Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 20-01-2014, 08:35   #16

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'
Re: Perfection vs awlgrip vs gel coat

I did the sand in epoxy thing on my monohull. Here is a trick: Most oil based primers (I used zinsser from home depot) will bond very well to slightly tacky epoxy. I would mask off a section, roll on a coat of epoxy, sprinkle sand, then while the epoxy was still tacky, roll or brush on a coat of primer. The sand I used was so course that filling in with paint was a good thing. My boat originally had a nice tan color which I tried several times to match but finally discovered Rustoleum gloss almond for about $7. a quart (you can't beat that price). After several rounds of varnishing the toerail and coaming (without masking) I would then mask the varnished parts and go back with the gloss almond to straighten out the line.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010117.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	415.2 KB
ID:	74341  

Old 20-01-2014, 08:56   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Looking for a new boat

I will start a separate thread but anyone ever tried this stuff? http://www.ecosafetyproducts.com/Ind...ting-s/178.htm

Old 20-01-2014, 09:07   #18

I want to try this stuff: Rust-Oleum Restore
Home Depot has a nice display on it, I would go with the white or cream, I am surprised there are no reports of using it on a boat yet. I am doing Awlgrip on Thumbs Up but this would have been great for my last boat. Has anybody tried this yet?
Old 20-01-2014, 09:23   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Perfection vs awlgrip vs gel coat

I've seen it used on some driveways. But it's not really good looking stuff.
Old 20-01-2014, 11:07   #20

Boat: 1973 Easterly 36

Having painted the topsides and decks of my 1961 Columbia I can say Perfection was very easy to work with. If you've ever mixed epoxy or resin you'll be right at home. The chemicals weren't that bad. I used a 3m respirator with the charcoal filters ect. Several times I even did it without that when there was a slight breeze.

Forget rolling and tipping with a brush. I tried several brushes some at more than $30 a pop, to get a good brush out. I'm an experienced painter and with latex or oil based I've done TONS of trim in my house with no brush strokes but this stuff was a little tricky. You can't loose your wet edge period! If you do go back sand it out and try again on another coat. Even so it requires a very light hand on the tip off. Instead what I f ound was to get the white foam rollers and change them out every 15-30min (you'll see them start to get soft and floppy plenty of warning). Load up your roller cover your small arear then go back with the now somewhat dry roller and slowly go back over the wet part and knock down any stipple. Then let it flow out.

The advice the manufacturer gives must be followed. No direct sunligh, I had to set up a tarp tent around my boat to make this happen. The paint will start to kick too quickly once applied in sunlight and will not flow out. Low wind days are best, otherwise it will usually evaporate out the solvents too quickly. You must thin it! The manufacturer says you can if needed, in my experience in all kinds of temps it needs it. I usually went a little heavier than the recommended amounts on the thinner.

I think it came out great but You be the judge...

In the end is it better to repaint every year? Or do it once with a somewhat higher VOC paint every 15years? I did the decks in epoxy primer then brightsides, and I really regret not using the Perfection on the decks. You can add the nonslip additive or just use a good silica sand as a non skid in any of the paints.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Laura painting Mcs.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	74345   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mcs in the yard.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	74346  

Name:	shear stripe done.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	74347   Click image for larger version

Name:	Beam on in the lift.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	74348  

Name:	stern on in the well.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	74349  
Old 20-01-2014, 11:10   #21

Also after a few hours the fumes what there were, were practically gone. In a day I or my wife also with chronic asthma couldn't detect any odor. She also helped me with the painting so it didn't effect her too much. However, I know everyones asthma can be affected by different things. My wife can't take Kerosene or kerosene fumes but this stuff didn't bother her.
Old 20-01-2014, 11:21   #22

Boat: Kadey Krogen 38 cutter

Just painting my 38 Krogan cutter with System Three water base linear poly. Very good product. No smell at all. Reported to hold up for years. We shall see. Not as shiny as Awlgrip, although they do sell a very high gloss clear if thats what you need. I don't. Painted everything else, bildge, engine bay, locker with Home Depot white andd gray oil base.
Old 20-01-2014, 18:36   #23

I almost went with System Three lpu, but someone told me it didn't go on well in hot muggy weather and they don't have much of a color choice. I went with Awlgrip, roll and tip and it is ongoing as weather here permits. every section we do is a three day process just for the finish coat. The advantage to having it sprayed is that they can do all three topcoats in the same day. The stuff is like magic though, It goes on water thin and magically smooths itself out (if you use enough thinner). I think our OP should probably try the System Three though if he wants something better than single part paint but with low odor. It sounds pretty forgiving.
Old 20-01-2014, 18:58   #24
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

I don't think that anything beats Awlgrip 545 primer. It is the work-horse of the Awlgrip system, it not only provides the optimal interface for the topcoat, it also stabilizes and reinforces whatever is underneath it. Think of the topcoats just as protection for the 545.

I researched this for white Awlgrip topcoat on 545 primer and it is inert after cure. I needed that as this was for finishing my new freezer and fridge inner liners. It is 10 years of hard use later and still looks like the day it was painted.

I would try West System rollers for painting, as well as for making a "brush" for the roll & tip method. Also be sure to try on a test piece without tipping it as some colors under some conditions don't need it.

Old 20-01-2014, 19:11   #25
Mooderator

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I don't think that anything beats Awlgrip 545 primer. It is the work-horse of the Awlgrip system, it not only provides the optimal interface for the topcoat, it also stabilizes and reinforces whatever is underneath it. Think of the topcoats just as protection for the 545.
SNIP

+1 on the 545….. In fact I use it as a build coat under varnish (in clear of course)
Old 21-01-2014, 22:20   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

Here's our paint project with Perfection. We didn't notice a solvent problem.

Macintosh 47 Deck Project Pics - Perfection
Old 20-03-2014, 22:46   #27

Boat: 1978 Cal 39 MKII Tall Mast

I was impressed with how well my Awlgrip came out, seeing as I am a total beginner and have never painted anything besides the broad side of a house before this.

The primer is amazing, rolls on really nice, and with lots of sanding to smooth it to perfection, rolling on the Awlgrip topcoat was like a mirror, even without tipping.

For step by step instructions, cost, and time required on my Cal 39 check out adamrbecker.com/topcoat. Here's a quick excerpt:

1. Wash the entire boat. (Hose, scrub, rinse, dry.)
    1. I didn’t have to wipe with 120 Brushing Thinner using this method.
  2. Tape everything again as required.
  3. Pick a day with no wind, cloud cover but no rain, around 60-70 degrees (80 cures the paint too fast which doesn’t allow the paint to smooth out completely.) You can paint with wind, but make sure there’s no dust in the air. Also, you’ll have to work much harder pinning stuff down as you work. If there’s time, wait for a better day.
  4. With 70 degree weather in Kaneohe Bay I mixed the 2 parts thoroughly using a paint mixing drill attachment in a graduated plastic container with lid. After mixing, I closed the lid and let sit for 5 minutes (15 was recommended, but Keith said 5 was plenty). I then added 15% thinner, mixed thoroughly and began painting.
  5. Use a 7” roller with West System 800 roller covers.
  6. ...
Hope this is helpful!

Old 25-03-2014, 15:24   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by beebopbogo View Post
I was impressed with how well my Awlgrip came out, seeing as I am a total beginner and have never painted anything besides the broad side of a house before this.

The primer is amazing, rolls on really nice, and with lots of sanding to smooth it to perfection, rolling on the Awlgrip topcoat was like a mirror, even without tipping.

For step by step instructions, cost, and time required on my Cal 39 check out adamrbecker.com/topcoat. Here's a quick excerpt:

1. Wash the entire boat. (Hose, scrub, rinse, dry.)
    1. I didn’t have to wipe with 120 Brushing Thinner using this method.
  2. Tape everything again as required.
  3. Pick a day with no wind, cloud cover but no rain, around 60-70 degrees (80 cures the paint too fast which doesn’t allow the paint to smooth out completely.) You can paint with wind, but make sure there’s no dust in the air. Also, you’ll have to work much harder pinning stuff down as you work. If there’s time, wait for a better day.
  4. With 70 degree weather in Kaneohe Bay I mixed the 2 parts thoroughly using a paint mixing drill attachment in a graduated plastic container with lid. After mixing, I closed the lid and let sit for 5 minutes (15 was recommended, but Keith said 5 was plenty). I then added 15% thinner, mixed thoroughly and began painting.
  5. Use a 7” roller with West System 800 roller covers.
  6. ...
Hope this is helpful!

Looks great! Nice job. It's amazing how good products can make even a novice look like a pro if you only follow directions. All in all wether you use awl grip or perfection it all comes down to the preparation. You must have a good clean smoothed surface to paint. How you get there is up to you!
Old 25-03-2014, 15:36   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon-C22 Chrysler Sunpiper- 19 Potter-Preparing to cruise w/my girl

Good thread... wanna watch... subscribe!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2014, 16:54   #30

Boat: Valiant 40

Unbusted, I would not shy away from these paints simply because of the precautions you need to take to work with them. While I assume you were exaggerating, top coating every couple of years vs. a good quality paint job with a long-lasting paint will get old (and look old) pretty quickly.

Just another option to consider, is doing all the prep (sanding, solvent washing, filling, taping etc) yourself and having someone spray it. That's what I did recently. I opted for Awlcraft 2000 (over 545) as I wanted something that would actually improve with age (buffing it every few years will smooth it out), can be easily repaired, and can be top coated down the road with minimal prep and fuss. It's not as long lasting as Awlgrip, but a well cared for Awlcraft paint job will last 10+ years, and then just need another topcoat or two. I did everything but the actual spraying, which meant I was paying for 5 hours of labor (high build primer, then 545, then topcoat) instead of 80. If you're worried about your wife's health, send her off shopping when the paint guy comes around.

Another thing to consider is cost. While the two part paints are expensive, they last exponentially longer than one part paints. Consider the long term cost of paint and labor (even if it's only your time) of going with a lesser product.

If you're not willing to pay someone just to do the spraying part, then I would suggest rolling Perfection. I've seen quite a few boats with gorgeous results with that approach.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: