Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2009, 13:41   #1

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
? Picking a Nicro solar vent ?

I am reading that these are the same thing.
What am I missing?
Day And Night Low Profile Solar Vents
Day And Night Low Profile Solar Vents.
Then there is this one with Nimh battery instead and more CFMs for less.
Day & Night Plus Solar Vent
What am I missing?
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 14:03   #2

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Hi Therapy! I believe the fist and second vents are removable, where as the third "plus model is screwed down permanently. I have 6 of the "Plus" models on board, and we love them (4" model stainless). Hope this helps...

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 14:06   #3

Boat: Outbound 44
I think you are looking at different vent hole sizes. I think the N20503W is 3in hole and N20504W is a 4 in. both plastic. The N20704S is in steel. If I read these numbers right.

Paul L
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 14:56   #4
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Our solar garden lights are one of our best cheap buys.
The other day I changed the 600mAH NICAD's with 2,500mAH NIMH and they function much better.
The are brighter and definily last all night. Thats importnat for us as we use them as anchor lights.

I really like these products with integrated solar, like TacTick instruments etc. They allow for wireless instalation and operation, and set & forget, of course.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 14:58   #5

How much air do those solar lights move?
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 15:03   #6
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Therapy,

I'd buy the last one on your list--4", higher power, more air movement. I installed the 4" standard SS model in the overhead hatch in our head, and it does a terrific job of minimizing mold and stuffy smells when the boat is stored on the hard over the summer hurricane season here in the Caribbean.
Old 01-04-2009, 15:40   #7

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
I think you are looking at different vent hole sizes. I think the N20503W is 3in hole and N20504W is a 4 in. both plastic. The N20704S is in steel. If I read these numbers right.

Paul L
Thanks Paul,

That helps and makes sense.

The defender site is wonderful but not enough details.

Plus I can't find the manufacturers site. I thought I had been there before but can't find it.

Cheech - 700 to 1000 cubic feet per hour.

Hud - thanks.

I don't know if I should make the jump for removable or not..........probably not since they will be on the hatches of a Gemini. If I get green water on that I will have more problems than a splash through the vent.

And all the Nicro stuff works fine in the rain if I remember.
Old 01-04-2009, 16:35   #8

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Marinco bought them. There are 3" and 4" versions of all the vents, but the main difference with what you posted is the first two snap into plastic deck fittings, while the third is permanently screwed down. It has a shutter to seal off the unit when you dont want flow. I'm with Hud, the 4" stainless is the bomb. Here's the new site: Nicro | Marinco

Here, click on the Nicro catalog PDF, it has ALL the info you need: http://www.marinco.com/view/96/catalogs

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 17:02   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Van H View Post
Marinco bought them. There are 3" and 4" versions of all the vents, but the main difference with what you posted is the first two snap into plastic deck fittings, while the third is permanently screwed down. It has a shutter to seal off the unit when you dont want flow. I'm with Hud, the 4" stainless is the bomb. Here's the new site: Nicro | Marinco

Here, click on the Nicro catalog PDF, it has ALL the info you need: Catalogs for Marinco Electrical Group Brands | Marinco

That's it, the catalog. I did not look at that. I found the Marinco site and when you mouse over Nicro you can get to what looks like only two vents.

Thanks bunches.

I think the 4" stainless X2 would be the way to go.

Now, about a small one, there seems to not be a small (less than 8" dia.) that has a battery.

<edit> It will just have to be the mini 1000. That is OK.

Man this is a great place.
Thanks Chrisitian Van H.
Old 01-04-2009, 17:14   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Well, I'm big Nicro fan (pun intended).

I've used the 3 inch versions. When you consider they work 24 x 7 it is a huge amount of air movement. Short term you may not be impressed. I'll claim it has prevented mold build up in the entire boat for the past two boats. The last CSY 33 I had one in the head and in this current boat I have one in the head and one in the galley. They work great and the batteries last about 2 years. You can cheat and use NiMH instead of the NiCD that comes with it. Better yet get a bigger amp hour rating NiMH and I'll bet it goes maybe 4 years. the head is a great place since the shower makes so much moisture. You crack the door open with a fixed hook and then it can pull air all the time.

I've worn them out the poor bearings. After spinning several (3 to 4) years don't last forever. You'll hear the worn shaft for about a year before they give up. You then remove the old fan and replace it with a new one. I've had good luck on ebay but I don't suggest it since I think I'll need one soon.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 17:19   #11

I just installed a Nicor SS vent in place of an ancient non-motored vent. Put it on the original flat point built for the original vent. Only after I had got it installed did I realizde that the slope of the deck opened up the outboard half to the risk of a sheet catching under the edge and plucking off the vent. So now I'm trying to design a deflector of some kind on compound curves.
clearsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 17:31   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
Hi All;

Can any of these vents be made 100% waterproof? I would love to put one up in the v-birth area, but I would need to be assured that it could be "dogged down" when sailing in weather/waves.

Also, Any recommendations for a non-solar vent? The other place I would like to put a vent is in the galley, but the overhead there is under the dodger, so solar won't work.

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 19:40   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
They come with a plug you can use if you pull out the vent. It's a vent so no they can't be totally waterproof. I've not had a problem even when water splashes about but it could happen. It deals with rain just fine.

Once you cut the hole you install a plastic sleeve, then a little grease and push the unit it in. You can take it out with gentle taps from below. They also make decorative rings or a rubber ruing for the interior. For the less fancy you use the rubber ring for the screws that come through to secure the slave in place. You really don't want the sharp screws showing. I used that when I had one in a hatch in the head. They also make a passive vent too. I switched both for a solar active vent. The 3 inch hole works for both.

The hole cutting is the only chore.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 19:55   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post

The hole cutting is the only chore.
LOL
The details on that will be asked when/if I get them.
Bowmar hatches. Don't know the material they use.
Just drill away huh?

Usually for me it is
Old 01-04-2009, 22:28   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
My boat is in Alameda, CA. Not especially the mold capital of the world. My boat came with one of these vents on the forward hatch. Didn't really notice that it was doinf anything. A year after I bought the boat, stowed my sailing dink on the foredeck covering up the vent. Without the sun it no longer workded and I began to get mold in the boat. Not that I've been overwhelmed by mold but I went from none to some. One thing I don't like about the vent I have is the only way to seal it is to put a cap on the inside. Could see it filling up with water in nasty sea conditions and possibly popping off and flooding ghe boat.

Aloha
Peter O.
Pearson 35
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote