Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2012, 10:27   #1

Perkins 4-108 diesel

How do you change the oil on a Perkins 4-108 diesel? How much oil will she take and what filter do I buy? The boat is 500+ miles away and I want to be prepared before I drive out there. I've only changed the oil in a 15 horse Yanmar where I sucked the oil out of the dipstick tube with a vacuum pump.
bsankey448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2012, 10:43   #2
KDH

Boat: Wauquiez Centurian 42'
Re: Perkins 4-108 diesel

You can do the same thing on a 4-108 or at least you can on mine! There is also an old sump entry where once upon a time my engine had a built in pump although it is long gone and capped. I prefer to change through the dipstick. There are a few different models of 4-108 so I suggest you wait until you get there and hopefully the boat will have an owners manual. If you have some pics and want to put them up I'm sure someone on here can help you identify which 4-108 it is. I think it is about 5 qts, could be a bit more ( I always have to look this up in the manual). We use a Fram oil filter, PH2821A. Bought it at Advance Auto parts online but if you are in a rural area (used on tractor engines) they may have it in store.
KDH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, perkins