Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 15-11-2010, 03:27   #91

Boat: Dix Caribbea 30'
I realize I'm coming somewhat late to this thread but in case you're still collecting experiences, I will add my endorsement of the Origo. We had the two burner model on the previous boat and it worked flawlessly for coffee, rice, eggs, meat, sauces, pasta... We're used to an electric stove top at home and found the Origo as good or perhaps better. No issues with speed to heat water or anything else.

The current boat came with a propane stove/oven. It's an older system and keeping it would require replacing the hoses and safety shutoff if not the entire system. I plan to replace the stove with an Origo. We won't miss the oven since we barely use the one on land and there are plenty of recipes for "baking" on a stove top. Also, the oven takes up a lot of space but is barely big enough inside to cook a loaf of bread.

The boat does have a Magma grill I want to keep. The difference is that it's a simpler system. When not in use, the single hose from tank to grill can be disconnected and the tank valve closed. The current tank is secured to the stern rail and I have some reading to do to determine how safe that is.

You asked about availability of fuel... denatured alcohol is simply ethyl alcohol (liquor) with additives that render it poisonous and undrinkable. This is done purely for sake of regulating alcohol as a drink. While it's likely to be more expensive, in a pinch we should be able to use high proof booze like rum.

Old 15-11-2010, 06:47   #92
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by erict View Post
This is done purely for sake of regulating alcohol as a drink. While it's likely to be more expensive, in a pinch we should be able to use high proof booze like rum.
The places that are difficult to find denatured alcohol its probably impossable to find the real stuff! Unless you are a Customs officer, of course!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2010, 08:13   #93
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 46' custom cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by erict View Post
While it's likely to be more expensive, in a pinch we should be able to use high proof booze like rum.
Using rum to make tea? I would be more impressed with the Origo if it could do the opposite.
Old 15-11-2010, 08:22   #94

Boat: 1968 Ohlson 38 Sloop
Send a message via Yahoo to phantomracer
We have an origo on our Macgregor. Works VERY well. Far better than most people give it credit for. Have made some nice meals on it. Make the BEST coffee with the coleman camp drip coffee maker!

On our Ohlson 38, it had propane on it, which I am not a fan of. After using it, got to say I like it. Can't say it is BETTER. It sure was a lot more expensive. The tank fit nicely in the aft locker. self contained, 20# tank with overboard venting.

Old 02-05-2011, 12:09   #95

Boat: Bristol Channel Cutter, 28 ft, "Jolie Brise"
Re: Propane vs Origo

We have had butane, propane, and (non-pressurized) alcohol on previous boats. When we bought our most recent boat, we were faced with the decision of what kind of stove to install. (It had no system installed.) We installed an Origo 6000 alcohol stove with oven, and are extremely pleased with it.
Old 02-05-2011, 13:23   #96
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Skippa.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 06:11   #97

Boat: o'day 302

JUST got home from my sailing season two hours ago.we went with coleman stove with 20 pound pound tanks in the sail locker.almost 4 months at sea with extensive cooking and we didnt come close to emptying the second tank.propanes the way to go in my books.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:58   #98

last friday we had lunch on the boat...the next morning it smelled like dead rat (propan leake) lucky we did not try to ignite the stove for coffee...this happened regardless of the cautions we took knowing how dangerous propan can be...it was a leake from the coupling...it was cross threded in the past? and now must be replaced for safty...we where going to instal all the safety hardwhare...but thingking all should be ok for this one weekend....WRONG DEAD WRONG if my gilfriend had gotten up befor me...she would have blown us to kingdome-come...so back to no propan for me ever.

cheers
ps. if needs be id rather burn rum!! however if it gets this bad id probably dring rum and eat sandwiches.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:11   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrybimm View Post
JUST got home from my sailing season two hours ago.we went with coleman stove with 20 pound pound tanks in the sail locker.almost 4 months at sea with extensive cooking and we didnt come close to emptying the second tank.propanes the way to go in my books.
a frind has almost conviced me that 2 tanks of propan would last a year...so I figured he must be right...tryed to forget my past mishape with propan (blew up side of my house and cauld have killed both my kids) so I gave it an other try...but this time was extra carfull...BIG MISTAKE

so to all the fine folks using propane I wish you the best and be safe...its not for me.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:28   #100
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

we had a propane stove leak last year-- two different ones,at the fitting under the first burner neares the small bottle--the force 10 built in one i own is not a leaker and is safe--- i keep a coleman camp stove for emergencies when propane runs out at sea---- old style--- propane-- doesnt leak.. and i keep bubble stuff.. the toy for kids, to make sure i havent a leak situation... is a tool for propane users. i refuse to use alcohol, as it causes burned coach houses, and is difficult to find in many places, whereas propane is commonly used world wide
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 11:14   #101

hello zee

I understand you!!
however any flame is extreamly dangerous...especialy on a boat.
this being said, it is the EXPLOSIVE properties of gas that makes propan more at risk then any alchole or kerosene feuls.
thers a reason why campers are stired to use propane...that reson has more to do with marketing then safty...perhaps in the future we will look at propane use on boats as INSANE...if you ask propane dealers they will say the same about having a wood stove on your boat...20 years ago folks where totaly nuts, they used wood burners onboard...funny is that a wood stove is still the best way to go today...its the only heat generator that alows you to be 100% independent, all it needs is some old beach wood and your set...all other heat generators make you dependent and propane more so then others...however this is not surprising we do live in a world that sales bottled water...and its more expensive then gas.

I say no to this propa-ganda and wish to stay independent of all marketing plots...if at all posible???
cheers
Old 05-05-2011, 19:46   #102

Boat: o'day 302

we just turn off the tank when were almost done cooking to purge the lines...unless the tank valve goes, and then the hose get a hole in it, there is never propane in the cabin unless were cooking.i dont even consider that a risk.its just part of the boat.like the engine.engines dont scare me why would my stove?
Old 09-06-2011, 21:15   #103

Boat: Catalina 30

We had a pressurized alcohol stove. I liked it. It worked pretty much like a coleman camping stove. Cooked fast enough. My wife couldn't stand the fumes. We ended up using CNG now. Really like it except availability is a bit of an issue. It's available cheap here, I made an adaptor to fit into auto CNG fuel pumps. Last time cost less than $1 to fill it!
Old 09-06-2011, 21:32   #104
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

propane i s easily findable and easily obtainable world wide.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 22:05   #105
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

I've cooked with propane, pressurized alcohol and the Origo. I've also played with and repaired the old presurized kerosene stoves. I'd give propane a slight edge over the Origo when it comes to cooking but I've had a two burner Origo on my boat for about twenty years. My wife even likes it. That said, I wouldn't want to try to refill one of the burner/tanks at sea. At least spilled alcohol cleans it self up. I've never had to repair the Origo. I don't think I can say that about anything else on my boat. I vote Origo for coastal cruising, and propane for ocean crossing.

Tags
propane, stove, origo

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: