Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2006, 14:10   #1

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Protecting the Speed/Log transducer

Is there a recommended way of protecting the paddle-wheel transducer from build up of barnacles & associated sea-life with resultant lack of functioning of speed / log measurement?

I can pull the transducer out to clean it, or even keep it out while the boat is moored, but every time the transducer is removed or replaced, its a pretty wet exercise.

Can you use, say, anti-foul & thinners on the paddle and environs? Is there any other method that is recommended?
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2006, 17:31   #2

Boat: 34’ Marine Trader
TRANSDUCER ANTI-FOULING PAINT

is available at the following link:

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?...11498&id=28012|

For some reason I can't get this link to work but that is the place. Google transducer anit-fouling paint and you will have the information.

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
--Aristotle
Jentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2006, 06:51   #3

Boat: Privilege 37
All the thru hull transducers that are removable that I have seen have a flap that comes down to minimize the ingress of water. On occassion the flap on my boat has gotten stuck. In this event, I get a LOT of water coming in the boat. I have unstuck the flap and that has minimized the water. Removing the transducer when I am not moving has kept it very clean.

I kind of suspect that painting the paddles of the wheel is going to be a losing proposition. But I learn something every day.

Good luck,

Keith
Strygaldwir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2006, 13:52   #4

No flaps on my thru-hulls.

The instruments are quite old and fairly obscure (Yazaki) but they all work, and instruments have to be one of the most overpriced things (just like anything else with appellate "marine', I guess), so I won't be changing them any time soon.

There is a bit of a knack to taking the transducers or plugs out and putting them back in...one that I haven't really mastered yet - I always seem to get a couple of quarts of water in the bilge / on myself.
Old 16-01-2006, 15:28   #5

Boat: Privilege 37
Yeah;

I kind of hold my hand cupped arround the transducer as I pull it out. My hand is then in a position to cover the opening. I have the plug ready to put it on right after I get the ducer out. I only get a ... quart of water on me and the bilge!

I think the quart of water is less of a head ache than trying to paint the paddle and surrounding fittings with something that is probably not going to be effective.

Your call though.

Good luck.

Keith
Strygaldwir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2006, 18:01   #6

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Weyalan once whispered in the wind:
There is a bit of a knack to taking the transducers or plugs out and putting them back in...one that I haven't really mastered yet - I always seem to get a couple of quarts of water in the bilge / on myself.
If you don't mind taking a plung? One could take a small bucket/cup, with a soft seal around the edge (Plumber's putty), and put it over the paddle wheel to cover the hole while change it out. Or for that matter, one could just leave it in place with a string attached, to protect the wheel from fouling up. When your ready to go out just pull the cup loose with the string.

It works great too if you need to change out a thruhull valve. In Viet Nam we changed out a prop shaft on a swift boat using a bucket and rags.............._/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2006, 20:06   #7

I don't mind taking a plunge, but the water temperature gets down to about 52degF hereabouts, and rarely gets above 66degF, so you dont generally get wet unless you have to.