Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2015, 09:07   #1

Boat: Morgan 461
PPG Amercoat ABC3 antifouling application

Hi all,

I'm able to get a good deal on some Amercoat ABC3 antifouling but I'm having trouble interpreting the available information. Maybe someone can help me?

My boat is fiberglass and has a barrier coat (I'm pretty sure it's Interlux, which is an epoxy, right?). On top of the barrier coat, I have Pettit Ultima SR60.

This document says:

"If applying antifouling coating over epoxy or coal-tar epoxy anticorrosive
coatings, apply the first coat of antifouling while the anticorrosive (epoxy or coaltar epoxy) is tack free but still soft to finger pressure. If the epoxy or coal-tar epoxy has cured too hard, apply another thin coat of epoxy or coal-tar epoxy within the recommended recoat intervals, and then apply the antifouling coating. Failure to apply the antifouling coating while the anticorrosive is still soft to finger pressure may result in poor adhesion between coatings and the eventual delamination of antifouling from the anticorrosive"

From that text, I conclude that I should strip the SR60 completely and apply a new coat of barriercoat, so that I can then apply the ABC3 antifouling while the epoxy is still soft. At the risk of having already answered my own question, I need to ask: am I arriving at the right conclusion?

The text talks about "epoxy or coal-tar epoxy." That's exactly what Interlux barrier coat is, right?

Thanks!
enovillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2015, 10:48   #2
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Re: PPG Amercoat ABC3 antifouling application

This can't be right. If it is, every time you haul the boat to repaint, you will have to strip the old paint and put on more barrier coat. That doesn't make sense.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2015, 11:59   #3

fstbttms, what you say makes sense. Maybe the real question I should ask is whether it's ok to apply ABC3 directly over what's left of the SR60 I currently have. I don't know what the answer to that is
Old 27-04-2015, 12:32   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

I used ABC3 on my small boat last year and did not have good adhesion. Perhaps for the reason you stated.

But I'm having other, bigger issues to deal with in the meantime.

My guess is that you need to get the first coat, epoxy to antifouling, then after that there will be some residual antifouling that the new layer can adhere to.

Give PPG a call, they should be able to answer the question or refer you to a factory rep. I've done that.

PM me if you want my local reps phone number.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2015, 00:07   #5

Boat: Långedrag steel, 1988, 40ft

I understand it such that you need the first layer of antifouling applied to your epoxy barrier while it's soft, but the following layers of antifouling can be applied over the previous layers of antifouling, and I would think also for the following seasons. What you could do is, instead of removing the old barrier, to apply one layer of new barrier to get the recommended softness-state before you apply your first layer of antifouling.
phipseml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2015, 08:34   #6

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46

My experience is that anytime you put different antifouling over an existing coat there is a risk of failure.

I called PPG technical support to ask about putting their ABC4 over their ABC3, "no problem" was the answer, but it came off in big flakes anyway.

I think you could sand away most of the existing anti-fouling with 80 grit, and not need to apply more epoxy. The reason for hot coating to the epoxy is to get a bond, but sanding cured epoxy will also let the paint bond. So, if you are sanding off the old anti-fouling, probably don't need to add epoxy.
If you do decide to add epoxy you need to get rid of all the old antifouling before applying the epoxy or you may cause more problems.

But that's only my opinion, worth what you paid for it.

Good Luck,
JM.
NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2015, 09:16   #7

Boat: Newport 41

As per usual, following the recommended instruction will have the best results, helped a fellow cruiser apply his 1 coat of Interlux and then his antifouling paint the next day... if you do only half a job you usually get a half assed result
Rumlater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 14:49   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Got a new Ameron rep and he just came by the boat. I asked him about ABC3 as mine is not adhering well. He said....to get good results...

You want to apply the first ever coat over fresh epoxy. Not wet, not tacky, but soft, so that you can still ouch your finger into it. Then it chemically bonds and after that you just need to recoat.

Otherwise the base coast must be roughed up to feel like 80 grit paper, or thereabouts.

I had let my epoxy coat sit for a long time before over coating with ABC3, hence my problem.
Old 01-05-2015, 11:06   #9

Thanks, everyone. I found out that ABC3 is compatible with SR60, so I'll apply it directly on top of it, after a quick sand.

I got it for us$166/gallon. Not bad.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:50   #10

Boat: jeanneau 39i

I used ABC3 on my Sun Odyssey 45 I few years ago in St martin. It lasted 3 years and still going when I sold the boat. Can you tell us where you are getting a good deal on the paint. I have to repaint the bottom of my Sun Odyssey 39i next year.
jmtindle3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 15:41   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Not positive which $ you are quoting.

U.S., CA, AUS.?

I just paid $129US in Philadelphia.
Old 01-05-2015, 18:04   #12
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Just bought some ABC for $88/gallon from Virginia I believe. I will try to find my shipping order.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 04:44   #13

I bought the paint in St-Martin, at the paint shop that's on the canal going into the lagoon from the French side.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:28   #14

Boat: S&S 52 Design#2126

enovillo you are correct. If you make this prep then put one thin coat of barrier coat and then two or three coats of ABC3, next hull out-just get the bottom pressure wash and wet sand-then two coats, and so on-work without any problems-key is the prep like with many other things on the boat
Capt.Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 16:08   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmtindle3 View Post
I used ABC3 on my Sun Odyssey 45 I few years ago in St martin. It lasted 3 years and still going when I sold the boat. Can you tell us where you are getting a good deal on the paint. I have to repaint the bottom of my Sun Odyssey 39i next year.
Hey there bud . I Have the ABC 3 antifouling paint in red . It's from the Navy base. Selling for 75$ a gallon. Let me know if you or anyone needs any.
Exnavy is offline   Reply With Quote