I recently installed two bronze pad eyes to attach my boats running backstay's to. I used butyl rubber to seal the assembly to the deck
, holes were counter sunk and enough fresh butyl was wrapped around the bolts that when the padeye’s were tightened down plenty of material squeezed out from under the base. After assembly I thoroughly sprayed the fittings to check the work for leaks
and there was no indication of any water
coming in under the deck
, good to go right, wrong. We had rain the other day in New York
while I was at the boat so I decided to inspect the water
tight integrity of the installation
again and low and behold both padeye’s were leaking.
I have to say that after reading Mainsail’s postings on the methodology of countersinking the bolt holes and using butyl to seal hardware
it was like an ah hah moment for me and really believed in the idea of this procedure. I have removed one of the fittings and reinstalled and it is still leaking and as the location of the bolts are a real pain to get to it would be great to figure out what is causing the problem.