Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2018, 01:53   #1
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe
 
Wotname's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: South of 43 S, Australia
Boat: C.L.O.D.
Posts: 8,619
Plastic Polishing/Cleaning Tips Wanted...

Can you please share your plastic cleaning and polishing methods?

I have the metal aspects of my fuel tank refurbishments sorted but I am unsure of the best practice for getting the 40 year old plastic fuel cap looking good.

Out of interest, the tank was stripped, sprayed with a high build 2 pack primer and then three coats of 2 pack poly topcoat. The inside was painted with Red-Kote tank liner.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3285.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	411.5 KB
ID:	170464   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2901.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	411.2 KB
ID:	170465  

__________________

__________________
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 11:35   #2
Moderator
 
a64pilot's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Albany Ga.
Boat: Island Packet 38
Posts: 21,971
Re: Plastic Polishing/Cleaning Tips Wanted...

I donít think you can rejuvenate that old cap.
But you may want to look up aircraft windshield polishing, it may give you some ideas.
Itís essentially the same as polishing a hull, or paint.
__________________

a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 12:19   #3
Senior Cruiser
 
Sailmonkey's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Houston
Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'
Posts: 6,518
Re: Plastic Polishing/Cleaning Tips Wanted...

I would just clean the cap and paint it black. Just me though.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 15:44   #4
Moderator
 
JPA Cate's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: aboard, cruising in Australia
Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Posts: 13,981
Re: Plastic Polishing/Cleaning Tips Wanted...

Hi, Wottie,

Err, uh, how come you didn't match the paint color to that of the cap?

Ah, well, I agree with A64 that the color of the cap cannot be much improved, but, jewelers rouge can put a fine polish on it. Then it will be shiny, and stained. Or, you can use Meguiar's cleaner on it, followed by Meguiar's polish. Then, it will be shiny and stained. Sorry.

Cosmetically, possibly the best solution, imho, would be to repaint the tank itself, in a color to match, as I'm not sure you can get paint to stick to the cap. You could try painting the cap, and then, if it tries to come off, remove the remaining paint with citrus
stripper.

Ann
__________________
Who scorns the calm has forgotten the storm.
JPA Cate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 15:58   #5
Moderator
 
a64pilot's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Albany Ga.
Boat: Island Packet 38
Posts: 21,971
Re: Plastic Polishing/Cleaning Tips Wanted...

Sometimes you can buy a new cap.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 16:19   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Lago de Izabal, Guatemala
Boat: Seafarer36c
Posts: 4,851
Re: Plastic Polishing/Cleaning Tips Wanted...

Why the hell didn't you paint the cap with the same stuff?
Ecos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 16:53   #7
Registered User

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sydney Australia
Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'
Posts: 995
Re: Plastic Polishing/Cleaning Tips Wanted...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Can you please share your plastic cleaning and polishing methods?

I have the metal aspects of my fuel tank refurbishments sorted but I am unsure of the best practice for getting the 40 year old plastic fuel cap looking good.

Out of interest, the tank was stripped, sprayed with a high build 2 pack primer and then three coats of 2 pack poly topcoat. The inside was painted with Red-Kote tank liner.
Go on, leave it as it is, clearly indicating a renovation not a restoration.
__________________
Rob aka Uncle Bob Sydney Australia.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 17:41   #8
Moderator
 
a64pilot's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Albany Ga.
Boat: Island Packet 38
Posts: 21,971
Re: Plastic Polishing/Cleaning Tips Wanted...

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Sometimes you can buy a new cap.


Let me explain that, I wasnít trying to be smart, but sometimes new old stock parts are available.
Iím surprised how many parts I can still buy for my 1946 airplane, and itís weird parts. The most commonly used parts were sold out decades ago.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 18:18   #9
er9
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2014
Boat: 1980 Mariner36
Posts: 393
Re: Plastic Polishing/Cleaning Tips Wanted...

it would be a lot of work to restore the cap color. you would probably have to sand the cap surface down about a half millimeter or so to get past the weathered, decomposing surface and then polish it with a medium grit rouge on a muslin buffing wheel. it would be a two to three hour job and about $30 or so in supplies. and it wouldnt be perfect because the surface texture of the cap would prevent you from getting a 100% polish.
er9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 19:11   #10
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe
 
Wotname's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: South of 43 S, Australia
Boat: C.L.O.D.
Posts: 8,619
Re: Plastic Polishing/Cleaning Tips Wanted...

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Let me explain that, I wasnít trying to be smart, but sometimes new old stock parts are available.
Iím surprised how many parts I can still buy for my 1946 airplane, and itís weird parts. The most commonly used parts were sold out decades ago.
Fair point, I will look into this as a possible option - although it goes against the grain buying new if old can be made reasonably good again .
__________________
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 19:21   #11
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe
 
Wotname's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: South of 43 S, Australia
Boat: C.L.O.D.
Posts: 8,619
Re: Plastic Polishing/Cleaning Tips Wanted...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Hi, Wottie,

Err, uh, how come you didn't match the paint color to that of the cap?

Ah, well, I agree with A64 that the color of the cap cannot be much improved, but, jewelers rouge can put a fine polish on it. Then it will be shiny, and stained. Or, you can use Meguiar's cleaner on it, followed by Meguiar's polish. Then, it will be shiny and stained. Sorry.

Cosmetically, possibly the best solution, imho, would be to repaint the tank itself, in a color to match, as I'm not sure you can get paint to stick to the cap. You could try painting the cap, and then, if it tries to come off, remove the remaining paint with citrus
stripper.

Ann
Already had the paint leftover from another project (tractor repaint). I don't think the original Yanmar paint and cap was all that close anyway - although closer than mine .

Main reason for the thread is so I don't waste a shipload time trying things that don't work or cause further damage. I have found that someone on CF usually has the answer...

Painting the cap is not really an option as far as I can tell. I have yet to see any paint job successfully stick to an old plastic diesel and grime embedded object that has to be handled regularly. Although Ecos may know how to do it successfully.

I am not concerned about getting a close colour match, I just would like the cap to look cleaner etc.
__________________
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 19:23   #12
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe
 
Wotname's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: South of 43 S, Australia
Boat: C.L.O.D.
Posts: 8,619
Re: Plastic Polishing/Cleaning Tips Wanted...

Quote:
Originally Posted by er9 View Post
it would be a lot of work to restore the cap color. you would probably have to sand the cap surface down about a half millimeter or so to get past the weathered, decomposing surface and then polish it with a medium grit rouge on a muslin buffing wheel. it would be a two to three hour job and about $30 or so in supplies. and it wouldnt be perfect because the surface texture of the cap would prevent you from getting a 100% polish.
Thanks, I will further into this method. I not trying to achieve perfection, just improvement.
__________________
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 19:24   #13
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe
 
Wotname's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: South of 43 S, Australia
Boat: C.L.O.D.
Posts: 8,619
Re: Plastic Polishing/Cleaning Tips Wanted...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Go on, leave it as it is, clearly indicating a renovation not a restoration.
Well patina is important
__________________
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 19:28   #14
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe
 
Wotname's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: South of 43 S, Australia
Boat: C.L.O.D.
Posts: 8,619
Re: Plastic Polishing/Cleaning Tips Wanted...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecos View Post
Why the hell didn't you paint the cap with the same stuff?
Help me out here, what is your method of getting a 2 pack paint to successfully adhere to a somewhat flexible well used dirty (diesel etc) old piece of plastic and be tough enough to cope with daily handling and the bumps and knocks of general use?
__________________
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 19:29   #15
Moderator
 
a64pilot's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Albany Ga.
Boat: Island Packet 38
Posts: 21,971
Re: Plastic Polishing/Cleaning Tips Wanted...

What is this thing anyway? Stationary engine?
__________________

a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cleaning, wanted

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fuel Polishing/Cleaning Cost Puget Sound HBWT Engines and Propulsion Systems 32 11-09-2018 07:54
Fuel Polishing/Tank Cleaning dennismenace111 Construction, Maintenance & Refit 13 15-09-2014 21:24
Cleaning / Polishing Diesel Fuel gbendaly Engines and Propulsion Systems 5 28-10-2009 17:33
Fuel Polishing / Cleaning Pblais Engines and Propulsion Systems 10 13-09-2009 00:46



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 13:05.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.