Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2007, 19:54   #1

Boat: Stevens 47
"powdering" Gelcoat

I am looking at a boat (in California) that the broker has told me the gelcoat is "powdering" which I believe means it is old (UV damage?) and needs to be sanded back and repainted.
Couple of questions....Does the gelcoat have to be stripped back to the glass or is sanding it back to solid gelcoat enough? Is it worth considering taking it back to glass and applying a barrier coat if sanding it back needs to be done anyway?
Also how much could I expect to pay per foot for this process if I were to get it done professionally in Sthrn California?
Old 29-05-2007, 20:53   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Depending on how thin and damaged the gelcoat may be determines what can be done. If it's just white & oxidized it can be polished back fairly EZ. If it has cracks and scratches it can be sanded and painted or a re-gelcoat. It doesn't have to be stripped back to bare glass.

It all comes down to the condition of the boat and how much one wants to invest.

As for the cost of a re-gelcoat, it's not cheap but not too much more then a professional paint job. Don't know the prices in Cal.

I'm assuming this is the topside. Barrier coats are for the bottom side........_/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2007, 02:23   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Oxidized gelcoat will appear porous and chalky (“powdery”).
Minor chalking can be repaired with any number of commercially available Firbreglass/Gelcoat “Restorer” products.
More serious oxidation will require surface abrasion (wetsanding /w 800 then 600 grit), and re-painting (“Awlgrip”, etc).

A re-painting job might run between $200 - to as much as $500 per foot (loa)

BOB'S HOT BOATING TIPS < Bob's Hot Boating Tips > has a short, but informative, tutorial on “Maintaining The Quality Appearance Of Your Boat”
Hot Tip Cleaners

Prior to applying any commercial “Restorer” product - remember that Pre-Cleaning is critical: any contaminants left on the surface will be sealed in after re-coating.

Google terms:
Gelcoat oxidation
Gelcoat restoration

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 20:54   #4

Quote:
I am looking at a boat (in California) that the broker has told me the gelcoat is "powdering" which I believe means it is old (UV damage?) and needs to be sanded back and repainted.
I'd spend a long time on the phone with the surveyor asking him what condition everything else on the boat is in. A scruffy exterior can often indicate the same level of maintenance (none) inside...
Sailormann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 21:37   #5

Boat: Stevens 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormann
I'd spend a long time on the phone with the surveyor asking him what condition everything else on the boat is in. A scruffy exterior can often indicate the same level of maintenance (none) inside...
Yes GREAT advice and I have already made that leap of thought...looking at something else presently....
Old 05-06-2007, 15:36   #6
cruiser

Slap a coat of paint on it and go cruising. Enamel is $20 a gallon, one should do it.It's non structural anyway.
Brent
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gelcoat