Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2010, 13:15   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
Propane Transfer ( Flame Suit on )

I'll preface this by telling those who really don't know what's going on to save the flames!

I have two small 5# aluminum LP cylinders for cooking on my boat. Here in KW, they charge the same amount to fill the little buggers as they do for 20#ers. So I adapted some knowledge gained at work to my needs... I transfer fuel to the little ones from a big one.

I am a firefighter/paramedic; on occasion we are called to a leaking propane cylinder. The local gas company guys showed me a trick years ago. They will invert the leaking cylinder, connect a double male POL fitting to both tanks, open the valves and the 10% valve on the empty cylinder. The donor cylinder feeds liquid to the receiving cylinder until it reaches the 10% valve (or OPD) close both valves and you're done.

I made up a hose by fitting a regular bulk tank to appliance adapter:

with a 1 pound refill adapter:

Works like a champ, and I get 3 fills for the price of 1!

The 10% screw is the slotted screw pictured here:

The standard disclaimers of no ignition sources, do not do aboard, wear gloves/goggles, etc apply
Old 11-12-2010, 13:18   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
And you also wear a flame suit while doing the transfer?
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 13:29   #3

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
They've been filling propane tanks by gravity for years in the Bahamas.
Old 11-12-2010, 18:32   #4

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
They've been filling propane tanks by gravity for years in the Bahamas.
And many other places around the world. In fact, we've not seen pressure-pumped LPG delivery since we left the USA. In most places we've visited (including throughout Australia) the main delivery system is decanting from a storage vessel to your small cylinder. In this method, there is a hose delivering liquid LPG from the bottom of the storage tank to the fitting on your small unit. The vent valve is opened, liquid slowly flows, driven by the pressure differential between the unvented storage unit and your vented receptacle. When liquid starts to flow from your vent tube the process is complete and all is shut down. Obviously there is a considerable loss of gaseous LPG in this method, yet one does not hear of disastrous explosions. Thus using the gravity method of the OP is no less safe, and shouldn't be a concern as long as normal safety considerations are followed. Here is one place where the dangers to your health from smoking are fairly quickly evident !

Cheers,

Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II lying Careel Bay, NSW, Oz southbound
Old 11-12-2010, 22:11   #5

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo View Post
I'll preface this by telling those who really don't know what's going on to save the flames!

I have two small 5# aluminum LP cylinders for cooking on my boat. Here in KW, they charge the same amount to fill the little buggers as they do for 20#ers. So I adapted some knowledge gained at work to my needs... I transfer fuel to the little ones from a big one.

I am a firefighter/paramedic; on occasion we are called to a leaking propane cylinder. The local gas company guys showed me a trick years ago. They will invert the leaking cylinder, connect a double male POL fitting to both tanks, open the valves and the 10% valve on the empty cylinder. The donor cylinder feeds liquid to the receiving cylinder until it reaches the 10% valve (or OPD) close both valves and you're done.

The standard disclaimers of no ignition sources, do not do aboard, wear gloves/goggles, etc apply
I've been doing this for 10 years or more. But I do a soapy water check for leaks when done The 1# bottles have a preset safety valve in the top.

And I use to maintain CNG compressors at 4200 psi. Propane is fairly safe in an outdoor environment and under pressure (20 to 100# per temperature). Safer then gasoline!

The hose and adaptors one can get at most marine or outdoor stores.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:19   #6

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 38
Yeah, theat works like a charm....

Just don't do what the shop in Borneo did when we asked them to fill our portable tank:
They were running low in their main tank and would not get enough pressure so they lit a FIRE under their main tank to increase the pressure!

Needless to say we went elsewhere while they were at it and returned much later to pick up our tank.

Not really good for anything, but fun to push down the stairs.
rustypirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2010, 06:04   #7

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
If you hang the filling tank higher and out in the sun and keep the tank to be filled covered with wet towels, you don't need to open the bleed valve--you can fill your tank in an hour or two without any gas escaping.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2010, 06:37   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustypirate View Post
Yeah, theat works like a charm....

Just don't do what the shop in Borneo did when we asked them to fill our portable tank:
They were running low in their main tank and would not get enough pressure so they lit a FIRE under their main tank to increase the pressure!

Needless to say we went elsewhere while they were at it and returned much later to pick up our tank.
YIKES!
Old 27-12-2010, 18:06   #9

Boat: 1997 Sabre 362
I made up a hose like that a few years ago but have yet to use it. Glad to hear it works. I made it up because so many places don't actually fill your tank, they want you to swap out. This way I figured I could get a swapper & decant.
Also made an adapter for the 1 lb hardware store bottles to fit the hose, thinking of coastlines like Nova Scotia that have limited supply access for yachties.
Shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2010, 18:56   #10
Ike

Boat: FL12 12 ft rowboat, 8 foot sailing dink, 18 foot SeaRay I/O
You don't have to make up a hose. You can buy one at any RV store.
Old 28-12-2010, 19:05   #11

I have had to do this routinely. You can refill a tank to 50% within a few minutes. Its enough to get someone going when they have run out. We refilled quite a few bottles before the 2009 ARC since they could not be refilled in Gran Canaria. We filled our UK 6kg bottles to 50% and they lasted us until we reached the USA 7 months later. The OP's system with factory-made components make it even less risky. Although I could not recommend anyone do it for obvious reasons.
jram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2010, 19:36   #12

Boat: csy 37
for what it's worth, i regularly fill the little coleman 1 pound bottles from my 20 pound tank using that little brass adapter you can buy at camping stores for under $20.

the trick, as i have learned (after i actually read the instructions), is to cool down the small bottle. i do it in the fridge. then attach the two, invert the larger tank over the smaller bottle, and you can almost hear the 'whoosh' as it fills up.

hell of a lot cheaper than buying the small bottles at camping stores.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2010, 19:37   #13

Boat: Bombay PH 31
Did youu try the shell next to the bight or on stock island? never had problems with either and their cheaper than refilled or city gas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo View Post

keyspc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2010, 19:59   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Actually no.... Suburban was the ones who wanted the minimum price... I'll try them (shell) they are a 2 minute walk away! Thanks