Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2018, 19:30   #1

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Painting the yacht

Some moths ago I tried painting the yacht using the "roll and tip" method (on my own) and it was a disaster. I shared my sad experience with another person on a different forum and his experience was the same as mine. He said he spoke to a professional painter who told him he would never use the "roll and tip" unless it was thinned 30%. Thirty percent!!

Yesterday I got a mate in to spray the yacht for me using a "high pressure pot spray gun". The result is a vast improvement but certainly not perfect as there are runs and the paint is a bit "orange peely" in places. But I figure no one will notice when I'm at sea and I bet there will be many reflections on the paint-work when the yacht is penned so imperfections would not be noticeable.

When I was buying the paint from the manufacturer I related my sad experience of "rolling and tipping" to the guy behind the counter and he pointed out there a three types of "Part B Hardener" - normal, slow and ultra-slow. That will be the way I go next time using a slow hardener as I won't be allowed to use a spray-gun in a marina.

Clive
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 21:13   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Painting the yacht

Hi, Clive,

We had some friends with a 43 foot steelie, and they used to paint her at anchor, using rollers and latex house paint. It was orange peely up close, but looked good from a distance. When you look at the costs for painting the whole boat, it's pretty scary.

Ann
Old 07-12-2018, 21:25   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
Some moths ago I tried painting the yacht using the "roll and tip" method (on my own) and it was a disaster. I shared my sad experience with another person on a different forum and his experience was the same as mine. He said he spoke to a professional painter who told him he would never use the "roll and tip" unless it was thinned 30%. Thirty percent!!

Yesterday I got a mate in to spray the yacht for me using a "high pressure pot spray gun". The result is a vast improvement but certainly not perfect as there are runs and the paint is a bit "orange peely" in places. But I figure no one will notice when I'm at sea and I bet there will be many reflections on the paint-work when the yacht is penned so imperfections would not be noticeable.

When I was buying the paint from the manufacturer I related my sad experience of "rolling and tipping" to the guy behind the counter and he pointed out there a three types of "Part B Hardener" - normal, slow and ultra-slow. That will be the way I go next time using a slow hardener as I won't be allowed to use a spray-gun in a marina.

Clive
I have never used two-part polyurethanes paints as "roll and tip" but I have used the single part versions. The results were as close to perfect as I could have hoped for. Just a little practice and it's perfect.

Surface prep should take 10 times as long (at least) as the actual painting if you really want a good surface. The more successful you are at getting a smooth and shiny finish with the paint, the worse it will look if your surface prep was half-baked.

If your mate got orange peel and runs, he does not know what he is doing with a spray gun and is applying much too thick a coat.

I hope you and your "mate" know and understand the VERY serious breathing protections NEEDED when spray polyurethane paint. Very few amateurs have the kind of pressurized air supply respirators that are required for these chemicals. Hardware store respirators are NOT good enough to protect your health.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 21:31   #4

QUOTE If your mate got orange peel and runs, he does not know what he is doing with a spray gun and is applying much too thick a coat.

I hope you and your "mate" know and understand the VERY serious breathing protections QUOTE

Well my mate does know what he is doing. He told me from the start the pressure pot spray outfit (that I bought on eBay) was fine but it needed a finer jet as it was spraying too much paint. (I live in the country so I must make do with what I have available)
Old 07-12-2018, 21:43   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Hi, Clive,

We had some friends with a 43 foot steelie, and they used to paint her at anchor, using rollers and latex house paint. It was orange peely up close, but looked good from a distance. When you look at the costs for painting the whole boat, it's pretty scary.

Ann

Just wondering if I removed the "runs" and then touched up the area using the "roll and tip" method would I make matters worse? I wonder if anyone else has an opinion?

What I am finding is that an imperfection that I can see now disappears as the sun rotates from East to West. I guess it looks alright if you don't inspect it carefully.

Here is a shot taken just seconds ago.

Clive
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1529.jpg
Views:	487
Size:	431.4 KB
ID:	181830   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1536.jpg
Views:	495
Size:	405.4 KB
ID:	181831  

Name:	IMG_1538.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	437.4 KB
ID:	181833  
Old 07-12-2018, 21:57   #6

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
What I am finding is that an imperfection that I can see now disappears as the sun rotates from East to West. I guess it looks alright if you don't inspect it carefully.
Yeah, I call this the "20-foot rule" (or perhaps the 6-meter rule, depending on which part of the world you're in....). Your boat looks great in those pics
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 22:14   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
Yeah, I call this the "20-foot rule" (or perhaps the 6-meter rule, depending on which part of the world you're in....). Your boat looks great in those pics

Thank you gamayun that is most encouraging!
I really think I have more important things to do at this stage like finishing off the steering

Clive
Old 07-12-2018, 23:01   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

I’ve helped paint several small boats and had terrible results using roll and tip. Turns out the trick is don’t tip it! Just roll.
Buy the book on painting from Port Townsend Watercraft and follow the instructions. They say to use Interlux Perfection and thin it 15%. It really works.
The book is only a few bucks to down load. E-Books
Old 08-12-2018, 00:36   #9

Hopcar

Thanks for that.

I've read a couple of other posts by people who used Interlux Perfection and they swear by it.. Something to keep in mind but I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that I should treat the paint job as finished........and move on to other jobs.

You don't know the name of that book do you (Actual title)?

Clive
Old 08-12-2018, 01:13   #10

Boat: Volkscruiser

Sounds like your gun has a 3mm tip? I would just leave the runs, touching them up by hand will only make them look worse.
If you really fussy you could block all the runs out, lightly sand the hull with 400 grit and spray her again. Maybe this time buy a gun with a 1.2mm tip, Super Cheap Auto has some cheap guns......
When I spray painted our new yacht I forgot to check I had spraying thinners. So I ended up using gun wash. There is heaps of orange peel on the hull, but standing on the deck I never notice it!
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 01:42   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

i have some friends who had a similar problem with a poor paint job,on a ferro boat that also had imperfections in the hull surface fairing.

their solution after painting with white was to randomly "sponge paint"with a further 3 colours,the results were fantastic and hid all the imperfections,to create a very unique and lively paint job,that would not be out of place on a modern racing yacht.

unfortunatly i don't have a photo,but here is a video of the technique.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sponge_splotch_canvas_print-r5fd0b1fcc4e84d5a805896d62ddd33d4_2uuq_8byvr_307.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	181836  
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 01:53   #12

Fore and Aft

You are spot on.

*Paint Tank Capacity : 10 Litres
*Type of Feed : Suction
*Standard Dia of Nozzle :3.5mm
*Set The distance from the gun to the work piece as near as possible within the range of 200mm-250mm(8-10 in)
*Weight:10KG

QUOTE Maybe this time buy a gun with a 1.2mm tip, Super Cheap Auto has some cheap guns......QUOTE

Can't I just buy a 1.2mm nozzle for the gun?

Clive
Old 08-12-2018, 01:58   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
i have some friends who had a similar problem with a poor paint job,on a ferro boat that also had imperfections in the hull surface fairing.

their solution after painting with white was to randomly "sponge paint"with a further 3 colours,the results were fantastic and hid all the imperfections,to create a very unique and lively paint job,that would not be out of place on a modern racing yacht.

unfortunatly i don't have a photo,but here is a video of the technique.

Actually I am very pleased with the fairing I did as there are only two quite small indentations that I can see on the hull. And those two/three I can only see when the sun is at a certain angle.

Just about all the perfections are in the paint job.

Clive
Old 08-12-2018, 02:10   #14

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

My Jim talked to me about the "car painting syndrome", where for show cars, one wants "perfect" paint jobs. For boats, it is not so much so, none of those "15 coats of hand rubbed lacquer". The UV's gonna get to it, and it will at some point no longer be perfect. Paint is fragile, compared to gelcoat.

Ann
Old 08-12-2018, 03:05   #15

Boat: Volkscruiser

You cannot just replace the needle as it will not bed the same on the end cap. Not to mention the all the mechanics holding the needle might be different. You might get lucky and be able to buy a new hand piece and just unscrew the hoses from your old gun.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint, yacht