Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2016, 10:15   #1

Boat: 1969 Pearson 35 #113
Pearson 35 engine controls

We have a 1969 Pearson 35 with the engine controls (especially the throttle) deep in the bottom of the cockpit. I nearly have to be on my knees to operate the controls and it makes manoeuvering in our congested harbour rather more exciting than it needs to be.

Does anyone have any suggestions for relocating the controls to a more convenient location.?

Edson sells a pedestal conversion kit which will place both engine controls right below the binnacle and they have one version with a long-throw shift lever, suitable for our Atomic 4 transmission. Unfortunately, they only offer it in the 4.5" pedestal size. The pedestal on our boat is the 6" diameter size and apparently Edson does not make the combination that we need.
I am having a longer lever for our existing shifter made and that will help with that function, but the throttle is still the main problem.

Has anybody already tackled this problem?
rskene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 10:28   #2

Re: Pearson 35 engine controls

I certainly would think shift controls for the larger type pedestal would be available? Or is that an oddball size? I could also certainly see adaptors being made by the mechanically inclined. I have also seen after market , single lever shifters mounted to the pedestal, albeit a bit less pretty than the built in types.
Check Ebay?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 17:00   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Switched over to a single handle control from the separate throttle and shifter the boat came with. Makes it a lot easier to use the engine as I practically had to turn 180 degrees to get to the throttle when standing at the wheel. Now controls are down by my leg when standing at the wheel. Still have to bend over unless I use my foot which I've done at times. Don't know why Pearson went with separate shift and throttle controls when the Morse dual handle controls were available.

Actually should say when I'm standing at the tiller. Tossed the wheel and converted to a tiller. Way way easier to control the boat.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 19:47   #4

Boat: 1969 Pearson 35 #113

Thanks for the replies. The problem seems to be the transmission attached to the Atomic 4. It has a band-type reverse that requires a fairly long throw and quite a bit of force to engage. Most engine controls, especially single-lever types, won't work with it.
As I mentioned, Edson does make a conversion kit specifically for the A4 but they only offer it with the more common 4.5" binnacle. My boat has the larger 6" binnacle. I have some documentation from Edson that makes reference to Engine controls part number: 816-6, which would be for the A4 and the 6" binnacle but I guess they don't make it any more.
Unless I can come up with a better plan, I think I will buy the Edson kit for the 6" binnacle and just use the throttle control. I am having a longer handle made for the existing shifter that will let me operate it while standing at the wheel. As long as I can also operate the throttle with out having to stand on my head in the cockpit, I will be good to go.
rskene is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, pearson