Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2016, 12:09   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Panel Fasteners?

My boat has five powder-coated alu panels at the nav table, in which my radios and switchgear and instruments are mounted. Behind them is a lot of electronic equipment, droppers, buses, circuit breakers, and other things which need access not all that rarely.

Unfortunately, these panels are attached with simple screws into the wooden frames. This is first of all a PITA to get a screwdriver and unscrew them every time, and second, after opening and closing these panels a few hundred times of course the threads in the wood get worn. In general this just seems like a really poor way to attach these panels.

So I have a dream of replacing these screws with some kind of aerospace panel fasteners, or some kind of quarter turn fasteners, where I could set one part of the fastener permanently in the wood.

But I just can't seem to find the suitable bits. Anyone have any tips or advice?
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 12:18   #2
Zai

Boat: 2011 Bavaria 36 Cruiser
Re: Panel Fasteners?

try this link. Is this the sort of thing you are looking for?
DZUS® Turn-To-Close, Turn-To-Open Quarter Turn Fasteners - Southco
Zai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 12:18   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

ummm . . . . here is a UK company (very like the above post but UK) . . . .Quarter Turn Fasteners

I have never used these specific ones. They are just what came up first on google. I presume you have already looked at them - might help us if you say what you did not like about them?
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 12:26   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zai View Post
try this link. Is this the sort of thing you are looking for?
DZUS® Turn-To-Close, Turn-To-Open Quarter Turn Fasteners - Southco
Yep, that was my first thought too. The good old Dzus fasteners.

dzus fasteners | eBay

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 12:27   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Dockhead:

Have you considered a piano hinge at the bottom or side (if there's swinging room)and "rabbit hutch" fasteners [looks a bit like a finger screw with flange that swings to overlap the top of the panel] for the top?

Ann
Old 09-01-2016, 12:32   #6
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
My boat has five powder-coated alu panels at the nav table, in which my radios and switchgear and instruments are mounted. Behind them is a lot of electronic equipment, droppers, buses, circuit breakers, and other things which need access not all that rarely.

Unfortunately, these panels are attached with simple screws into the wooden frames. This is first of all a PITA to get a screwdriver and unscrew them every time, and second, after opening and closing these panels a few hundred times of course the threads in the wood get worn. In general this just seems like a really poor way to attach these panels.

So I have a dream of replacing these screws with some kind of aerospace panel fasteners, or some kind of quarter turn fasteners, where I could set one part of the fastener permanently in the wood.

But I just can't seem to find the suitable bits. Anyone have any tips or advice?
You might also consider 3M Dual Lock. Totally unlike Velcro and designed for this sort of application. Perhaps not this particular application (no pics) but similar things. 1000 cycles and no residue when removed.
Old 09-01-2016, 13:20   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
ummm . . . . here is a UK company (very like the above post but UK) . . . .Quarter Turn Fasteners

I have never used these specific ones. They are just what came up first on google. I presume you have already looked at them - might help us if you say what you did not like about them?
That's very much what I want, but the problem with these and all others I've found is that they are for sheet metal. I need something which has receptacles which can be set in wood.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 09-01-2016, 13:24   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Yep, that was my first thought too. The good old Dzus fasteners.

dzus fasteners | eBay
Thanks, hot tip! Looks like the receptacle part might be wide enough:

CRC Fairings | Dzus Fasteners (Pack of 20)
Walt Whitman
Old 09-01-2016, 14:36   #9

If you have the clearance in the backer plates, I have found thread inserts to be a great solution to striped out wood.

You still have to used machine screws to secure the front panel, so not as fast as Zues fastners. But a lot less work getting them installed.

Just enlarge the existing hole. Screw the insert in. Then replace the wood screws with machine screws.

missourisailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 14:49   #10

Location: On board Sarah, currently lying in Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Pearson, 424, 42', Sarah

I had the same problem with my electrical panel. I used barrel bolts to replace the wood screws. The panel swings on a piano hinge.

John
jstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 14:52   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

What I did on hawk is piano hinge on the bottom, and two (only one on the smaller panels) of these (Southco Adjustable Ball Catch) on the top. Worked well.

on the quarter turn fasteners - they do have sockets that work set in wood just fine - I would call them and ask - but I believe http://www.specialty-fasteners.co.uk...el-zinc-plated would do it . . . .http://www.specialty-fasteners.co.uk...nc-die-casting probably also would
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 15:06   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
What I did on hawk is piano hinge on the bottom, and two (only one on the smaller panels) of these (Southco Adjustable Ball Catch) on the top. Worked well.

on the quarter turn fasteners - they do have sockets that work set in wood just fine - I would call them and ask - but I believe 2600 / 2700 SERIES (TYPE 1 ) CAST RECEPTACLE hard bronze ZINC PLATED 2.5 holes - V212-12-1FGV from Specialty Fasteners & Components would do it . . . .2600 / 2700 SERIES (TYPE 4 ) RECEPTACLE single hole mounting encapsulated zinc die casting - 99E10-01 from Specialty Fasteners & Components probably also would
That's the ticket!! Thanks!!!!
Walt Whitman