Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2016, 10:44   #1

Boat: Morgan, 30-1
Protecting galvanized steel anchor

I just bought a 35# CQR anchor from a local sailor. Should I do anything to the anchor to protect it? I thought about sanding it up some and painting it with a zinc spray paint.

Thoughts?
Old 29-09-2016, 13:17   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Protecting galvanized steel anchor

Painting it might help. Sanding will remove galvanizing which you don't want to do. Might wash down with a mild (oxalic) acid solution and a stiff fiber brush before painting.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 13:25   #3

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

The galvanizing is what protects it. If it is starting to rust, paint won't hold that back for too long. Better than nothing though, I guess. But after a few uses in sand, the paint will be off on the leading edges. I do paint mine though, chain too, bright white, but that is to make them easier to see on the bottom.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 13:39   #4

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanbranch View Post
I just bought a 35# CQR anchor from a local sailor. Should I do anything to the anchor to protect it? I thought about sanding it up some and painting it with a zinc spray paint.

Thoughts?
Allan--If there's any rust on it, give the rust spot(s) a good scrub with a stiff wire brush to remove any loose material. Follow that with a couple of good coats of Ospho (available at most big-box hardware stores) and once that dries/cures a couple of coats of zinc based spray paint. Finished bright, the anchor will be easier to see in the water and will also reveal any rust as it begins to develop. The original 35# CQR is a good, albeit old style, anchor and with a good length of chain, you should be able to lay to it with reasonable confidence.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 15:13   #5

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

I've thought about using Hammer-Tite on anchors in order to make them easier to see. In a fashion akin to the Spade anchors, albeit I'd paint more than just the top surface of the flukes. Though the kind of contrast provided by brightly colored paint in that location would make it easier to tell from a distance if the anchor has buried itself properly. Whether you're viewing it from a glass bottomed bucket in the dink, or dive down 20' in 40' of water in order to check it.

Prior to painting it, you might try pressure washing it a few times, prior to one or more of the preperatory steps in some of the above posts. And I'd likely warm it up slightly before painting, as well as after the paint had cured in order to try for an $0.05 "post-cure".

There are also 1-part, & 2-part coatings that are a lot more tenacious & durable than paint. Some of them air dry types, & others needing varying levels of heat in order to reach their maximum physical properties. Particularly their ratings vs. some of the Military testing standards for salt spray or salt water immersion, & also their abrasion wear resistance. And with me being uber-curious, I'd study on such finishes prior to deciding on what to apply overtop of the anchor's galvanizing.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 15:58   #6

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

If you paint the anchor, the paint will have to be removed before it can be re-galvanized. The galvanizing company may charge for that service.

The best way to "protect" the anchor is to have it re-galvanized when you have your anchor chains re-galvanized. Because galvanizers have a minimum weight for a job, the weight of the anchor will help you get over that. Pooling your anchor and chain with the anchors and chains of others will also help reach the minimum weight.
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 16:03   #7

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

I painted my old galvanised anchor top flukes white with some leftover non ferrous use epoxy. Lasted for years. Didn't even do any real prep. It was quite handy, I could see the anchor much better underwater as it came up.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 30-09-2016, 09:09   #8

I paint my cqr white every now and then. I have used zinc paint commercially when I was working. It is expensive, does not wear well at all and does not stick particularly well. The zinc in it is essentially a filler, no galvanic protection. If you use zinc paint, it will look closer to original. if you use white paint, you wont have to pain as often.
Paint it.

ps, I paint mine when I am going to an event and I want it to look good out on the bowsprit.
Redpcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2016, 14:04   #9

Boat: Hartley Sth Seas 38'

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanbranch View Post

Thoughts?
What about first treating it with a rust converter? We have a product here for anchors called Fertan rust converter . It is available online or there must be similar over your way. It is recommended for anchors

It also suggests:
"Chemtech Fertan is a new generation, safe, non-toxic and non-flammable rust converter that penetrates deep into rust to convert it into ferric tannate and also creates a zinc phosphate layer deep below the rust surface to protect the base metal.
It can be overcoated immediately or alternatively provide a "painting window" giving total protection for up to 6 months.

Long lasting protection can be achieved with regular retreatment and provides an alternative to sand blasting and painting.

After treatment can be painted, welded, galvanised or chromed. It can be applied in wet or dry conditions."

We have a brand new anchor so haven't used it but we do use rust converter in other situations and it's a great prep to protect or solve rust issues. I also use hammerite paints (straight over rust) to redo my old steel outdoor furniture. I just redid some after 11 years and the chair frames have been well protected after all this time. Love both products.
Anyhow, just a thought.
Sofie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2016, 15:10   #10

Another thought. I'd be careful of thinking chroming is easily achieved with the rust converter. The family have been chroming since the 70's and it's a process that requires respect. I'm not sure how a new product will work with chroming. Anyway rust converter is an idea and it was galvanised steel that was the anchor mentioned.
Old 30-09-2016, 16:27   #11

Boat: e.a jack (builder), g.l watson (designer), 6.2 mtr wll sailboat

don't put it in saltwater /pack in grease / store in garage
knockabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2016, 16:41   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by knockabout View Post
don't put it in saltwater /pack in grease / store in garage
That'll do it. FWIW my t'other thinks if it falls to pieces it's time for a new one. It's galvanised and shouldn't require painting because it's galvanised!
Old 30-09-2016, 17:42   #13

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Galvanizing wears off over time. As the chain drags back and forth on the sand, or the anchor digs in and out of the sand, it is being wet-sanded, while we use the gear. Therefore, when it starts to get rusty, we start looking for somewhere to re-galvanize them. It is a moderately toxic process, and it's getting harder to find sources of re-galv.

Judging by how fast painted length markers depart from the chain from the above-mentioned wet-sanding, any paint, even the spray can galv will last only for a few anchorings.

Ann
Old 30-09-2016, 17:45   #14

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
It's galvanised and shouldn't require painting because it's galvanised!
Exactly! The steel is protected by the galvo and needs no further help. Painting to increase visibility makes some sense, but there is no paint that has anything like the abrasion resistance of galvanizing.

But despite its good characteristics, the galvo will with lots of use wear off. The only effective repair is re-galvanizing. We (anchoring the great majority of the time) must do this every few years. In typical weekend usage, that would be more like every few decades.

Jim

Hmm... once again I find that Ann and I post similar things at nearly the same time. Great minds, or maybe she peeks over my shoulder... I dunno!
Old 30-09-2016, 23:02   #15

Boat: e.a jack (builder), g.l watson (designer), 6.2 mtr wll sailboat

if the anchor has a hinge pin that's usually where they wear and can't be painted inside / if you lube the pin it works like cutting compound / holds the sand in place and wears faster / viniguard or similar anti foul undercoat sealers work o.k to protect the steel but as explained in the above posts / it doesn't wear as well as galvanised steel
knockabout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, rot, steel