Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2008, 20:19   #1

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Penetrol, the wonder additive

This stuff has been around forever in Australia.
I just revisited the penatrol site looking for something to combat rust effectively in my old car and found this
The Flood Company Australia

It seems to just about do anything, even rejuvinate paint

It sounds almost too good. Has anyone used it and any comments

Quote:
INTRODUCTION

HOW DOES IT WORK
Marine Penetrol creeps into the most minute crevices and pinholes of any surface where ordinary paint cannot enter. There it dries to a tough yet extremely flexible finish, forming a powerful bonding film for the next coat of paint or varnish.

Stable and durable, Marine Penetrol compensates for the adverse
effects that weather and surface conditions have on paint.
Used alone as a primer sealer or added to oil or alkyd based paint, varnishes and stains or metal and wood primers Marine Penetrol enhances their inherent qualities and makes them stick to almost anything - even glass. Brush and lap marks are eliminated.
Peeling, cracking and premature chalking are a thing of the past. No more uneven paint film - a major cause of early breakdown of surface coatings.
Unlike thinners, Marine Penetrol does not evaporate and actually makes more paint. One litre of Marine Penetrol added to four litres of paint will make five litres of paint. Thus, by ensuring greater coverage from each litre of paint, it actually saves money. That's a promise
Dave
Old 04-07-2008, 23:23   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
PENETROL & MARINE PENETROL (same thing) is a low viscosity penetrating oil, composed mainly of Stoddard Solvent (a common ingredient).

Penetrating fluids and solvents aren’t very good general-purpose lubricants, nor rust preventatives, because such oils are relatively volatile. As a result, much of the penetrating oil will evaporate in a short amount of time, leaving little residual lubricant.

MSDS:
http://www.flood.com/NR/rdonlyres/7A...nePenetrol.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 03:50   #3
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Have used it on painted surfaces to prep for re-painting. and as a paint additive to enhance drying and eliminate brush stokes. Works very well.

Hadn't thought of it as a lubricant at all. It will dry with a light brown shade, so avoid getting it on any light colored surface that you are not painting.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:49   #4
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
I have used in a similar way as Hud as an additive to run of the mill alkyd paints like Jotun Pilot I & Pilot II. Worked quite well making it easier to brush and keeping a wet edge, especially in an Aussie summer.

Interestingly it had no effect when added to a single pack epoxy enamel like Killrust super epoxy enamel. When I called the Flood Company for info, they confirmed my view that whatever Killrust put in that paint, it "killed" off any advantage of the Penetrol. Made me think they were quite honest and up front about their product.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2008, 17:58   #5

Boat: Bristol (Alden) 35 Sloop "Zephyr"
Another use for Penitrol

I knew a solo sailor who used it on the inside of her bronze ports. She told me she was tired of them turning green. I kind of liked the green look if it is even.
over40pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2008, 12:38   #6

Pro varnishers use it in Varnish

I knew a couple of professional Varnishers who add it to varnish to aid in flow out.
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote