Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2018, 15:11   #1

Boat: Eastward ho 24, Downeaster 32, scarab sprint 18
Plexus ma530 or epoxy to bond corecell to corecell

I've removed the 13x30 something 1/2 " plexi or lexan windows in the cabin of my downeaster 32. I've got some bronze 8x22 openers to replace them. The windows were recessed into a flange in which they sat. they were flush to the outside with 1/2" left on the inside...so I've got some 1/2 corecell which I cut to fit into the half inch inside hole which would make me flush to the inside and now I'll glass that over and I'll have the 1/2" to make up on the outside. I have west system epoxy and 1708 biaxail with the veil mat for the outer most finishing layer. So instead of laying up the half inch of solid glass I'm gonna bond a 1/4" corecell to the 1/2" corecell I already have.in the hole thus leaving me 1/4 to fill with laminate. To my understanding I can estimate a layer of 1708 wetted out with epoxy will give me about a 1/16? So 3or4 layers of 1708 on the outside and I'll put 3 on the inside. Sounds good? I was originally gonna glass the whole 1/2 but seems like way to much unnessary and expensive? Any thoughts?

Now I'm couldn't find much on bonding corecell to itself other then vacumm bag it. I don't have a vacuum or the supplies needed for that so I was thinking a few other things;
I'll have it out on a flat surface and I'll be putting weight on it which ever way I choose.
Just paint some epoxy on both sides and glue them?
Thicken the epoxy a little? Add a layer of csm or 1708between the two? Or I came across some mention of plexus ma530 to glue them together? What you guys think?

could my shop vac and a heavy trash bag work as a vacuum?
Once again thanks to all
Eastward ho 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2018, 05:48   #2

Boat: 16' Canoe {Northern 25 previously}
Re: Plexus ma530 or epoxy to bond corecell to corecell

To answer the last part about bonding CoreCell to itself ,no need to Vacuum bag .
Main thing I was told when starting our foam Catamaran build a decade ago (sighhh) is that you get the epoxy mix into the pores of the foam not just a light coating on the surface (by Rick at Noahsmarine.com) . Squeegee on some neat epoxy into the pores of both sides ,I wait until it is sticky and add thickened epoxy ,put them together ,add screws to hold them tight or plastic with weights on etc is fine for a small job like this IMO.

You can Vacuum with a ShopVac ,use window sealant tape or similar & plastic , need some holes in tube used to prevent ShopVac burning up from no air return .
Jimmathieson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
core, epoxy