Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2016, 19:40   #1

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch
Painting topside and bottom in Mexico - more expensive than USA?!

Got a quote to paint our bottom. It's got Proline 1088 on it, which is a vinyl hard paint. They want to sand and paint the bottom for $2400, not counting haulout and yard fees! We paid less than this to get the bottom done in Long Beach! This is Star Marina in San Carlos. Boat is a 50' ketch with a 37.7' waterline. I've been trying to research Proline 1088 but it may not be available anymore, they want to put Interspeed 640 on, not sure if this is vinyl and compatible or if they plan on sanding all the old stuff off, still trying to get clarification.

Our topside paint is awl grip, and the nonskid on the starboard side, outside the cockpit, is starting to come off in large flakes (1"-2"). They want a little over $10k to sand/prep/paint awlgrip for the whole topside.

These prices seem way high to me, after hearing about so many boats that come down here for paint.

We're currently in La Paz, getting our main mast, main boom, and mizzen mast painted. They sanded them all to bare metal, filled all the holes (54 holes in the boom!), a zinc primer, a white primer, and 2 coats of paint (all interlux), for $1500. So not sure why we're getting such crazy high quotes from San Carlos/Guaymas area, unless we're asking the wrong people, or we need to look elsewhere in Mexico!?

Does anybody have any recent experience with topside or bottom paint in Mexico? Or experience with Proline 1088?
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 07:58   #2
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Painting topside and bottom in Mexico - more expensive than USA?!

your pricing reflects types of boats frequenting the area.
try guaymas for cheaper than san carlos.
shop around.
be prepared to speak spanish.
have fun.
shazam just got a tri painted and hauled for a week in la cruz arranged with peter, the rigger, for 6000 pesos for a weekś working.
MUST negotiate and shop around. same yard quoted me 3500 usd...gag.

oh, have you tried comex for paint?? they are spozed to carry what we need, per the rep after patricia.....i will be using comex paint. we can do side by side testing for durability.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 08:30   #3

Boat: Norseman 400

Sorry J, can't help you. Don't know a reliable painting source in Mexico. We did our own bottom prep and paint in Astoria for about $2,600. And we were allowed to live on board while we were working on it. But, dinner at the Portway Tavern after work make the experience tolerable. They have 5-star food. And they're a pub! The best halibut we've ever had in a restaurant. And the Prime Rib is amazing also. Okay, back to task...

Why don't you wait until Disc, Sham, and Pura are all in San Carlos for hurricane season, buy everyone a sander, paint rollers -- and plenty of beer - and make a party out of it. Haha. Just kidding. We don't really want to help you paint your boat.

Good luck! And hurry up and head north, will ya?!

C&J
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hull Paint Cost.JPG
Views:	207
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	124447  
Sailor647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 09:28   #4

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

LOL, I don't want to help me paint the boat. I'll do electrical, plumbing, rigging, anything but paint!

We're leaving as soon as we get our masts finished and the boat re-rigged! Hopefully Thursday if we're really lucky. We've got a good solid day of cleaning to do after they're finished as well!

I'm off today to get my fishing reels re-rigged for some hard core yellowtail fishing when we get up towards santa rosalia! excited about that!

We're going to get a quote from the guy who's painting our masts to paint the decks, to see how it compares.
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 10:02   #5
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

mazatlan has folks i trust.
is why i am summering here and until repairs done.
sounds like you are having all the fishing fun!

life is an adventure meant to be LIVED!!!
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Mexico, paint