Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 06-04-2016, 11:38   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Plasma sprayed plastic bottom?

The ash tray is full, time to get a new car.

You know, why worry about cleaning the bottom when you can buy a clean new boat?

The piston coat sounds pretty much like generic Teflon material. It all (all) is "goop" that gets baked to set it, same same as it was applied to your frying pan or anything else. The trick is, not many vendors will just sell you a single pint (or gallon) they'd rather offer you their "application services" and charge for the entire job.

On a prop, I'm told that normal cavitation will pick it off the ends of blades and then start it decaying back from there. But if that piston stuff isn't priced like might be worth trying anyway.

hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 11:56   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Cavitation will eat even a stainless steel prop, I doubt we see much if any cavitation on a sailboat prop, although as one guy said, if you throw her into full reverse with good forward speed, OK then I see cavitation.

Been since 1981 since I did the piston Kote, but it came in small pint cans I think and couldn't have cost all that much or we wouldn't have tried it. Whether it worked or not was impossible to quantify.
We bead blasted the pistons to get them perfectly clean and to prep them before application.

a64pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 20:02   #18

Boat: Morgan 382 - 38' 4"

I like the idea of a plastic bottom coat. However, I would think an epoxy barrier coat is nearly the same concept.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
TFrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 09:21   #19
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Practical Sailor panned the stuff:

Tefcite Coating Fails Static Panel Test at 1 Year

Our quest for new antifouling paints recently took us into the world of long-life spray-on coatings promoted in the commercial-shipping industry. While the spray-on, thermoplastic composite powder Tefcite may work well on a ship that’s moving at 13 knots for most of its working life, it failed surprisingly fast in our static panel tests.

Tefcite Coating Fails Static Panel Test at 1 Year - Practical Sailor Print Edition Article

fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: