprayed 6 or 7 very light coats (letting tack off each time so no runs under the stencil).

When peeled off (as soon as the last coat was sprayed on), the lettering was perfect. That was over ten years ago now, and although we do not leave our dinghy in the sun day in, day out (covered on the days when not in use, and rolled up out of season), the lettering is still pretty well as good as the day it went on.

The dinghy is a Zodiac Fastroller in PVC fabric. The fabric is white, with a dark grey rubbing strake. I chose the paint to match the rubbing strake and it looks very smart.

Tags
dinghy

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: