Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2012, 16:59   #1

preserving teak

we have taken our deck hand rails off last week to refinish them. they are teak, but must have been painted with something years ago. we have been owning the boat since july and these things are a real eyesore. so here is my question. my husband wants to use polyurethane ... i am leaning towards teak oil. My dad has a boat and did the whole polyurathene thing on his boat years ago and i have terrible childhood memories that include sanding, sanding and sanding.
so what's best to bring out the beauty in teak, yet protect against the elements.
Hille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 17:08   #2

Boat: Tartan 30
Re: preserving teak

Protection against the elements isn't the issue. Teak does just fine as bare wood... the question is the in the look of the finish you're after. If you want that 'yachty' look, go with varinish/poly. If you just want to bring out the natural teak color and keep it looking fresh, go with oil.

Oil is much cheaper, and easiest to apply. Two or 3 coats will get you through the year. just my opinion, but i'd go with oil. Or repaint it and forget about it
Old 08-01-2012, 17:18   #3

Boat: csy 37

clean the teak. then apply two coats of starbrite tropical teak oil. not teak oil. tropical teak oil. it is teak oil with uv inhibitors in it. been using this for seven years now. the first time i did two coats and it started looking thin after about three years. then i lightly sanded and applied one coat. been three years now and it was time last year to apply another coat. will do it this year. don't know why every other lazy sailor on earth doesn't use this stuff, although it is pretty popular in south florida where the sun is teaks' biggest enemy.

you can find it as west marine or on the internet.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 17:27   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

My days of fussing with exterior teak are over. I no longer feel the need to impress anyone, my time is more important. I painted my exterior teak white and have not looked back. Either that or you could leave it bare.

Were I a naval architect I would never design a boat with exterior teak.

The downside to teak oil is how often it needs to be applied to keep it looking decent. There is no magic bullet. There is only stuff you either brush on or wipe on which is less or more worse than the other stuff you wipe or brush on.

Inside and out of the weather, sure, teak is beautiful and needs very little maintenance.

Being real cynical here, teak seems to be put on boats to keep the unwary at the dock and off the water.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote