Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2018, 07:31   #1

Boat: Eastward ho 24, Downeaster 32, scarab sprint 18
Profurl furling line replacement questions about lengths..

Hello every one. I’ve got a Profurl roller furler on my boat.I need to replace the line. I’ve already bought 50’ of 1/4 “ rope and it wasn’t enough. I can’t determine what model I have but ( I’ve got a downEaster 32 with a 3’ bowsprit )the model r250 is for boats 19’ to 30’ and will take ; 6mm 11,1 m, or 8mm 6,2m “drum capacity”. Or the model r420 for boats 37 to 47 will take 8mm 31,4m, or 10mm 20,1m. The units old I can’t identify the model but I assume it’s either of the 2 so I figure I can’t go wrong getting 31,4 m of 8mm line. Seems to me this is a fairly trivial question, but I messed up once already.I would have thought the 50’ of 1/4’ line would have been plenty, but it’s plenty short. It was just cheap crap line so I could go sailing that day. However I’m gonna go ahead and buy some real line now and don’t want to mess it up again. So I’m thinking drum capacity of 31,4 (103’[?] seems like a hell of a lot), plus the length of the boat 35’ seems like a whole hell of a lot more! Am I doing his right? I’m not at the boat it’s a long drive to it and I’m trying to do this from the cpu so I can drive down next weekend and have the line ready to sail. I assume I roll in the genny enough where the sheets have 3 or 4 wraps on the genny, this would be my furled in position. At this point I’d tie the line to the drum and pull out the sail100% this would pull in the reefing line, and however much it takes back to the winch and to the cleat would be my length of line, plus throw in some turns of the drum 145-150’ doesn’t sit right in my head. Am I missing somthing?

Here’s the link to the furling unit specs I have ;

Racing range

P.s. was gonna use New England sta set 5/16 not really what I was hoping to spend on line what type of line are others using?
Eastward ho 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2018, 16:00   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Re: Profurl furling line replacement questions about lengths..

You're overthinking this. All you need remaining on the drum with the sail unfurled are a few wraps, perhaps eight feet. When you furl you just add the length of the foot of your sail to those "insurance" wraps and the length back to your furling line cleat. I'll take a wild guess that your sails foot is 15', the wraps on the drum 8', and the run from the drum back to your furling line cleat in your cockpit is 32'. So we add 15' + 8' + 32' = 55'
A line double your LOA would give you room for error.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2018, 18:01   #3

Hmm maybe they cut my line short since I figured 50 foot and it was way short I’ll check again..
Old 20-05-2018, 19:28   #4

If there is no old line that was close to correct then IMHO there are a couple of ways to determine the length needed, but you can’t calculate it because the ratio of drum size to circumference of sail wrapped around the foil is not 1:1 or any other fixed ratio. Both the circumference of the sail and the drum change as you wrap and unwrap the sail.

I would use an old line or spare line of the size you wish to use on the drum and measure what it takes. If ¼ is what you want for a furling line then use the ¼ to determine how much more you need. Close to the end of the furl, you can count the number of additional wraps and multiple that by the circumference of the almost filled drum and get close. You want a tail long enough that you can work the line from any place in the cockpit. If single handing, you are going to have tailing line in one hand and jib sheet in the other and the jib sheet you wish to tension is not always going to be on the same side of the boat as the furling line. Extra line you will never use is not a good value but a little too short is much more expensive a proposition.

You do want a couple of turns on the drum when the sail is completely furled with a couple of wraps of sheet around the sail. With big headsails the drum can get pretty full when the sail is fully deployed. I use 3/8 double braid on my Profurl and would not go smaller because it is so much easier to handle than smaller line. I reduced the volume (not the length) on the drum by removing the core from the part of the line that will never get back to the cockpit. I have had to so some serious winching on my furling line a few times and after years of service the Sta-Set with no core is still more than strong enough.
um saudade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2018, 20:22   #5
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

^^ A second to removing a portion of the core from 3/8" line. 1/4" is really too small to hold on to in a breeze.

The genoa was very similar size on this 32' cat, and recall the furler line was ~ 55 feet, but it was center cockpit and the line was at the front of the cockpit.
Old 21-05-2018, 06:31   #6

I like the some of 3/8. Remove the core from the portion on the drum ? I'll do a Google search on removeing the core. How's it done?
Old 21-05-2018, 07:28   #7

I used 61 feet of 3/8", never cored anything. 34 foot boat, cleat at aft end on pushpit, LCI 32.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2018, 08:19   #8

Boat: Beneteau 343

2x LOA plus 5 - 10' is what I would do and you might have a bit extra to use for low-stretch lashing or expensive fender whips.
EmeraldCoastSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2018, 08:23   #9

Boat: Jeanneau 43ds

If the line you tried has turned out to be too short you could alwyas simply buy more of the same line and splice the two together. Braid on braid is a bit of a challenge but not rocket science.
Andrew
Old 21-05-2018, 19:54   #10

Boat: Morgan 384/ 1982

Buy some staset line for the furler. Pull the boats length of core out of the line and cut it off. now the flat line will wrap around the drum to get more line on the drum. Stay set line is just as strong without the core as with !
I do this on my boat and it works well .
stnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2018, 20:03   #11

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by stnick View Post
Buy some staset line for the furler. Pull the boays length of core out of the line and cut it off. now the flant line will wrap around the drum to get more line on the drum. Stay set line is just as strong without the core as with !
I do this on my boat and it works well .
This is not accurate. StaSet is a double braid that shares the load, somewhat equally, between the core and the cover.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2018, 20:20   #12

Boat: Morgan 384/ 1982

I have stayset on my furler for 4 years now . 38 morgan not a light boat . I just did what my rigger advised. If its not as strong i stand corrected. Not that it will ever break on a furler !
stnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2018, 20:35   #13

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by stnick View Post
I have stayset on my furler for 4 years now . 38 morgan not a light boat . I just did what my rigger advised. If its not as strong i stand corrected. Not that it will ever break on a furler !
3/8 staset has:
Tensile Strength: 4,400 lbs
Even if you divide by 2 or 2.5 it's pretty strong.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2018, 20:47   #14
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastward ho 24 View Post
I like the some of 3/8. Remove the core from the portion on the drum ? I'll do a Google search on removeing the core. How's it done?

https://www.practical-sailor.com/iss...e_11922-1.html

It's easy. Just milk it out with a small knitting needle. Don't forget to taper and lock stitch. Don't remove so much that the de-cored portion is in the jammer when furled; you can always remove a little more.
Old 21-05-2018, 22:11   #15

Boat: Spacesailer

I have a Profurl c260 and the manual says 3 times LOA plus 2 metres. This includes the rope going up and down the furler.
MartinAdelaide is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furling, men