Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2010, 17:37   #1

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 Who Knew
Propane Installation Fittings

Hi folks,

I recently acquired a 2007 FP Lavezzi. The propane tank was not installed. I have one FP butane tank (full), an empty propane tank and one tank pigtail. No pressure gauge, regulator, or solenoid, or supply line from the solenoid exists. There is a copper supply line that is connected to an ENO stove with the other end terminates in the propane locker with a 20mm female fitting. The copper line extends 5 inches into the propane locker.

I can find these components easily but I cannot find a supply hose from the solenoid to the 20mm fitting which leads back to the stove. The pressure gauge, regulator, and solenoid use US standard fittings which does not help with the 20mm female fitting. I have been trying to find someone to make a custom hose, but the local LP shops can't deal with the female 20mm fitting. I believe the 20mm fitting requires a compression type male connector. I though about replacing the copper with new flexible tube but it is going to be difficult to route from the propane locker to the backside of the saloon; it's expensive hose.

I am looking for suggestions for alternative approaches to the problem.
KenR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2010, 20:08   #2

Boat: Ericson 29
Try a hydraulic shop. They usually have all the fittings and can make up any type of hose.
Camd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2010, 20:31   #3
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
We have a goodyear hose and rubber shop in St pete. When I did my install I brought in parts, chose hose type(had 4 or 5 propane type hoses) and they made the hose and brought all fittings out in about 10 minutes. I chose a hose with a braided teflon cover.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2010, 06:52   #4

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
I did what Camd is suggesting, had a local hydraulic shop press the fitting on the hose that connects to the copper line. I think they charged me $5. I used the rubber hose that came on the boat and cut it about 3 inches from the butane regulator, that way I could use a readily available fitting for the new propane regulator and had it pressed on the boat side of where I cut the hose.

I used the Xintex solenoid/controller as it works on the high pressure side of the regulator and I wanted to have the shutoff as close to the tank as possible.

BTW, I cut the rubber hose on my gas grill at home, used a double ferrell/hose clamps and burnt up all the butane from the boat in my outdoor grill (the low pressure side of the regulator is only 1/2 lb and it's outdoors). Yeah, I'm cheap, but the real reason is I couldn't find any place that would take the butane tanks (there were 3 on my boat) until they were empty. My wife wouldn't let me take them 10 miles offshore and shoot them with a gun! She was afraid they would come at the boat like a flaming torpedo!
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2010, 06:56   #5

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 Who Knew
Thanks everyone,

I tried a hydraulic shop and they said I needed to bring the 20 mm fitting to the shop because there are too many types of threads. That is a little difficult when the fitting is attached to the boat. I am looking for a metric thread gauge. I measured the outer diameter of female fitting at the tip of the treads and determine 20mm.

What do you think of switching out the copper tubing with the fixable LPG hose?
KenR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2010, 10:59   #6

Boat: Ericson 29
When I built my system I went to the hydraulic shop with everything I had (solenoid & regulators) and we built the system around it right in the store. That would be the benefit of using new hoses. On the other hand, if you can find an adapter it'll save you money.
Camd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
installation, propane, regulator, solenoid, supply line