Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2012, 06:17   #1

Peeling the Bottom

Anyone have an estimate for the time it takes to hand peel a boat bottom without removal of the thur hulls? It's a 37 ft Tayana, 32 ft waterline, 5'8" draft, full keel with cutaway forefoot.
lancelot9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:25   #2

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Re: Peeling the bottom

What do you mean by 'hand peel a boat bottom'? Are you talking about removing the gelcoat layer with a handheld planer?
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:41   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
What do you mean by 'hand peel a boat bottom'? Are you talking about removing the gelcoat layer with a handheld planer?
Same question from me.

BUT, if you are referring to using a hand held, electric powered gelcoat planer I had my 42' Pearson done and it was finished in an afternoon. Left a very good, clean surface for the next stages. Would not go any other way if I had to do it again.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:54   #4

Yes, it would be an electric powered gelcoat planer. I think that would be the best option to peel. Any other advice about the next stages of barrier coat application? Thanks
Old 05-06-2012, 07:46   #5

Boat: Outbound 44

We chemically stripped a Crealock 37 three years ago - took her down to gelcoat then applied barrier coat.

Most painful job ever undertaken - took days and days, exposed to nasty chemicals and old paint. I highly recommend spending the $2-3,000 and getting the bottom soda blasted.

Putting the barrier coats on was easy.
Outbound 44 #27
Bill Balme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:46   #6
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

I realize this is not part of your original question but I am curious - why exactly are you "peeling" the bottom and especially, why are you leaving the through hulls in while doing it?
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:52   #7

Re: Peeling the Bottom

Blisters.....Leaving thru hulls in since the cost for removal is high and I think the benefit is low
Old 05-06-2012, 08:55   #8
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Thanks
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:03   #9
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

Been wondering if anyone has prices for the planer and blades. I contacted the manufacterer a couple of times and got no response. Anybody know if they rent these anywhere the saint pete fl or charleston SC area? Or someone have the rig for sale?
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:42   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsailbyowner View Post
Been wondering if anyone has prices for the planer and blades. I contacted the manufacterer a couple of times and got no response. Anybody know if they rent these anywhere the saint pete fl or charleston SC area? Or someone have the rig for sale?
When I peeled my bottom, on a KP44, in Ft. Lauderdale, abut 7 years ago, it was about $1k, and I happily paid the peeler.

IMO, it's a messy job, and I think there are environmental requirements that have to be met, so if you can find a reasonable cost peeler, that might be the way to go.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:22   #11
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot9898 View Post
Anyone have an estimate for the time it takes to hand peel a boat bottom without removal of the thur hulls? It's a 37 ft Tayana, 32 ft waterline, 5'8" draft, full keel with cutaway forefoot.

Actual peel time should be about a half day, with another half day in setup and cleanup. Price should be less than 1k to have someone peel a bottom of this size. There is a price difference between the Gelstrip and Gelplane peelers (the two most common brands), and a technical difference as well. After much long use of both models I prefer the Gelstrip, despite Gelplanes slightly wider blades, or actually because of them. Basically Gelstrip ends up burning up less belts and is thus less needy of expensive and time consuming maintenance. Due to the handle setup Gelplane can be more comfortable to use for a very long peel, but the deadman switch gives me carpal tunnel real bad. The Gelstrip is much easier to maneuver and is lighter because it doesn't have the handles. It may also be more dangerous as a result, and don't kid yourself, this is an incredibly dangerous tool. Price should be about $1,200, but you also need lots of blades and belts. We always end up custom laminating a new shroud as well, as after a few hundred hours of operation time the stock shroud wears down to a nub. Not removing the thru-hulls is pretty standard. An experienced operator can get right up to them and leave very little for the grinder. Sometimes you can find a used peeler for sale on ebay. If it has not been cared for you may regret it however, they are a finicky tool which must be carefully tuned and cared for.
Attached Images

minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:51   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedoo View Post
When I peeled my bottom, on a KP44, in Ft. Lauderdale, abut 7 years ago, it was about $1k, and I happily paid the peeler.

IMO, it's a messy job, and I think there are environmental requirements that have to be met, so if you can find a reasonable cost peeler, that might be the way to go.

+1 a dozen times. Not sure of the separate cost since I paid a package for the whole bottom job. Would consider doing the sealing but it would have been worth almost the whole price just to get the peal done by a pro. The machine does take a bit of skill to do a good job, get the depth right and a nice smooth surface without gouging. And it is horribly messy.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:56   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsailbyowner View Post
The guy that did my boat is based in Jacksonville area but will travel within reason to do your boat.

He did an excellent job stripping the gelcoat. If interested send me a PM and I will send his contact details.

If I had the time I think paying for the peeling and doing the drying and sealing part yourself would be the best option.

Skip
Old 05-06-2012, 12:02   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot9898 View Post
Yes, it would be an electric powered gelcoat planer. I think that would be the best option to peel. Any other advice about the next stages of barrier coat application? Thanks
1. Peel bottom. Cut off enough to get to the bottom of the majority of the largest blisters.

2. Pressure wash to remove any unreacted resin, acid byproducts, etc that caused the blistering.

3. let sit for a while (weeks or months if you can, depending on location, temperature, humidity, heat lamps or not, etc).

4. Repeat 2 and 3 at least once. You don't have to wait months to dry before a repeat of the pressure washing but should wait for good drying after the final pressure wash.

5. Hand sand/grind any delaminated, resin starved or deeper blisters as needed.

6. Fill, fair and seal with initial coat.

7. sand and fair

8. apply several coats of final barrier.

9. bottom paint

10 go sailing.
Old 05-06-2012, 13:59   #15

Boat: jeanneau Gin Fizz-38'

Hey all, on the bottom subject, I have a 38', bottom has built up bottom paint with peel spots here and there, no blisters, what kind of job would this be, boat will be in the peekskill ny location next time on the hard. For 15 years I have scraped off loose paint sanded around the edges of those areas and repainted with pettite ultima ssa. An old salt boat yard owner told me a long time ago, don,t sweat it with that hunk of plastic, scrape the loose ****, paint it and stick in and sail it. Its not the prettiest but it doin ok. I would not want any part of the removal, however paintwork is ok....Red
redhead78 is offline   Reply With Quote