Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2014, 21:23   #1

Boat: N/A At least not yet
Possible to Retrofit Drop Keel?

So I'm interesed in owning a trailer sailer but looking at a 28 footer aloha, I haven't been able to find any with a drop/swing keel. Is it possible to convert a boat (economically) to have one? I'm looking at older models in 10-15 thousand dollar range. The reason I want to be able to load it on a trailer is because I have access to numerous lakes, and I do work full time so only two night trips max for me. If you have any advice, ESPECIALLY if you've attempted it please drop your 2 cents, thanks in advance, cheers.

Sent from my C6906 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
DuaneGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 21:46   #2

Re: Possible to retrofit drop keel?

Sure. Here is the conversion procedure :

Sell boat with keel
Use money to buy boat with swing keel

Seriously though, the answer is a resounding no. A swing keel boat when done properly, is made from a different mould, with space for extra ballast below the hull. Look up bristol 31.1 centerboard. That truncated keel has to incorporate more ballast than the full keel version. Not saying that it can't be done, just that no sane person should attempt it.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 21:57   #3

Haha, well that sucks, but thank you for your detailed response. Guess I'd better keep looking. I see what you mean with the bristol. Good news is I haven't actually bought a boat yet, so I can safely omit step one!

Old 11-09-2014, 10:44   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

1st, you don't want a swing keel unless you'll only sail in protected waters.

Either go for a keel center board, drop keel like a Hobie 33, or a shallow draft boat that you can load on a trailer. The cost of modifying a boat into either a drop keel or keel centerboard would be excessive and quite probably not a good boat when you got done. The only way I'd attempt it is with a bolt on keel that could be recast to have a slot for a center board. Would definitely want a Naval Architect to do the design and the cost would easily run into 10s of boat units.

If you want a go anywhere trailerable boat, would look at a Tartan 27. You'd probably have to have a trailer made it for as have never seen one advertised as a trailer sailor and would need a real truck to tow it. The Compact line of boats are trailerable though probably not as large as you are looking at. Here's some listings of other centerboard boats on YachtWorld: http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?CLASS_ID=1420

From reports on this site, the allure of trailor sailing seems to lose it's appeal quickly because of the hassles of raising and lowering the mast and the hassles of launching the boat. Takes more time to get the boat in and out of the water than actually sailing.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 18:14   #5

Thanks roverhi, If I would be looking at such a large amount of money with unpredictable results I'd have to scrap that idea. I would only be looking to spend approximately 15,000 on a boat so an additional 10 for a keel would be out of the question. I have however decided to budget for a carbon fiber mast to make it easier to raise and lower mast, but the idea of finding a suitable trailer sailer for the kind of setup is looking grim. I've not yet seen a tartan 27 or hobby in my search yet likely as they're out of my budget.

Old 11-09-2014, 18:24   #6

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Carbon, in my experience with beach cats, does not always a lighter mast make.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 18:27   #7

Actually I have now seen a hobby 33, at 20,000$ including a trailer that may just fit the bill. Thanks again, I was previously only looking at 28-30 thinking anything longer would be less likely to be trailerable.

Old 11-09-2014, 18:31   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Carbon, in my experience with beach cats, does not always a lighter mast make.

Mmhmm sense this monkey makes?? the sailing force is not strong with me, how is it possible to be heavier?

Old 11-09-2014, 18:39   #9

Question is : do you need the swing keel to make the boat more easily trailerable, or because you are sailing in shallow waters? People do trailer boats with fixed keels, you just need a special trailer and plenty of water to launch in.

Also why have you fixed your sights on an Aloha 28 in particular? I can't find any reference to a swing keep version, which is probably why you can't find one.

If you gave us more idea of your needs people might be able to suggest a boat.

A 28 is right at the upper limit of what is trailerable.

If you set your sights on a smaller boat, you would find a vast range of choices open up.

I suggest reading Small Craft Advisor for some examples of the myriad of nice, trailerable, seaworthy keelboats in the 14 to 25 ft range.

At the boat ramp near here in Redwood City, I've seen everything from West Wight Potters with a custom gaff rig, a home-built wooden cat boat, Catalina 22 and 25, and so on.
Old 11-09-2014, 18:49   #10

get a wing keel boat. there are some nice wing keels with 3 and a half foot drafts like a catalina 25, catalina 27, catalina 270, catalina 28, pearson 28-2, ect.... I think you could find a nice 28 foot boat that will suit your needs and also be able to be stored on a trailer as long as you have the truck to tow a 8,000 lb. boat
sdpinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 18:51   #11

A Hobie 33 is a 4000lb racing sled which is totally unsuitable to solo, overnight lake sailing.

It couldn't be more different from an Aloha 28.

Are you really looking for a boat or just a troll? I'm beginning to have my doubts.
Old 11-09-2014, 18:52   #12

Hey Mark, yeah I guess I'm sort of here and there with what I'm looking for, the aloha I particularly like the interior. I guess I got short sighted when I saw it and the fact it is/was Canadian made. But what I'm looking for is a type of man cave on the water. I want it to be operational single handed, inboard motor, I'm not too fussy on much but I'd like it to sleep at least 4 and more than anything a well laid out comfortable saloon for entertaining, drinking and cards at dock. I'm 30 years old and obviously not looking for a speedboat so not expecting to get anywhere quick just want to enjoy the ride. And am expecting to be buying something quite a few years old as even 20,000$ cdn for a nice hobie 33 is at the very top of my budget and wouldnt allow any extra for upgrading.

Old 11-09-2014, 18:58   #13

Mark no I'm far from a troll, I've honestly been looking for the past year, but having difficulty as I like the stability and comfort of a larger boat, but like the ability to transport a smaller one.

Old 11-09-2014, 19:08   #14

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuaneGraham View Post
Mmhmm sense this monkey makes?? the sailing force is not strong with me, how is it possible to be heavier?

Carbon masts (always with exceptions) tend to be of a heavier layup than is needed to make them strong enough to take abuse. My example is an Inter17 cat with a 31' carbon mast vs a Nacra f16 with a 30' alum stick. Very similar cross sections, the alum stuck is lighter by roughly 5 pounds.

Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 19:17   #15

Well no matter the hobie 33 I found was gutted to lighten it for racing. Hard to imagine carbon being almost as heavy.

Tags
keel