Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2012, 18:30   #1

Portlight seals

We have a 1975 Pearson that has rubber seals between the glass and the aluminum frame of the non-opening ports, and it is deteriorating. Does anyone have experience replacing them? If so, what with?
Starlight35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 01:02   #2
KDH

Boat: Wauquiez Centurian 42'
Re: Portlight seals

Is it an actual gasket or is it just butyl rubber put down between the fixed light and the frame? We installed opening ports where we had fixed ports it was more like caulk. Different acrylics require different sealants. Butyl rubber is most often grey but some port light replacements come with a thick black rope type rubber to use as a sealant (I don't recommend it as it was very hard to use). Try this thread, http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...hts-90232.html and this thread as well which has a really useful link to Compass Marine http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ape-86979.html
KDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 18:26   #3

Thanks KDH. Our ports (both fixed and opening) are glass, and have a rubber seal around them, so I think I'll follow the advice in one of the threads you sent the link to-using butyl between the frame and fiberglass, and Dow Corning 795 between the glass and frame.
Starlight35 is offline   Reply With Quote