Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2007, 12:55   #1

Boat: 26' Clipper Marine
Send a message via AIM to Drexel Engineer
Pop Top Bowing in

Hello Sailing Experts,

On my CM26 the pop-top is bowed inward. I'd like the opposite of this. The pop top is fiberglass with varnished wood planks on the cabin side. How can make this convex instead of concave, to the sky? I was thinking of poping it in the other direction, removing all those wood planks, and resin in place a "X" to keep her convex. Is there a better way? I really hope so becuase my way will take a bit of time.

Thank you for the help.

Shawn
Drexel Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 13:20   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Shawn,
I used to have a pop top on a Catalina many years ago. I didn't have that problem but my suggestion is to take it off, pop it the other way (convex) and reinforce your wood planks (beams) by adding about a half inch thickness to each of them. I hope these planks as you describe are running athwartships? You can cut strips of wood any species you want that is thin enough to bend in the direction you desire. Once you have about enough strips to add that half inch, then mix up some epoxy and microfibers and glue them in place using copper or bronze nails or stainless staples and weights to keep them stable until the epoxy goes off. You can do all that while your pop top is upside down on your lawn or at the dock.
A word of caution - tape off everything that you don't want smeared with epoxy!!
The other option is to add more athwartships beams.
The reason for the problem is that you don't have the cabin sides helping to hold the pop top in the proper shape when crew weight is placed there.
Another suggestion would be take it off, pop it the right direction, but it back on and epoxy and glass it in permanently. If you like the pop top feature then that option is out.
I added a tie down feature on my pop top because I took the boat to sea and didn't want it popping open at the wrong time, if you catch my drift?
Hope this helps a little.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote