Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2010, 14:51   #16

Boat: Custom 85', 1934 Wooden Schooner named DESTINY
Thanks for that info - will check. Still would like to replace it though. The oven is big enough to almost fit a 5 x 7 loaf pan into! Taking off on RTW trip, so a new/newer stove that works would be wonderful.

DH
CCR Divers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 17:11   #17

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"
One caution concerning the Seaward stoves is that the less expensive models have only 5,000 BTU top burners which may be too anemic if you do a lot of fancy cooking.

Mike
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 17:42   #18

Boat: Radford 40
I would really like a stove that fits into a smaller space thanwhat everyone hear is discussing, it must firt into about 470mm width, depth and height are not the issue! I would like also to have the grill and the oven,

Suggestions?
Tom Hildebrandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 03:44   #19

Boat: 1997 Sabre 362
My 2 burner Seaward w/oven came w/my 1985 Pearson when purchased in 04. A couple of years ago I completely dismantled, mostly to give a deep clean but also replace oven controls because it the oven was not working. I was very impressed w/the construction & the fact that you could indeed take it apart & rebuild. These are very well built stoves. Works great too.
I like the pizza stone suggestion re: the oven. Otherwise pan bottom gets too hot. We also used an extra shallow steel pan upside down.
Shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 03:50   #20

Shorty Does your model have a grill? What is the width? I only have about 480 mm in width to include gimbals!

Tom
Old 08-04-2010, 04:58   #21

Boat: 1997 Sabre 362
Probably won't fit. Mine is essentially the same as the current model Model 2174 . My comment was largely about the quality of construction in case they make a smaller model. The Seaward is a pretty "standard" size.
They have a couple of single burner units that would fit Gas Stoves but that probably ain't gonna help.
Shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2010, 13:20   #22

Boat: Cal 34 & Pearson 424
I've been reading stove posts for years, waiting for someone to say they refused to spend $1000-1200 for a little stove, got an RV model instead, and it did/did not last. So, here is a 17" RV stove with oven for $377.

Atwood Vision 3-Burner RV Camper Oven Range Stove 17 w/ Piezo - $..
s/v Breakaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2010, 13:51   #23

I think the problem with the stoves is that the installation is a bigger issue than the cost (even at $1000). I had to install the propane line, get a tank, regulator, T valve for a grill, run the line, un-plumb the kerosene, get the old stove out, throw it away, clean the recess it sits in, mount new gimble blocks, and finally put the stove in.

No way in hell was I going to do all of that with even the slightest possibility that it wouldn't last me for a few decades. Heck even getting the sizing right so that it's "big enough" but doesn't swing and smash into the bulkhead was hard enough.

And as a married guy, having the galley offline is something that I don't want to do that often.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 21:48   #24

S/V Breakaway I do not doubt that the stove you mention would be great in an RV, but for a marine application, if it is not gimballed, it just will not work on the typical cruising yacht specifically a mono hull, , ie,side galley with the gimbal running fore to aft so as the boat heels , the stove remains level. Another consideration is the lack of something to keep the pots on top of the hobs and from going flying when the gimbal gets a bit overwhelmed,

No doubt there are those out there who can take this $400 unit you recommend, and figure out how to gimbal the unit, and who can devise a method of keeping stuff on the hobs, and I say bully for them, but it is not me!

It isalso true that you can get by with just a two burner surface mount stove, on catamarans I have seen several of these installations, but I doubt a surface mounted unit would be very functional on a monohull that was beating to windward in Force 5 knots!

I do agree with your underlying premise, we consumers of yachty type things pay well and above the cost to produce a given item, Designning a gimble and manutacturing the remnnants of the datunit

For the info of all these posters, I made the decison not to replace my stove at this juncture in time, I bought a BBQ grill that is mountable (and removeable) that can be used not just as a grill but as a hob or an oven, so I have a backup to the stove should it falter. Total cost including the hose to hook it directly into the propane sstem, ajust slightly more than $400 including shipping.
Old 16-12-2012, 05:14   #25

Boat: Radford 450 45' Vamoose
Re: Propane Galley Stove Replacement

Look out for Force 10 they do not support their stoves once sold. I just tried to buy the top grill and three burner tops the little round pieces that fit on top of the stove and it would cost over $550.00. To fit the new grill top you also have to buy the whole new stainless back panel for the stove because they will not sell you just the grill they say the new one cannot be adapted to a 7 year old stove. You cannot buy just the small round burner tops they want to sell you all new electrics, thermo kit the works. What ever happened to customer service with a smile. In the future I will look for a company that supports their products
minisailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2012, 08:07   #26

Boat: Homemade plywood catamaran houseboat, 49'

I, too, am in the market for a propane stove to go in our Work-in-Progress homemade houseboat, on which we hope to eventually explore the entire U.S. east coast. It's almost time to start building the galley! This unlikely craft is pretty stable, so gimballed won't be necessary. I normally cook and bake a lot, but I'm not at all sure how much I'll be inspired to do once this contraption is actually underway. I may decide, hey, I'm on vacation, too. But the idea of a high-output burner on which to use a wok, or to boil water for fresh-caught crabs appeals a lot, and an oven with enough space for actual use would also be nice. But, ye gods and little fishes... $1300 to $1600 for dollhouse furnishings? Yikes! I don't supposed buying used would be a good idea, right? All advice much appreciated!
Reiheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2012, 08:33   #27

Boat: islandpacket
I dont cook underway. On a home built house boat I would just get a house stove or an apartment size one.
Old 29-12-2012, 18:47   #28

Thanks for the thought. The galley will be rather boatish in size and configuration, rather than like an apartment, but maybe it will be shielded from salt air enough that an RV stove, at just over a third the price of marine units, will suffice.
Old 30-12-2012, 07:57   #29

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Butterfly 2412 Brass Pressure Stove

Not propane, but that's what I use when away from shore power. Cheap and compact enough to keep a couple of spares! Runs on kerosene or diesel. I am going to make a gimballed holder for it that will also hold a pot securely, one of these days.
GrowleyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2012, 13:54   #30

LOL... Takes me back, that does. In fact, I still have a white-gas Optimus 8R one-burner stove from backpacking days, oh, about 40-50 years ago. Hmm. Freeze-dried chilimac again tonight... I will keep that thought in mind!