Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2011, 09:29   #16
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Prop Shaft leaking......

my packing gland is a flanged unit and was spozed to be packed before installat uion--was nt. was leaking like crazy. whil eunderway, my crew stuffed it with flax packing material. we dealt qith it in water and without a diver, not that much comes in. nw i need to add packing as the flax is as tight as is spozed to be and still needs more packiing material-- will be done in water, as very little comes in while doing this ask. i had to pump out about 3 gallons when the packing was added-- which is less than when i was sitting on my mooring wondering wtf to do... just go for it-- do it from inside and make sure your pumps are on-- you will surprise yourself.
bw--when shaft turns, makes leaking more-- make sure the packing is done so there is only one drop per 60 seconds when you are finished. if you use teflon or gore tex packing, there will be no drip at all.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 22:04   #17

Hi, I am away from my boat and will be for several more weeks. A friend checked her for me and said that I is filling with quite a bit of water. I am pretty sure it is the stuffing box but as I said I won't be able to get to it for several weeks. Does anyone have any suggestions for someone who can do this type of maintenance in the Wilmington/ Southport, NC Area?
Old 08-08-2011, 14:29   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: Prop Shaft Leaking

STG, is that a rusted pipe going to a through hull underneath the prop shaft. It really doesn't look good in that picture.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 14:50   #19

Boat: Egg Harbor sedan cruiser 1970

use gfo marine packing instead of that hard flax wax packing.
http://www.gfopacking.com/

It is so much better.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 15:21   #20

Boat: Catalina 42 Pacific cruise to Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieBsailing View Post
Hi, I am away from my boat and will be for several more weeks. A friend checked her for me and said that I is filling with quite a bit of water. I am pretty sure it is the stuffing box but as I said I won't be able to get to it for several weeks. Does anyone have any suggestions for someone who can do this type of maintenance in the Wilmington/ Southport, NC Area?

Surely your friend could pump the bilge for you or check why the electric bilge pump is'nt doing it's job?
Jamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 15:21   #21

I dunno about the rusty pipe, how about the rusty coupling on the larger hose and missing clamps? I guessing exhaust or cockpit drain.
This boat needs serious maintenance
bazzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leaks