Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2012, 11:30   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin
Propane Bottles

I am planning on carrying two 40 lb propane bottles on my back deck. Actually it’s the top of the aft cabin. My boat is a Mainship 36 DC and is not unlike most 36 aft cabin models. I would like to bracket them against the short bulkhead section which is the salon bulkhead that extends up to the fly bridge.
Does anyone here carry propane bottles and how do you do it and what kind of brackets or tie-downs do you use?
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 14:45   #2

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason
Re: Propane Bottles

Curious why you are carrying so much propane.

We carry two 20 lbs bottles.... My wife is Italian and cooks every day and still one tank last about 2.5 months

There are a number of kits made to hold your tanks...

This is sold at West Marine... Here is the link

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 02:48   #3
Marine Service Provider

I plan on also using propane for an instant-on hot water heater. I have no idea how much gas the instant om hot water heaters use since I have never owned one.
The reason I was thinking of the 40's is because I already own 2 of them. Maybe I should sell them and buy two 20's.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:54   #4

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

I just don't like keeping more propane on the boat than would be necessary...

Propane is avaliable throughout the world...

I guess you should ask yourself if you are going to be out for long periods of time without access to propane distributors?

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:59   #5
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiason View Post
Propane is avaliable throughout the world...
While propane availability is fairly widespread, sometimes it involves tossing empty bottles into a dink and lugging them through town. That's going to be twice as hard with twin 40's.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:31   #6
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
........tossing empty bottles into a dink and lugging them through town. That's going to be twice as hard with twin 40's.
Getting them out of the dink when full will be even more challenging. I have a crane on the boat, but that's another story. After giving it some thought from replies on here and other forums, two 20’s would be a much better option. They would certainly be easier to handle if I have to bum a ride.
While posting, I had completely forgot that the tanks must travel upright. Usually when I'm alone, I stand them up on the floor of my truck (leaning, actually) in the passenger seat area. In someone else's vehicle this might not be possible. It would be a lot easier to tie down 20's rather than 40's in a strangers P/U truck.
Also, I come to the realization that if one tank runs dry, there will still be no hurry to get it filled.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:35   #7
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

One of my dock neighbors just switched to the fiberglass propane bottles. What's cool about them is you can see the level of available fuel without needing a gauge. Were I starting with new bottles I'd be opting for them.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:55   #8

a small on demand hot water heater doesnt use much. Unfortunately I cant tell you how much, but one 20 pound cyl lasted about 2 months for cooking and hot water. But we didnt shower every day either.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:58   #9

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
While posting, I had completely forgot that the tanks must travel upright. Usually when I'm alone, I stand them up on the floor of my truck (leaning, actually) in the passenger seat area. In someone else's vehicle this might not be possible. It would be a lot easier to tie down 20's rather than 40's in a strangers P/U truck.
Also, I come to the realization that if one tank runs dry, there will still be no hurry to get it filled.
No! They don't need to travel upright, just used in the position they were meant to be used in (upright/horizontal). It's acetylene that needs to be kept upright due the the internal elements of a acetylene bottle. http://www.airproducts.com/~/media/F...etygram-13.pdf
http://www.lindeus.com/internet.lg.l...e138_21859.pdf
Old 01-11-2012, 10:15   #10

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey

No! They don't need to travel upright, just used in the position they were meant to be used in (upright/horizontal). It's acetylene that needs to be kept upright due the the internal elements of a acetylene bottle. http://www.airproducts.com/~/media/F...etygram-13.pdf
http://www.lindeus.com/internet.lg.l...e138_21859.pdf
+1. Propane doesn't care if it lays on its side, is inverted, or even towed behind the dink in the water. What matters is the orientation of the bottle while delivering product. "Normal" bottles are designed to deliver vapor from the valve above the liquid. Forklift bottle are designed to deliver liquid from a pickup tube.
There is nothing in the bottle that requires that it be kept in any one orientation unless it is actively delivering product as intended.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:38   #11
Marine Service Provider

Thank for the info.
Someone once told me that they must travel upright and I never questioned it.
After all this time, now you tell me. LOL
Old 01-11-2012, 11:31   #12

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
I plan on also using propane for an instant-on hot water heater. I have no idea how much gas the instant om hot water heaters use since I have never owned one.
The reason I was thinking of the 40's is because I already own 2 of them. Maybe I should sell them and buy two 20's.
I have an instant propane water heater at the house and a 6-burner commercial stove (major BTU's). Normal daily use of each on a 35 lb tank will last us about 2 months. Oh, and "normal" daily use ashore means at least one "hollywood" shower per person (2) per day, sometimes two, and essentially no efforts to conserve water (over abundant here). So, aboard the boat I would expect it to last longer.

I don't know the technical details on mine off hand, but check the manufacturer's specs -- this may give you something more analytic and precise re volume of propane usage.

Also, be very careful how you install one of these on a boat. I would strongly consider mounting it in a vented, isolated, compartment on the aft deck also. Mine at home is installed adjacent to the house in a covered, but partially open utility area so ventilation is quite good. Both the fact that it is a propane device and it's exhaust can make it dangerous.

Also, be sure you size correctly for water volume and pressure (vendor should be able to help you with this). Mine was a bit of a challenge to get dialed in and consistently working properly. I went big, thinking of course that bigger is better, but this caused some issues because our normal pressure and flow are on the low-end for this unit. Will probably downsize it in the future.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:36   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
One of my dock neighbors just switched to the fiberglass propane bottles. What's cool about them is you can see the level of available fuel without needing a gauge. Were I starting with new bottles I'd be opting for them.
Not to discourage you, but some states may not fill the new fiber tanks. This is depending on where you cruise of course.

Alabama is one of those states. They ruled against the new fiber tanks. They don't sell them, nor will they refill them.

Not sure how many more will or will not.

James L
propellanttech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:54   #14

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by propellanttech View Post
Not to discourage you, but some states may not fill the new fiber tanks. This is depending on where you cruise of course.

Alabama is one of those states. They ruled against the new fiber tanks. They don't sell them, nor will they refill them.
Any idea why Alabama, or other States, made this ruling?

Fiberglass pressure tanks are not really "new". They've been in use by fire fighters for years. Just new to the propane market I think.

I have one fiberglass tank on my boat -- no problems filling in Central American countries so far (purchased here in Guatemala). Of course...you can get just about anything filled here.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 13:02   #15

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Any idea why Alabama, or other States, made this ruling?

Fiberglass pressure tanks are not really "new". They've been in use by fire fighters for years. Just new to the propane market I think.

I have one fiberglass tank on my boat -- no problems filling in Central American countries so far (purchased here in Guatemala). Of course...you can get just about anything filled here.
Just to add, automotive CNG bottles rated at 4500 psi are also fiberglass and will take a bullet hit from a 30-06 when full.

Tags
propane