Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2014, 15:41   #91

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Payload for Small Boat Cruising?

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
BTW, someone asked up thread my motive . . . . It is two fold:

1. As some of you will know, we have Hawk, our "expedition boat", on the market because due to various "life situations" we will not be able to stretch her legs for perhaps a decade. A possibility in replacing her is to get something much smaller. I would prefer it be at the modern/faster end of the spectrum, as I think I would be bored quite quickly with a channel cutter. But I would like to be able to bop out to Bermuda and Newfoundland and perhaps the Azores if I wanted to. So the personal question is whether something like an erickson 30 is the most fun/interesting thing that will fit this purpose or whether I could use one of the more modern more interesting pogo or presto type style boats. Ability to carry a 'Seaman like" payload is a significant factor in that decision.

2. I personally think that while my generation was lucky enough to be able to build "battleship" cruising boats, that the next generations are going to be faced with big school debt and less attractive career prospects and so are going to return to the smaller boat cruising that was common in the 60's thru 80's. The racing community has already basically gone thru this, moving down from "big boats" to melges 32/24 and j70 sort of boats. And because people ask for my opinion ocasionally, I would like to be better educated and informed on small boat cruising, and payload discussion seemed to be one way to approach that educational task.
I would avoid small mono cruising if at all possible. This has nothing at all going for it -- even if you are able to go ultralight, you're still going to be slow as molasses and will just bob around out there. If you must go with a small boat, I would do a small, cheap 'n cheerful cat. That way, if you can manage to go ultralight (much lighter than your budget), at least you'll be fast, and can have some fun sailing. Preferably a tri (love those Dragonflies, but I guess that's not a budget option).

If you're going to be sailing weekends and the occasional week, and you live not too far from the boat, you might get away with it. For those of us who live on board, roam far from home, don't have land accommodation close to the boat -- nothing beats a large mono, which is the only way to make a decent number of miles a day while carrying your whole household with you, including a decent inventory of spares and materials (not in your budget), a decent tender (ditto), decent food reserves (ditto), and the myriad other things needed for normal human life in semi-autonomous circumstances.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2014, 15:47   #92

Yeah, I moved down to a Contessa 26 once. Pretty little thing... but so damn slow and wet I just couldn't stand it. Maybe the OP needs to go for length and minimal beam. I think of a BCC as fast myself.... but I guess it's all about waterline ... and they are almost all waterline....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2014, 15:50   #93

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: Payload for small boat cruising?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Like English statute miles, the only measurement used on UK roads? Not a kilometer in sight, nor any km/h . . .
You have to be kidding? 5280' as I recall. I've grown up with it. It is asinine.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2014, 16:33   #94

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I would avoid small mono cruising if at all possible. This has nothing at all going for it -- even if you are able to go ultralight, you're still going to be slow as molasses and will just bob around out there. If you must go with a small boat, I would do a small, cheap 'n cheerful cat. That way, if you can manage to go ultralight (much lighter than your budget), at least you'll be fast, and can have some fun sailing. Preferably a tri (love those Dragonflies, but I guess that's not a budget option).
It does not seem slow to me and those boats have a dingy garage that will take the dinghy in (fully inflated). One of them, the Mojito was elected 2015 boat of the year by one of the main French sailing magazines. I made recently a post about the Mojito on my blog.

Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2014, 16:33   #95

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
You have to be kidding? 5280' as I recall. I've grown up with it. It is asinine.
Not kidding -- there is no kilometer or kilometer per hour anywhere to be seen in the UK. The English are purer than than the Canadians by far. Miles, miles per hour, period. The Eurocrats in Brussels must have periodic conniption didos over this.
Old 17-10-2014, 16:36   #96

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
It does not seem slow to me and those boats have a dingy garage that will take the dinghy in (fully inflated). One of them, the Mojito was elected 2015 boat of the year by one of the main French sailing magazines. I made recently a post about the Mojito on my blog.

"It" is what? I can't see the videos as I am on board without high speed internet.

Waterline length is a bitch -- a rude law of physics.
Old 17-10-2014, 16:45   #97

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
That's a very quick pair of boats, but I would not be game to go even coastal hopping with something like that. I might be showing my ignorance, but they look very light and tippy to me, particularly the first one.

Matt
Old 17-10-2014, 16:51   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
2. I personally think that while my generation was lucky enough to be able to build "battleship" cruising boats, that the next generations are going to be faced with big school debt and less attractive career prospects and so are going to return to the smaller boat cruising that was common in the 60's thru 80's. The racing community has already basically gone thru this, moving down from "big boats" to melges 32/24 and j70 sort of boats.
Another factor along the lines of what you are suggesting here, is the cost of keeping the bigger boats becomes prohibitive.

Here in this corner of Oz if I had a 35 footer instead of a 42 footer I could afford to buy a pen outright for the boat. As it is, I have to rent a pen. Regardless of which is the better financial strategy in the long run (rent vs buy), the size of the boat means I don't have a choice.

Matt
Old 17-10-2014, 17:04   #99

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
If we switch to kilometers how are we supposed to drag race? Hey you want to race .6 kilometers or is it .4? Oh hey lets just change it to 1/2 a kilometer. I think John Force would murder you for screwing with his sport.

How do people drag race in kilometer land? Oh by the way in imperial land our gas is cheaper.
Old 17-10-2014, 17:06   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontherocks83 View Post

How do people drag race in kilometer land?.

Funny you should mention that. I think it is still a quarter mile?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 17-10-2014, 17:19   #101

Boat: Catalina 30

See like I said earlier the world bends to our way. We dont need to change anything
Old 17-10-2014, 18:25   #102

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
That's a very quick pair of boats, but I would not be game to go even coastal hopping with something like that. I might be showing my ignorance, but they look very light and tippy to me, particularly the first one.

Matt
The hull and rig of the two boats are identical, only the cabin is different.

No, you are way out. Those are very seaworthy boats for their size. They are based (in what regards hull design) on mini-racers that are offshore racers, used on Transat solo races. These boats, that are bigger than minis, will not only have any problem regarding coastal cruising as they will not have any problem crossing the Atlantic on the right season. In fact one of those is making the Transquadra, a famous French Transat for non professional sailors with at least 40 year of age (solo or duo).

The first leg to Madeira was already accomplished and even if the boat was sailed far from its potential (their IRC classification was not good) they have made an average of 6.8K speed. The next leg to Martinique will take place at the end of January.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2014, 18:32   #103

I can't find any specs on them...? Displacement etc. Are they the Compromis 888? Every picture I can find of one for sale looks different to those two.

Scrub that... I think I found them. Less than 3 tons unladen? Seems very light for open water, but I am a little conservative I guess.

Matt
Old 17-10-2014, 18:36   #104

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Funny you should mention that. I think it is still a quarter mile?

"
The Australian National Drag Racing Association (ANDRA) board has approved the use of shorter racing distances including eighth mile (201.1 metres) and 1000 feet (304.8 metres) for championship racing.
The change will allow the use of more facilities throughout Australia that have been designed for shorter distances, while tracks with adequate length and safety for the traditional quarter mile (402.2 metres) format will still run that distance."
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2014, 18:43   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post

"
The Australian National Drag Racing Association (ANDRA) board has approved the use of shorter racing distances including eighth mile (201.1 metres) and 1000 feet (304.8 metres) for championship racing.
The change will allow the use of more facilities throughout Australia that have been designed for shorter distances, while tracks with adequate length and safety for the traditional quarter mile (402.2 metres) format will still run that distance."
Ah, that's a relief, my Triton ute probably wouldn't last a full quarter mile if I planted the foot.

Matt

Tags
cruising, loa