Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2013, 14:42   #1

Perfection Plus is Killing My Budget

Perfection Plus two part clear polyurethane "varnish" is a tough, rather elastic coating and is working really well for me. Up to a point.

It comes in a one quart package, to be mixed 2:1 by volume. Part B, the "hardener" comes in a re-closeable can with a screw top. When coating small parts, I often use small amounts and always re-close the containers promptly. However, the Part B goes off, turning solid in its container if I try to store it for three or four weeks while working on other projects.

Part B is only offered in combination with Part A. At $85-$105 per quart. I now have surplus Part A and no Part B; tough to face discarding the unused Part A.

Anybody know how to source more Part B alone? Anybody know how to store opened Part B without it going off? (I've tried other closed containers, storing it in the dark and "Bloxygen" air displacement. None of these efforts had any discernible effect.

Is this an oxygen "cure"? A UV "cure"? A moisture "cure"? I can't find out what triggers the stuff to go off. The mfg. site offers no information on point.

I'd hate to give up a really good product because (a) it's really expensive to begin with, but - barely - worth it; and (b) it's much too expensive when half or even more of the quart is lost and unusable because Part B can't be stored after opening.

Any help would be appreciated.

LH44 Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 15:00   #2

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane
Re: Perfection Plus is Killing My Budget

Volatile compounds in "B" are evaporating, thus causing the hardening; that's your dilemma. After usage, place a piece of cloth on the opening, then tap the cover on top of it to give you a tight seal. Do not use plastic sheeting, as it will melt/dissolve. Mauritz
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 15:19   #3

Boat: Seafarer36c

Another idea is to re-cant into smaller glass containers and fill up the empty space with glass marbles.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 15:30   #4

Boat: Irwin 40

You could try refrigerating it as well. This tends to slow chemical reactions. I have not used the stuff you are talking about so have no first had experience just a thought off the top of my head. (And not all thoughts that come from there are good ones lol)
sailvayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 17:13   #5

I use alot of Awlgrip 2part paint. The converter has a tendency to harden also. Fortunately, you can buy it seperately. I always put the lid on tight, then, tape the lid to try to keep it from hardening. I also think putting it in a beer refrigerator will probably help. Good luck.
haw1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 18:10   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
Volatile compounds in "B" are evaporating, thus causing the hardening; that's your dilemma.
If that is the case then skip the cloth, tape all around the lid very well, and store the product upside down in another container that won't dissolve if it leaks through your tape job. Vapors can't migrate downward through the hardener and escape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Another idea is to re-cant into smaller glass containers and fill up the empty space with glass marbles.
Or do this and store the container upside down, in another container of course.
ShipShape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 13:51   #7

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Wrote to Akzo Nobel about the problem - same text as the OP. Just got a reply today, as follows:

"I am sorry for the difficulties you are encountering. Unfortunately, we do not market or sell just the catalyst for our Perfection Plus system. The only product you could use would be Awlgrip Awlcat 2 for spray application or Awlgrip Awlcat 3 for brush and roll application. You would mix Awlcat 2 at a 1 to 1 ratio, or Awlcat 3 at a 2 to 1 ratio (Base to converter.). These two products are not identical, so I’m not sure if the results will be satisfactory(e.g lower gloss), but chemically, the cure would occur. I personally wouldn’t even try going this route, as we wouldn’t be able to guarantee it would work.The other issue with this is that Awlcat converters are generally more expensive than the entire Perfection Plus kit.

"I do not know how to extend the life of Perfection Plus cure once opened. I’d imagine the reaction is moisture or oxygen driven.

"All the best,
"Kenneth Wickey
"Technical Service Representative
"Yacht N.A.

"T +1 908-964-2213
"F +1 908-686-8545
"E Ken.Wickey@akzonobel.com

"International Paint LLC
"2270 Morris Avenue
"Union, NJ 07083

"www.akzonobel.com/yacht
"Follow AkzoNobel online at www.akzonobel.com/followus

A bit scary to think that the namufacturer doesn't know what happens to their product in the field. And a bit lassiz faire about the problem.

I think I'll be looking at alternatives for the future.

LH44 Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 14:00   #8

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

The manufacturer knows exactly the chemical reactions that take place. It is just a huge liability issue when the public starts experimenting. Sales dept. would rather you buy new kits; great for the bottom line. Mauritz
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 14:27   #9

Boat: a sailing boat

Find another owner who has a similar project and share the contents?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 14:43   #10

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

Ditto the fridge. It slows down every catalyst that I've ever put in there.
Old 08-06-2013, 15:02   #11

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

+1 on the fridge. Boatyard I used to work at had a dedicated refrigerator for Awlgrip, etc. Worked well.
Warning: Do not put anything you intend to eat in that fridge.

Tags
budget