Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2017, 17:17   #1

Perkins 4.108 Locked Up in the Exumas

Hi and thanks in advance to anyone who can offer me some good advice here. I bought a boat that was sitting in the Bahamas - the Exumas to be more precise. The engine is locked up - it would not turn over with a breaker bar on the crankshaft nut, would not budge a millimeter. The oil looks dark and does not show signs of water intrusion. The boat was over at a slight angle and took some water onboard during the last hurricane. The engine has not turned over in 16 months. The water line on the engine was half way up the side of the starter, and just up to the bottom of the crank shaft pulley. What I'm planning on doing is pulling the injectors and shooting WD40 into the cylinders. If I can get the engine to turn over with no compression in it then maybe it will run. I am bringing these items to the little island where she sits. 1. new starter. 2. tool kit 3. oil and filter 4. ??
If you have some thoughts on what I should do besides sell it for whatever I can get for it please contribute. I will be most grateful!
PigZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 17:27   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: Perkins 4.108 Locked Up in the Exumas

If you can't turn it over with the injectors out then you will likely have to pull the head. So, hydro lock or rings rusted to the cylinder are my thoughts. Let us know how you make out.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 17:29   #3

I'd say - first check if there's any water on the bottom of oil pan (basically, unscrew oil drain plug and see, what's coming out - oil of water. To inspect cylinders, inspection camera through injector hole would be the best (some of these cams are inexpensive). And yes, there's big chance that head has to come out (at very least).
ranchero76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 17:31   #4

Water action during the cane likely pumped into the cylinders from the exhaust. If it wont turn at all, It's likely toast. Remove and the head and find out. You shouldn't run it even if the WD40 frees it up anyway.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 17:32   #5

Thanks for the reply. Yes I'm guessing the head will come off - I will have a torque wrench with me. Will I need a new head gasket when I reinstall or can I reuse the old one for the short term?
Old 01-04-2017, 17:55   #6

If the wd40 does free it up what do you suggest I do to make it ready to run? I could change the oil. I could try to clean the surfaces of the cylinders with the head off. It is sitting in a remote place and towing it is much more than the boat is worth.
Old 01-04-2017, 18:52   #7

Boat: Lancer 44 Motor Sailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PigZen View Post
If the wd40 does free it up what do you suggest I do to make it ready to run? I could change the oil. I could try to clean the surfaces of the cylinders with the head off. It is sitting in a remote place and towing it is much more than the boat is worth.
Pull injectors, pour 2-3 oz ATF in each cylinder. Wait 2 days. Rock engine crank back and forth with a large breaker bar with a pipe over the end. Don't snap bolt on pulley. If it starts to move even a little add 2 more oz ATF to each cylinder and rock crank back and forth again. If your able to move the crank go around a few revolutions. If you get this far hook up battery and crank for 10-15 seconds
ATF will squirt out the injector holes 5-10 feet. I take the pulley off and use a crank turning socket on the end of crank with a 3/4 inch 3 foot breaker and 2 foot pipe cheater over the end. Make sure oil has no water, replace injectors and prime fuel system with a gallon jug of CLEAN diesel fuel. Use water in cooling system. Don't waste anti-freeze if no go. Good luck.
Diesel Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 19:08   #8

Glad I posted. So ATF (automatic transmission fluid) will work better than WD40...? Never would have come up with that one. Thanks!
Old 02-04-2017, 01:22   #9

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Quote:
Glad I posted. So ATF (automatic transmission fluid) will work better than WD40...? Never would have come up with that one. Thanks!
Full of detergents, we used to use it as engine flush prior to an oil change., just curious which boat, we are here now?
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 04:45   #10

My boat is Saba Spice and is sitting pretty at Staniel Cay.
Old 02-04-2017, 05:50   #11

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
You can also do a 50-50 mixture of ATF and Acetone. The ATF makes the mix creep better. The creeping may help it get down to the frozen parts.

If you do the acetone mix, you will need to lightly screw the injectors back in to stop it from evaporating while soaking.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 08:38   #12

Quote:
I guess I would cycle the engine and clean the cylinders with the head off if they will clean up. But if frozen as hard as you say there is likely damage to the cylinder walls. If you run without smooth walls, it will likely break the piston lands. Wonder if the valves are frozen in the head too?
As you say... it's in the middle of nowhere... Maybe a big outboard bolt on bracket and 20-25 hp outboard can salvage the boat? That'll be tough on an OI I suppose though...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 10:02   #13

Boat: GibSea 472

In my opinion, the first thing to do is to find out what is wrong.
1- The simpler and most probable: Cylinder full of water, or coolant. Water is not compressible and nothing will move a millimeter if water in cylinders. Removing the injectors and trying to turn the engine will tell you if it is the case. Be aware that some surface rust may have pitted cylinder walls.
An inspection camera into the injector hole will tell a lot.
I believe that the engine crancase if full of oil most have protected the delicate bearings from rust. so things may not as bad as it looks.
2 if the engine move just a bit, and there is no water in cylinder, then removing the head is required. I would not try to put too much force trying to rotate it. It could do serious damage in cylinder walls or worst break something badly.
3- inspecting the head will tel if the a piston collided with the valves(valve stem bent(easy to fix), or piston crown dented... very bad).
4- taking advantage of head removal to sending the head for a complete check up and repair(valve seat, oil seals,guides, etc...) and repair would be a good idea .
Good luck
Elie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 11:30   #14

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

All of the above have merit, but MMO (marvel miracle oil) down the injector hole after you've removed them and STILL get no movement, allowed to sit for weeks, will seep and help break any rust-bound rings.

A horse syringe and a piece of tubing to evacuate any water first, if there is any, wouldn't hurt; it's something you could buy at most auto places (you don't say where in the Exumas you are, but if it's George Town, I'd bet Top II Bottom would have or can get one - I use it to change my tranny fluid).

Assuming you get it to rock, eventually, do that GENTLY (no injectors should mean you can turn it over easily), stopping when it gets stiff, and wait some more. When you can easily get it to go full circle each way, THEN do the starter turnover (rags over the holes to prevent gushers). Don't forget to block the raw water intake or you'll flood your muffler...

Assuming you get it to turn easily, and that the oil still looks good after some vigorous turning with the starter, put the injectors back in (still no raw water),. bleed it, and see if it will start. You can run it for a few minutes without damage from cold.

Pull the dipstick again to see if you're still happy. If not, do an oil change. If really unhappy (milky foam-ish) do an oil change with MMO and run a couple of minutes and then do a regular oil change (filter both times).

This process works for submerged engines. From the sound of it, you won't have that much trouble, but MMO is a nice lubricant and penetrant...

L8R

Skip
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 12:28   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Perkins 4.108 Locked Up in the Exumas

I love MMO Marvel Mystery Oil, it was developed many years ago to keep the Marvel carburetor on aircraft clean, there are better penetrants.
Best is the 50/50 mix of acetone and ATF, next is PB Blaster, then maybe Kroil and then maybe MMO.

http://www.marvelmysteryoil.com/index.php/site/about/
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exumas, perkins