Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 25-07-2010, 08:07   #1

Boat: Lagoon 410
'Practical Sailor' - Best Ablative Bottom Paint ?

Can anybody tell me what PS's top ablative paint was for tropical water? We are on a 2 year cruise and I didn't have room to bring my PS's with me... something I've been squawking to them about for a while is to give subscribing members better access to the database online.

Old 25-07-2010, 14:57   #2

Boat: Tartan 37 "Velera"
Not sure why you would want an ablative paint in tropical waters unless you are unable to free dive your boat. I used Trinidad SR (hard non ablative) when I was in the tropics for a few years with excellent results--it is scrubbable and does a great job. I use top rated Mar-Pro 67% copper ablative here in Maine where it is too cold to free dive and it is awesome (all the rest of PS recommendations have been ca-ca here). You need to adjust to the conditions where you are. In tropic I would use a hard epoxy paint. And that would be Trinidad SR. Ablatives are for where you cannot dive your boat.

Castine, Maine
Pete the Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2010, 15:24   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore" Ben393 "Breathless"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete the Cat View Post
In tropic I would use a hard epoxy paint. And that would be Trinidad SR. Ablatives are for where you cannot dive your boat.

If you use a good ablative there is no need to dive your boat.
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2010, 15:59   #4

Boat: Bristol 38.8
When I next do my bottom it will be with Coppercoat. The Interlux ablative I use now is too soft and has to be redone every 2 years. PITA.
Old 25-07-2010, 16:26   #5

Boat: Lagoon 410
The previous owners used Seahawk Island 44 over 6 years in the Caribe. I am assuming they were happy with it - my 8 months of experience with it is so far good. Unfortunately this is one bottom paint not available in the US. What kind of prep work would I be looking at to go from ablative to hard?
Old 25-07-2010, 17:51   #6

Boat: Tartan 37 "Velera"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
If you use a good ablative there is no need to dive your boat.
Maybe that is correct. I have used three different ablatives here in Maine and none of them have worked as well as good old Trinidad SR, but I am still experimenting. I am now using Mar Pro 67% ablative and it does seem to be working much better than the others 6 weeks into the season. I had the Trinidad doing a very good job for 2.5 years in the tropics. Only dove it to remove slime, not barnacles. Seems to me the paints are quite variable in their effectiveness depending on where you use them and how you use them and I am beginning to think there is variability in them can to can in the manufacturing process. I just did not see the same results as PS did with some of the top rated paints.
Castine, Maine
Pete the Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2015, 15:43   #7

Re: 'Practical Sailor' - Best Ablative Bottom Paint ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete the Cat View Post
Not sure why you would want an ablative paint in tropical waters unless you are unable to free dive your boat. I used Trinidad SR (hard non ablative) when I was in the tropics for a few years with excellent results--it is scrubbable and does a great job. I use top rated Mar-Pro 67% copper ablative here in Maine where it is too cold to free dive and it is awesome (all the rest of PS recommendations have been ca-ca here). You need to adjust to the conditions where you are. In tropic I would use a hard epoxy paint. And that would be Trinidad SR. Ablatives are for where you cannot dive your boat.

That's totally incorrect about ablatives, it's a preference decision based on whether or not you want to continue using hard bottom paint and eventually have to strip your bottom
Old 23-03-2015, 16:16   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

PS recommends Trinidad in their most recent check. Best bottom paint I ever had was Sherwin Williams, but once I got it, I haven't been able to find it again. I have Trinidad on now.
Old 23-03-2015, 16:24   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtwain69 View Post
That's totally incorrect about ablatives, it's a preference decision based on whether or not you want to continue using hard bottom paint and eventually have to strip your bottom
Just had the bottom stripped after 28 years of hard paint use. So the next time will be in 2043. I'm finding it hard to worry about, right now.
Old 23-03-2015, 16:25   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
PS recommends Trinidad in their most recent check. Best bottom paint I ever had was Sherwin Williams, but once I got it, I haven't been able to find it again. I have Trinidad on now.
Sherwin Williams have a range of commercial bottom paints on their website. Maybe they could also direct you to a retailer?
Old 23-03-2015, 16:31   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
Not that hard to find. Tried Google?

Copper Bottom Anti-Fouling Paint #45 - Protective & Marine

It's 45% cuprous oxide, while Trinidad SR is 65%, so its hard to imagine it out-performing the Trinidad.
Old 23-03-2015, 16:43   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hold on- I know they have a paint now, but the paint I had 8 coats put on of in 2009 was different. Lasted till 2013 and still was working just fine till I powerwashed it off . Went to the store and tried to get the same paint. They told me they didn't make it anymore.
Old 23-03-2015, 20:40   #13

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

We used Seahawk 44 with the booster when we were in the Crib and it worked great. But you did not say where you were so had to say if you can get it.
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2015, 20:54   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Right you are Chuck. I am in Oregon/Washington. They have eliminated Cu in Washington, but I thought I could get it in Oregon. No such luck.
Old 23-03-2015, 20:56   #15

Boat: 39' Westerly Sealord

I reckon Hempel Olympic is the duck's guts... bin using it for years....
'Recommended Use: As an economical antifouling for bottom and boottop on vessels operating at low to medium speeds and (down to) low to medium activity.'

When she came out last August it was only the third time she had been hauled since she left NZ in 2004... worked well for between 2 to 5 years at a stretch. Mind you I do just pressure wash and then lard it on top of the previous lot... so end up with a big paint thickness.

That said....the previous time I had antifouled I was down to my last 5 litres of Olympic and couldn't source any more at a reasonable price so used Sherwin Williams ( dunno which particular one but it was 'ablative').... ended up with one side SW , and Hempels on the other... couldn't tell which was which when she came out after 8000 miles.. neither side had any fouling.

El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bottom paint

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: