Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2018, 07:56   #1

Permanent diesel fuel bladder installation

We are considering a Grand Banks 36 with permanently installed diesel fuel bladders in place of the original iron tanks. The bladders are not accessible for inspection as they are enclosed within 3/4" marine plywood. It is unclear if the bladders have baffles. Fuel bladders in aircraft have many benefits. Future resale value of the vessel without fitting metal tanks is one of several considerations. Does anyone have experience with permanently installed fuel bladder tanks?
Phil Viscomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2018, 08:08   #2

Re: Permanent diesel fuel bladder installation

I think they are a deficit for future sale. Although they are used in industry some. I just think most people consider them a band aid fix.. rightfully so or not...

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2018, 08:12   #3

Thank you!
Phil Viscomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2018, 08:46   #4

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Depends of the quality of the bladders as well of the installation. Without additional facts nobody knows.
Teddy
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2018, 09:13   #5

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Phil, I have had a good experience with a bladder tank. I had a bladder installed inside of one of my black iron fuel tanks in 2004. It has been good ever since with no sign of problem. I elected to use the old tank to support the custom made and shaped bladder tank. This is NOT an off the shelf bladder crammed into an odd space. The company which built the bladder does a lot of aircraft bladders. Instead of baffles there is an open mesh material (like a loofah sponge) that the fuel can flow through but not slosh. Below is the information about the supplier of my bladder.

Aero Tec Laboratories, Inc.
Spear Road
Ramsey, New Jersey 07440

201-825-1400
ATL@ATLINC.COM

Cost was $1296 in 2004. That was in addition to the labor cost of cleaning the existing tank, grinding out the baffles in the iron tank and installing the bladder and associated plumbing.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2018, 09:34   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

If the tanks were made by Aero Tec Labs, they are good quality.

Are they just pillow tanks sitting in plywood boxes or liners like Tayana42 describes? I would prefer the liner type. The pillow type are great for temporary fuel storage but I would worry about chafe long term.

ATL pillow tanks were a favorite of drug smugglers back in the early eighties
Old 30-07-2018, 18:51   #7

Boat: Roberts 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Viscomi View Post
We are considering a Grand Banks 36 with permanently installed diesel fuel bladders in place of the original iron tanks. The bladders are not accessible for inspection as they are enclosed within 3/4" marine plywood. It is unclear if the bladders have baffles. Fuel bladders in aircraft have many benefits. Future resale value of the vessel without fitting metal tanks is one of several considerations. Does anyone have experience with permanently installed fuel bladder tanks?

You might want to check how long they're rated for. I remember someone mentioning that they need replacing every 5 years.

https://www.timantra.net
hzcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, fuel, installation