Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2013, 19:54   #16

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft
Re: Penetrating Oils

We buy Kroil by the gallon in our farm shop and use in decent squirt cans. The aero Kroil cans don't work all that well I'm afraid but I use the graphite Kroil in all my locked gates. The smell of Kroil puts me in a zone, with many a day saved on the farm with enough Kroil, heat, hammers, and persistence.

Eight out of ten ladies prefer their men to come home from their battle with stubborn fasteners, bearings, or shafts smelling of Kroil.

We even have the tradition of throwing a formal party for my thirty staff, known as the "Kroil Formoil" where select men and women are given a can of Kroil. "Because nobody should be without a proper penetrating oil".

I'm sure mouse milk is the cats ass where you're from, but around my farm and boat, its Kroil.
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 21:08   #17

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

I've been using Pro One penetrating oil. They make a motor oil additive that has been used by our commercial sportfishing fleet for the last couple years. Apparently, according to the captains I've spoken to at San Diego Marine Exchange, they are running three times longer on their oil than before, the oil sample analyses have shown dramatic reductions in wear, and these guys are not fools. Here's the same testing procedure I got to see by their sales team: . The device they use for testing is pretty cool. They measure the current being consumed by the motor, and they measure the pressure on the roller with a torque wrench. The heat is reflected in the steam produced by the water bath test. The stuff originated as an oil well cutting oil. They found they were getting a drill bit to last three times longer with its use over competing products. Then they entered the motor lubricating market.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 21:27   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Bengearing, We should have kept our mouths shut. Now everyone will want Mousemilk. I used to buy it from an aircraft supply company here in Miami. You had to know to ask for it. It wasn't on display. It's been years since I bought any. I hope they still stock it.
Old 30-01-2013, 21:59   #19
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheoah View Post
We buy Kroil by the gallon in our farm shop and use in decent squirt cans. The aero Kroil cans don't work all that well I'm afraid but I use the graphite Kroil in all my locked gates. The smell of Kroil puts me in a zone, with many a day saved on the farm with enough Kroil, heat, hammers, and persistence.

Eight out of ten ladies prefer their men to come home from their battle with stubborn fasteners, bearings, or shafts smelling of Kroil.

We even have the tradition of throwing a formal party for my thirty staff, known as the "Kroil Formoil" where select men and women are given a can of Kroil. "Because nobody should be without a proper penetrating oil".

I'm sure mouse milk is the cats ass where you're from, but around my farm and boat, its Kroil.

Lol! Big Kroil fan here too....

Sometimes I wonder if anyone bothers to do a search before posting a thread at all, this article and recipe has been discussed a number of times here.....
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 23:12   #20

Boat: Swarbrick M27 27ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate
So OK, someone gotta step up to the plate and do it:

WTF is mousemilk?

Cheers,

Jim
Jim, all the answers are at

www.mousemilk.com

We have a big bottle of it at work and it gets a fair bit of use. Especially when removing turbos and waste gates. My theory is if it is good enough for aviation then it's good enough for my boat. I even use expired fuel tank sealant instead of sikaflex when it is available...works way better.

Cheers

Ben
bengearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 01:31   #21
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
So OK, someone gotta step up to the plate and do it:

WTF is mousemilk?

Cheers,

Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Bengearing, We should have kept our mouths shut. Now everyone will want Mousemilk. I used to buy it from an aircraft supply company here in Miami. You had to know to ask for it. It wasn't on display. It's been years since I bought any. I hope they still stock it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bengearing View Post
Jim, all the answers are at

Welcome to MouseMilk.com

We have a big bottle of it at work and it gets a fair bit of use. Especially when removing turbos and waste gates. My theory is if it is good enough for aviation then it's good enough for my boat. I even use expired fuel tank sealant instead of sikaflex when it is available...works way better.

Cheers

Ben
Hi Jim,

Well you now have the answer so not much that I can add except that it is commonly available in Oz at aviation products outlets and possibly Pilot Shops. We use it regularly and yes, its pretty good.

However my all time favourite is good old diesel - applied neat and let soak - seems to penetrate and slightly lubricate just about anything and is always available on board.

Recently I have been introduced to Reducteur H-72 and not only does it work very very well, it is also fast acting. According to the can, it acts upon the allotropic types of hydrated iron sesquioxides. Now I sure as hell have no idea what that means unless it just means rusty bits and pieces. Perhaps some of the rocket scientists on CF may be able to help out here
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote