Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 15-01-2013, 06:31   #16

Boat: S2 11m c/c
Re: Propane tank re-fill's

Thank you everyone for all this information. I believe I'll carry two 20 tanks to get the most out of the system (stove/oven & BBQ) and increase my time between refill's. Thanks again .
AL

Old 15-01-2013, 06:37   #17

Boat: Seafarer 34 Sloop

How picky are some of the places that do a refill? I have an old propane tank, thats been painted over by the PO, and there is no mfg markings etc. I am sure he had no issues with getting it filled while the PO spent most of his time in Rio Dulce, but in the states I think it will be difficult to get refilled. I have a new propane tank, but it doesnt fit nicely into where I have the older tank, and I dont want to be strapping the new tank on the aft section of the boat, as I have seen others do. Is it possible to do a transfer? Like take my new tank in to be refilled, then transfer the propane to my older tank?

Old 15-01-2013, 06:45   #18

Not sure if I featured in the GT propane line photo, but when we needed to refill there the propane delivery truck broke down and needed to go back 3 days running, then wait about 4 hours!! All part of the fun in the sun!!
Old 15-01-2013, 07:33   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

The season has a lot to do with how much we use. But as far as refills, our rack holds a #1 gallon tank but we fill it ourselves with a larger fiberglass unit. If we run into a place where they only have exchange, we take the tank and transfer into our tank ...
Its easy and safe to transfer with the right fittings.. you conect both tanks with a.common hose, turn the full tank upside down and set it higher than the empty tank, open both and let set. The fluid will drain into the lower tank. Very common to carry multiple fittings as different countries used different conections. Even in the US there are two, an old style screwing inside and new version using a plastic knob on the outside..
Old 15-01-2013, 08:33   #20
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOak View Post
How picky are some of the places that do a refill? I have an old propane tank, thats been painted over by the PO, and there is no mfg markings etc. I am sure he had no issues with getting it filled while the PO spent most of his time in Rio Dulce, but in the states I think it will be difficult to get refilled. I have a new propane tank, but it doesnt fit nicely into where I have the older tank, and I dont want to be strapping the new tank on the aft section of the boat, as I have seen others do. Is it possible to do a transfer? Like take my new tank in to be refilled, then transfer the propane to my older tank?
Yes it is possible, we do it often. We use gravity to fill the empty one, we connect the two tanks and hoist the full one above the empty one, valves pointing to each other. Open the valves, first the empty one. Check for leaks. If they not realy run I heat the bottom of the full one with my wifes hear dryer to ingrease the pressure.

We usely fill 2 x 5 kg bottles out of one 11 kg bottle and return the empty 11 kg bottle to the depot.

CeesH
Old 15-01-2013, 09:36   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Living on dirt waiting for our new yacht to be built.
Boat: Half built Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeesH View Post
If they not realy run I heat the bottom of the full one with my wifes hear dryer to ingrease the pressure.
In the interests of safety I would recommend using a heat source (if needed) that is not also an ignition source. The sun, or hot water is better.
Old 15-01-2013, 15:29   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore" Ben393 "Breathless"

In the Bahamas, especially GT they will fill anything! In most places in the US they will not fill a tank if it looks rusty (they always check the dates too).
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 16:21   #23

Boat: Carter offshore 35

There is an adapter you can get to use the small propane bottles ( burnzamtic bottle) on the larger system. Works in a pinch when you need that morning coffee.

Tags
propane

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: