Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2014, 10:17   #1

Boat: WALLER MKII CAT 11M
Peel ply...how difficult /easy....

Hi , anyone used peel ply with epoxy, how easy or difficult is it to remove once the epoxy has cured, and does it save much sanding when prepping for painting...would hate it not to peel off correctly and have to sand the whole lot off ...
delcrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2014, 10:50   #2

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Peel ply...how difficult /easy....

I use it with West System epoxy. Peels off easily after curing, and saves a huge amount of time in finishing. Leaves a surface that requires a lot less sanding. Also helps contain structure/shape of the epoxy job if gravity is working against you.
Old 19-11-2014, 11:03   #3

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch

I used heavy mill plastic great help to smooth out and hold against gravity. I didn't let it harden all the way though. Not sure it would come off if I did.
ctl411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2014, 11:10   #4

I found peel ply comes off easily, saves loads of sanding. Use polyester taffeta.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2014, 12:25   #5

Boat: 40' Wharram cat, 30' Outrigger Canoe

I'm a convert to peel-ply. Only used it a couple of times so far, and would use it again for surfaces requiring painting or secondary bonding. On removal, the peel ply takes the greasy "amine blush" with it. Also useful for holding or pulling wet glass around edges/small radius. Because there is virtually no sanding required, the risk of rubbing through the glass is greatly reduced. Reduces the amount of resin required.

It has to be done right otherwise you can be left with more work than no peel-ply at all. If working alone roll the dry peel-ply onto a cardboard tube, stick the free end down to one end of the wet glass area and unroll. Use a squeegee to gently press onto the wet glass, taking care not to stretch the peel-ply too much, but enough to avoid wrinkles.
Apply more resin over and through the peel-ply with squeegee to wet it out, and to ensure weave of glass is filled. The dry areas visible in the photo are a good illustration of not quite enough resin, so don't run out of epoxy . Leave an edge of peel-ply standing somewhere so you have something to get hold of when time comes to peel it off.

A fabric retailer in Australia was selling the stuff as "Polysilky", commonly used for lining jackets. Cheaper than the stuff from the fibreglass suppliers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	peel ply resin starved.jpg
Views:	508
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	91977  
muddyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2014, 13:08   #6

Boat: Seafarer36c

You don't need to get fancy with fabric you use either. !00% polyester from the fabric store. Leave plenty of overhang so you can get a good grip on it.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2014, 13:49   #7

I've used peel ply when vacuum bagging. Never thought to use it when just wetting out cloth. This was done using epoxy as a resin. Peel ply bought from fiberglass stores works really well. It pull right up.

I found that the cheap stuff in fabric stores does not come off as easily, but it will come off. I've also used batting from fabric stores instead of "breather cloth". The cheap stuff left a pattern in the glass after hardening. I prefer to use the products sold for the purpose rather than cutting corners on price.
gbgreen59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2014, 14:07   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbgreen59 View Post
I found that the cheap stuff in fabric stores does not come off as easily, but it will come off. I've also used batting from fabric stores instead of "breather cloth". The cheap stuff left a pattern in the glass after hardening. I prefer to use the products sold for the purpose rather than cutting corners on price.
They have resin in every boat store I've ever been into. I have never seen proper peel ply in a boat store. Sometimes you have to get by and not all fabric at the fabric store is equal. Some work better than others.
Old 19-11-2014, 14:36   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
They have resin in every boat store I've ever been into. I have never seen proper peel ply in a boat store. Sometimes you have to get by and not all fabric at the fabric store is equal. Some work better than others.

Good point...just wanted to relay my experiences...gbg
gbgreen59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2014, 15:04   #10

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

It's impossible to buy peel ply where I am, forcing me to try different materials purchased from a haberdashery when I've used it for vacuum bagging. I've tried a few different fabrics and found taffeta to be the best. Many fine weave monofilament synthetic fabrics seem to work (another being rip-stop nylon) but you need to check that the fabric is strong enough to be peeled as some tear during the peeling process which is a bit of a pain. I've also substituted shade cloth as a breather fabric with success.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2014, 15:22   #11

+1 for polyester fabric, specifically dress lining. Also burlap is good for cheap bleeder when bagging/
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2014, 15:30   #12

Boat: Island Packet 32 Keel/CB

The peel ply that I am familiar with leaves a textured surface which is good for subsequent bonding. If you want a smooth finish just use some 4 or 6 mil visqueen. As others have said it is a great help for milking the resin/fabric into the desirable shape. Just hold it in place with masking tape. Initially the epoxy will stick to the visqueen but once it cures will peel off easily. Mix up a small test strip and don’t try it with polyester.

Frankly
Frankly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2014, 15:43   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
+1 for polyester fabric, specifically dress lining./
Oh yeah? I like nurse uniform fabric.
Old 19-11-2014, 18:36   #14

Boat: WALLER MKII CAT 11M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
It's impossible to buy peel ply where I am, forcing me to try different materials purchased from a haberdashery when I've used it for vacuum bagging. I've tried a few different fabrics and found taffeta to be the best. Many fine weave monofilament synthetic fabrics seem to work (another being rip-stop nylon) but you need to check that the fabric is strong enough to be peeled as some tear during the peeling process which is a bit of a pain. I've also substituted shade cloth as a breather fabric with success.
Thanks for all the replies, going to try a test run of of fabric shop taffeta, let you know how it goes
delcrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2014, 22:02   #15

Boat: Egan 12.40, Carter 33, Seawind 24

I usually leave "dog ears" at corners at overlaps to assist starting removal, it also helps to trim off the "selvedge" as peely ply seems to pucker a little beside it, also trim the width to make more manageable, a few lap marks are less work to get out than puckering to a compound surface.
Jeff.
waikikin is offline   Reply With Quote