Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2013, 07:15   #1

Pearson 26 Mast Support

Hello, all...

Well, the saga continues.. just when I thought I was almost done working/renovating my new-to-me 1972 P26 and could actually launch and start learning to sail....

After a couple generally enjoyable weekends of fixing seams, cracks, and a slightly pitted keel, then bottom painting, compounding and waxing the topsides, rebuilding the bottom half of the 8hp sailmaster, cleaning, etc., I packed up my gear and prepared to start the 90 minute journey home again over the road. Before I left, something I had been chewing on over the past few months since I bought the bought made me go back inside the boat and check something.

What was that, you might ask? ...

Well, the previous owner had replaced the stock door to the head and v-berth area with an accordian-fold fabric curtain. That always bothered me; why do that? It affords less privacy, and, at least to my eyes, doesn't look near as nice as the stock door does in pictures of other boats I've seen. The only thing I could figure was it gave him easier access to the hanging locker, or maybe he thought it made the cabin look roomier. OR... and this is what started bothering me recently... maybe the door stuck and, instead of fixing the problem, he just took it out and threw up a curtain.

Turns out the answer was ... (DING)... the latter. The crossbeam is completely rotted; a 3" pocket knife went in up to the hilt w/ almost no pressure. There's a hole drilled right where the rot is the worst and a thick wire is routed through it; I think it's the antenna wire. That may be the original cause.. who knows.

Does anyone have an experience with this repair on a P26? The vertical posts on either side of the crossbeam seem to be solid, but do not appear to be anchored onto the sole in any way. To my admittedly non-engineer eyeballs, the would seem to be very structural in purpose, are they not?

Any pics this part of a p26 in good condition available anywhere? I've searched quite a bit.. hours and hours.. trying to find specific information about this problem. Dan Pfeiffer's site, this community, SailNet, sailboatowners, Don Casey's books, and Google in general, but am striking out.

Any and all advice, ideas, and offers to help would be gratefully and greatly welcomed. Experienced craftsmen in the upstate NY area willing to do or help with the work would be cheerfully financially compensated.

Best to all,

Barry
bblument is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2013, 08:55   #2

Boat: S&S Catalina 38
Re: Pearson 26 Mast Support

I have been fixing up a 1970 p26 myself, and had a similar issue with the door to the head not closing. Apparently this is pretty common on this boat, but is usually caused by the wooden wedge under the port side post rotting out, leaving the post unsupported. the posts on both sides are bolted to the bulkheads, on mine the bolts on the port side were bent about 15 degrees. I replaced the wedge with 2 of those samples of corian that I got at Home Depot, glassed them in, and replaced the bolts.

I am not sure, but think you need to remove the mast step to get the crossmember out. once you have it out it should be a simple process to make a new one out of your favorite hardwood. you are correct that this is a very structural piece of the boat. All of the mast loads are carried to the hull through the crossmember and posts. One thing I woud chek is the condition of the cabin top. If it has been leaking long enough for the crossmember to rot, I would bet that the core of the cabin top has rotted as well.
tsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 14:31   #3

Boat: 26 Pearson
Re: Pearson 26 Mast Support

Hi Barry,
I just came across your post. I assume that you have made the repair by this time. How did it work out for you? I had the same problem on my 26 pearson. While it took a little time and some elbow grease it was not a terribly difficult fix.

Bill
redpaddle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast, pearson