Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2010, 07:12   #31
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
I'll never have an alcohol stove again. Ventilation was a problem. Lousy cooking flame. Lousy fuel and $$

What I do miss is having a diesel stove - kerosene. One fuel source. Sure - a bit messy if not properly vented, and sure...starting with alcohol...but it was simple.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2010, 07:34   #32

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds
I remember a recent account here of a cracked copper line causing a leak into the bilge.

Anyone have a first hand account of other mishaps with propane? Specifically those that include ignition of the gas below.

I've used propane all my life on land, and natural gas for fifteen years. A very small leak stinks greatly, much less volume than what would cause trouble. Of course I realize that the enclosed space below is the issue not as often encountered on land. Though I have seen news accounts of houses blowing up from buildup in the basement or crawl space below the house, ignited by the fridge that kicks on after the buildup or some other source. No one home, because if they were the smell would have warned them.

I believe in safety too, but also realize proper procedure and appropriate caution can mitigate risk to an acceptable level, at least for me.
four winds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2010, 09:29   #33
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by four winds View Post
Anyone have a first hand account of other mishaps with propane? Specifically those that include ignition of the gas below.

357 boats exploded last year from propane fires in the state of Kansas alone!

Its dangerous stuff.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2010, 10:03   #34
cruiser

People do things differently in Kansas.
Old 23-10-2010, 10:23   #35

Agreed it's dangerous. But isn't there a duality in most everything on earth that makes it/them dangerous. A tree is awfully pretty until it falls across one's new BMW. Hopefully without the proud new owner inside.

Stats are fine, but not what I was getting at, I can find those. I'm guessing someone might have first hand knowledge they could share. What went wrong? How did one "get out alive" or not, etc. As a learning exercise to help folks stay safe.

I've inspected my system thoroughly as I have just recently purchased the boat, getting used to it, learning it's systems so I can effect repairs more efficiently, etc. But I'm sure I could learn from first hand info. Not so much from stats. BTW, my boat is sorta old, but the propane setup was installed in 2006 according to paperwork on-board. Looks solid but I don't know everything about this setup I'm sure.

I'm guessing someone in Kansas has burnt their boat down with the other systems as well. Knowing those figures is the only way to see any value in the stat listed.
Old 23-10-2010, 11:51   #36

Boat: Previously Owned Olson 30, Hull 222, Nameless
Thumbs up Thumbs up for the Origo

My Olson 30 came with a gimbaled, Swedish made, stainless steel, Origo 2-burner. It not only cooked our meals but on chilly nights was adequate for heating the entire inside of our boat. No hoses, valves, lockers or extraneous clutter. Elegant simplicity. Nothing to break. Denatured alcohol available at any hardware or paint store.
Jon Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2010, 12:00   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
I put an Origo onto Bellesa. I thought long and hard about how to do a safe propane install, didn't like the options much. I don't mind alcohol stoves, this one boils water quick enough and cooks well. The issues, as I see them, is it can be hard to tell how much fuel you have left in the stove and you can't refill hot. Also it is hard to turn the flame down low enough at times.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2010, 12:03   #38
Armchair Bucketeer

With ventilated propane / gas bottle storage most boats don't explode.

before those became the norm most boats didn't either. (well, not around here).

"back in the day" the MO was always turn the propane / gas off at the bottle - just in case. Although a regulator failure happens most likely for a leak to be in the pipework. and most of that ain't in a ventilated locker. So, I don't really see a ventilated locker as being a major safety feature. Maintanence of pipework and fittings on the other hand would seem to impact more on safety. and a clean run for the pipework.

Nowadays I have an Origo (2 burner - no oven) but that only because what the boat came with. My limited cooking says no difference to my experiances with boat gas. As part of my Galley remodel did think about a change - and maybe even an oven.......but decided to stick with the Origo (but leave space for a Taylors Parrafin - or even a 2 ring gas (propane ) burner).

Origo slightly more inconveniant as a fuel to use (topping up can be a PITa and for low use also evaporation). and I suspect for heavy use a bit more expensive than propane.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2010, 12:07   #39
cruiser

a Taylors Parrafin is what I had on two boats and loved it. They are rare to find and expensive now
Old 23-10-2010, 12:19   #40
Long Range Cruiser

The bit about the 357 boats exploding in one year was a joke...

I thought the give away for the gag was Kansas Get it? Kansas? Not on the sea....

OK, I'll go now

Propane is pretty safe, I've never heard anyone getting blown up... but it probably happens

Old 23-10-2010, 13:14   #41

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
If anyone on board is close to tossing their cookies, one whiff of the Origo and up they will come. I used one on the Olson 30 shop boat for a couple of SF-San Diego races, and that was enough for me.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2010, 13:30   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
The bit about the 357 boats exploding in one year was a joke...

I thought the give away for the gag was Kansas Get it? Kansas? Not on the sea....

OK, I'll go now

Propane is pretty safe, I've never heard anyone getting blown up... but it probably happens

Well Mark, I am laughing know. And feeling a little clueless. In all fairness I've never had the pleasure of visiting Kansas, but I figured they must have some large lakes there (and careless boaters). Most of my sailing has been on inland lakes, not by the sea, so my frame of reference interfered.

I've ridden motorcycles in 36 states and half of Canada, but not Kansas. My loss I'm sure.
Old 23-10-2010, 13:30   #43
cruiser

Kansas has boats. Perhaps we should send you there.
Old 23-10-2010, 13:34   #44
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by four winds View Post

I've ridden motorcycles in 36 states and half of Canada, but not Kansas. My loss I'm sure.
I don't think I've been there either. I bought a camper van in Washington DC and drove it to LA via Florida, New York and Texas..... thats more than some Americans Same as Australia, most people dont go too far from home.

Old 23-10-2010, 13:42   #45

I hear you. The first girl I thought I would marry dumped me when I joined the Air Force. Now decades later she hasn't been more than a hundred miles from home. That one wouldn't have worked out.

The next one (Philippina cutie) dumped me because I got out of the Air Force. That one would have worked out if I'd stayed in.

oh well

Tags
propane, stove, origo