Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2017, 05:08   #1

Phuket or Hong Kong marine carpenter

Hi there , we are looking for some major carpentry work to be done on the interior of our boat. Would anyone have any recommendations for a good quality marine carpenter / joiner / shipwright located in Hong Kong or Phuket please ? Thank you in advance
Gecko Cruising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 05:21   #2

Boat: Cranchi Atlantique 48
Re: Phuket or Hong Kong marine carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecko Cruising View Post
Hi there , we are looking for some major carpentry work to be done on the interior of our boat. Would anyone have any recommendations for a good quality marine carpenter / joiner / shipwright located in Hong Kong or Phuket please ? Thank you in advance
You'll wish to use Phuket Inter Woodwork.
They did a great job with my teak deck and other repairs, after I saw them recommended by many others.
Details here:
http://www.noonsite.com/Countries/Th...t/phuket-inter
Zven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 05:39   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zven View Post
You'll wish to use Phuket Inter Woodwork.
They did a great job with my teak deck and other repairs, after I saw them recommended by many others.
Details here:
http://www.noonsite.com/Countries/Th...t/phuket-inter

Thank you so much .. we will make contact with them
Old 11-08-2017, 06:16   #4

Should you want to consider the Philippines there's two professional yacht fit out yards here in Subic,

Ocean Gecko

HYS Yachts: Subic Bay Philippines: Home

Both Xpat managed with high quality workmanship

Cheers Steve
Captsteve53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 06:36   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Gecko.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:53   #6
Marine Service Provider

Sorry to hijack your post for my own benefit Gecko but does anyone know if this kind of quality work exists anywhere in the Caribbean area?
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 18:40   #7

Phuket or Hong Kong marine carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captsteve53 View Post
Should you want to consider the Philippines there's two professional yacht fit out yards here in Subic,

Ocean Gecko

Cheers Steve

Thanks Steve yes we would consider Subic bay
..actually that's our preference but we weren't sure if there is anyone there that can do our work. Are these shipwrights expensive,
Or Asia prices ? Thanks
Old 11-08-2017, 18:41   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Gecko.

Thanks [emoji4]
Old 11-08-2017, 18:42   #9

Boat: Knight & Carver 75'

Quote:

Ocean Gecko

Cheers Steve
Both these organisations are highly recommended and good operators but mainly do very large projects.
Another option for smaller projects is the carpenters who renewed the timber interior of my boat in Subic Bay now work for me at the Broadwater Marine Service Division.
Old 11-08-2017, 23:43   #10

Just a further note re Subic yards,

Peters input is correct regarding the larger re build yards but just to note at present both are fairly quite business wise and looking for work and would Im sure be willing to under take smaller vessels at a competitive rate,

Alternatively :

I have personally just "project managed" completed a full rebuild of a Jeanneau 47 inclusive full interior /keel off /mast off/teak decks/complete re wire/ rebuild utilizing a crew of independent tradesmen working inside Water Craft Ventures boat yard (with travel lift). These "independents" will either work on a daily rate or give you a quotation per job or part there of, if going this way i would recommend some form of hands on supervision (just to keep every one honest in terms of quality workmanship and materials

Cheers Steve
Old 12-08-2017, 08:57   #11

Boat: Cranchi Atlantique 48

Quote:
I have personally just "project managed" completed a full rebuild of a Jeanneau 47 inclusive full interior /keel off /mast off/teak decks/complete re wire/ rebuild utilizing a crew of independent tradesmen working inside Water Craft Ventures boat yard (with travel lift)...
Cheers Steve
Hi Steve,
This is interesting, as I'm also on my way to the Philippines and there's always work to be done .... :-)
But I'm curious... How do you go about getting hold of parts and materials there? I've heard some horror stories about taxes and obstacles etc.
How about teak for example... or electronics...
Would the choice and prices compare to what's available in Thailand or Malaysia?
Zven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 23:17   #12

Thailand may be easier in some area's (probably the teak requirement)
However:
It is possible to basically get every thing here in the Philippines and getting better (yes there are hoops to jump through-but knowing the hurdles in advance helps tremendously)

Broad water Marine based here in Subic(with branches through out the Philippines) (Recently with new management) has a wide range of equipment off the shelve and brings in on a regular basis consignments from the US /Australia(inside SBMA is a duty free zone) saying that the hurdles still remain and rules and regulations need to be followed. You can basically order from there international catalouge and have delivered either on an individual basis or consolidated (obviously cheaper)

Teak is not impossible to find either in Manila through suppliers or through the boat yards here in Subic or further afield in Mariveles /Cebu, Between the above suppliers we recently refitted the Jeanneau 47 completely inside plus the cockpit with solid teak decks.(Forgot to mention the boat renovation yard in Mariveles that does all ranges/sizes of re fits)

Depending on the tradesman/expertise(individuals/independents) daily expectations range from 500 pesos($10) upwards to 1000 -1500 pesos daily($20-25) (Larger companies may have additional charges) but gives you an idea.

It can be frustrating working on your yacht here in the Philippines but as many have found out and keep coming back it's hard to beat the price and quality of work, one huge advantage here is that 99% of any one you deal with speaks English and Subic(SBMA) itself has all the amenities of a large city but enclosed with in a gated very safe community.

If you send me a PM/email I can send you a complete price list from Water craft Ventures yard out lining there rates etc,

Cheers Steve
Old 12-08-2017, 23:26   #13

Forgot to mention, there are several stainless shops that turn out world class items (truly) at a fraction of the price , same goes for upholstery/awnings, the sunbrella is the same price as other countries but the labor again is ridiculously cheap,

We also have one of the best GRP technicians in Asia doing vessel repairs or manufacturing new Rudders through to custom rear platforms/solid dodgers etc,(Asian Prices)

Cheers Steve
Old 14-08-2017, 16:19   #14

Hi Steve many thanks for all the above information and I have received your PM. I will reply to you by email over the following days. We are currently lying in HK... intention to follow the China Sea Race down at the end March.
Question... where is the best mariner to book into? And do we need to book advance? Many thanks.[emoji4]
Old 15-08-2017, 03:28   #15

Chins Sea Race time is obviously the busy time for both berthing situations around Subic Bay so would get in early to either

Subic Bay Yacht Club

Some berths/moorings are also available at Watercraft Ventures Yard best to contact Jared Leong
Cell +63-9175960231

Email: mahalaliel@gmail.com

Manila Yacht club is an option and Puerto Galera Yacht club as well(very nice place) but 60 nm-100 nm from Subic Bay

Cheers Steve

Tags
carpenter, Hong Kong, marine