Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2018, 16:40   #1

Boat: 1967 Pearson 35
Porthole storm covers

Suggestions for storm covers on large opening portholes?
I know most people attach Lexan covers with usually some sort of screw-in fastner arrangmenet but that doesn't seem very practical since

1- you have to go outside around the cabin sides to do that, which is dangerous, and

2- Then you have to struggle with fiddly bits to attach the storm cover (in a storm)

Seems to me there must be a better way to just slide on the covers (maybe U channel?) from inside.

Suggestion?

(I keep a piece of plywood with a backing, for if the porthole breaks but i'd rather avoid that if possible)
Cyrus Safdari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 16:46   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Porthole storm covers

In my view, the need for the storm covers for large portlights and deadlights is when you are on the open ocean during a passage, when you are more likely to be caught in weather you cannot avoid and when the sea conditions are more likely to be more dangerous (higher seas, extended time, etc.).

So, I would affix them to the exterior PRIOR to the voyage, leaving them on for the duration of the voyage. Remove them when you are back in "local cruising mode" and harbor hopping or marina living, storing them ashore if possible.

On a cruising boat (on passage) I would not want to have to fiddle with those things, when there are so many other things to handle at that time when you think you are going to be in heavy weather or a storm.

For example, if you are crossing the Atlantic, put them on, and they stay on for the crossing. When you arrive at the final destination, take them off and put them in storage, if you want (as some may be clear, some may be opaque).

I hope this opinion helps you or others.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 16:47   #3

Boat: 1967 Pearson 35

Yes keeping them on semi-permanently is also an option, along with jacklines...
Cyrus Safdari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 17:29   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus Safdari View Post
Suggestions for storm covers on large opening portholes?
Avoid putting yourself in a situation where you require storm covers in the first place.

To quote MarkJ "Make the right passage in the right season"

Then you will be able to focus on important things you need instead of worrying about things you shouldn't.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote