Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 04-04-2010, 15:09   #1

Boat: Radford 40
Propane Galley Stove Replacement

My Plastimo propane stove is giving up the ghost after 15 years!! I am down to one burner, the grill does not work and the oven just decides every now and then to cut out.

I am looking for recommendations for a good quality brand to purchase (or to avoid), then I can research size and price options,

I do not wish to replumb from propane to other fuels, so comments on propane models is what I am after!

Tom

Old 04-04-2010, 16:05   #2

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
The three burner Force 10 would be my very first pick Tom. See here: FORCE 10 - Cooking Without Compromise - Products

I know they have a bad customer service rep from time to time, but they have always been very nice to me...

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 17:17   #3

Regretably I do not have space for any of the three burner models without ripping out the galley and starting over!

I have heard some folks complain about the quality of the stove itself, components a little less substantial than some of the others that are available, any comments?

Tom
Old 05-04-2010, 15:13   #4

Boat: CSY 44 Walk Through
Tom,
You haven't said what all you have checked and not checked. So I will throw out a suggestion. The older Force 10's had a problem with their jets. They were made out of aluminium and would corrode internally. Once a year it was required to remove the jets and clean them because the burners and oven wouldn't work properly. I know your stove is not a Force, but it might have the same problem.
WD
Old 05-04-2010, 16:44   #5

Thanks Ice Man for the advice! My stove is a Platimo. I can no longer buy the plates that cover the hobs, and had some made up in South Africa last year, but the pieces below the left burner are all corroded and the screw that holds everything in place is stripped. The replacement burner for the grill hits at over $200 bucks, and now with the oven deciding to just be tempermental, I am thinking it is time to just spring for an all new stove rather than throw money at a 15 year old piece of equipment!

I have found a stove, the MASTERGRILL 2 BURNER TECHIMPEX , available from Island Water world , that meets my requirements for size and function, does any one have experience of info about this model or the manufacturer? Cost is around $1,000 USD.

Regards

Tom
Old 05-04-2010, 17:21   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I picked up a Seaward Princess and we've had great results with it over the last three years of living aboard. Two burner model.
Old 05-04-2010, 17:28   #7

Boat: 82 Present, 13 ft dinghy
I do not know what your habits for electric usage (how much on the hook or mooring) but I use a small electric convection toster oven from Costco for about a hundred bucks and I bought a LP gas hotplate, 2 burners from an online RV supply company for $125. Suburban is the brand.

I have no complaints about my setup, but if you do not have a generator and you are on the hook the toster oven will stay off I guess. I just could not justify the expense of a range.

I have been looking at the Coleman line of Tailgate Grills. They look pretty good, I have a little stainless Magma that came with the boat, I am going to try it first but I suspect the Coleman witll be it. Little bracket work so it will hang over the side and I think I will be a happy griller.
Old 05-04-2010, 17:31   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Also, here's a blog post of when we did it (with pictures of the old kerosense one):

Rebel Heart - The boat and her crew - Eric's Blog - Meet our new*stove!
Old 05-04-2010, 17:55   #9

Location: North Fort Myers cruising to the Chesapeake Bay real soon.
Boat: Carri Craft, Casa Grande, 57' "White Feather"
I have the Seaward Princess. I did have the electric model but changed over to propane. Great little stove. About 22 inches wide by 22 inches deep and 22 inches tall. It sips propane and cooks very well. I have a 4 burner gas grill topside with the side burner. The little Princess stove is great.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:52   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Feather View Post
I have the Seaward Princess...
Great little stove...
We also liked our Seward Princess 2423 ("Hillerange"), but often wished for an oven.
Over-all dimensions: 21-1/4" W x 14" D x 9" High
Cut-out dimensions: 20-1/2" W x 13-1/8" D x 8-3/4" High

Seaward Products
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hillerange STOVE.jpg
Views:	491
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	14754  

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 13:21   #11

Mine is a 3 burner with oven. I still have the electric if anyone is interested in it. It weighs about 80 pounds. That's just a guess from lifting it out of the boat and carrying it. I could be a bit off but it should ship. It is an older version but it all worked and only had one chip on the range front as I recall.
Old 06-04-2010, 14:21   #12

Boat: Hans Christian 33
I'll put in another vote for the 2 burner Seward Princess. We live aboard and use this stove daily.

One thing that we've found to help even out the oven cooking is to keep a ceramic pizza stone in there on the bottom rack (one of the small rectangular stones normally sold for countertop ovens).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stove.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	14759  
Old 06-04-2010, 17:21   #13

Thanks for the tip about the stone. When using glassware we sometimes get a darker area at the back of the oven. I thought it was just that my wife can't cook. Bummer, it was the stove all the time. I guess I have got to eat some burnt crow, huh?
Old 07-04-2010, 12:37   #14

Boat: Custom 85', 1934 Wooden Schooner named DESTINY
I've been following along with all the posts and am in a similar situation needing to replace an old Force 10. Cleaning the jets didn't help. Oven doesn't work above 200 degrees, but the 3 burners work great. Does anyone know of a stove with oven large enough to use 9 x 13 backware in? Can't seem to locate one with a almost regular size oven. Yes, my galley is big enough to put in a stove that big, Thank God!
Old 07-04-2010, 15:42   #15

Boat: CSY 44 Walk Through
CCR,
Another thing with the oven on the force 10's, especially the older ones, there is a metal plate over the flame thingy (sorry for the lack of the exact names but am having a senior moment) if it is warping in the heat or is just warped, broken, missing or in the wrong place, the oven will not heat properly and not reach the desired heat.
WD

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: