Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2018, 06:58   #91
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32
Re: Painting the yacht

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnhad View Post
Before someone thinks that roll and tip won't give you a sprayed on look...
I took me 6 coats of high fill sanding primer before I couldn't feel any imperfections in the primer coat on our Nicholson 33...it is NOT what you can see it is what your hand feels with your eyes closed...
We used Imron 2 part and a lot of thinner but it still took three coats of rolling and tipping with a roller, NOT a brush, before we got the right amount of Florida winter heat to kick off the finish without any blush...having the bow pointing to the south allowed both sides of the boat to get the same amount of solar gain during the day. I could shave in the reflection of the hull...
Just another mention of the 3M Guide Coat product as a sanding guide. Large carbon powder puff that easily shows up imperfections. You sand the black stuff off until it's gone and then rinse the sanding residue off. It saves a lot of guesswork.
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2018, 06:18   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuW View Post
Just another mention of the 3M Guide Coat product as a sanding guide. Large carbon powder puff that easily shows up imperfections. You sand the black stuff off until it's gone and then rinse the sanding residue off. It saves a lot of guesswork.
I hope this is not misplaced. I spent a lot of time prepping the top sides of my SC28 which had been painted white some years ago but suffered from a severe case of 'acne', thousands of small, hollow pimples. Well, I sprayed a coat of single part urethane over a urethane primer and it looked pretty good. That was a month ago. A couple of days ago I noticed the pox has returned in the form of tiny, as yet at least, pimples.
Weather had been dry when I applied the paint, boat has been out of the water and under cover for years.
Any thoughts on causes and possible remedies?
Rod B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2018, 14:57   #93

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Sorry, I can't help you but there is a fair bit on the 'Net. Here is just one article.

Get Rid of your Pinhole Problem in 4 Simple Steps -

https://www.aic-coatings.com/get-rid-pinhole-problem-4-simple-steps/
Nov 1, 2013 - Contamination is the number one cause of pinholes, and most of the time, it's the air quality that you'll want to pay attention to. The big three sources of pinhole-causing contamination are moisture, particulates, and oil.

Clive
coopec43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2018, 19:25   #94
SuW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod B View Post
I hope this is not misplaced. I spent a lot of time prepping the top sides of my SC28 which had been painted white some years ago but suffered from a severe case of 'acne', thousands of small, hollow pimples. Well, I sprayed a coat of single part urethane over a urethane primer and it looked pretty good. That was a month ago. A couple of days ago I noticed the pox has returned in the form of tiny, as yet at least, pimples.
Weather had been dry when I applied the paint, boat has been out of the water and under cover for years.
Any thoughts on causes and possible remedies?
Hmm...I'd suspect solvent entrapment in the bubbles. The spray went over the whole surface and it goes nice and flat quite quickly, but the paint in the pits didn't dry out as it was too thick. What happens if you prick the bubble or knock the top off?

How big were these holes? (Width/depth) Circular?

I'm not sure why the holes appeared before. I think the bumps have to be sanded off and filled with some kind of fairing compound and paint again.
Old 26-12-2018, 08:28   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuW View Post
Hmm...I'd suspect solvent entrapment in the bubbles. The spray went over the whole surface and it goes nice and flat quite quickly, but the paint in the pits didn't dry out as it was too thick. What happens if you prick the bubble or knock the top off?

How big were these holes? (Width/depth) Circular?

I'm not sure why the holes appeared before. I think the bumps have to be sanded off and filled with some kind of fairing compound and paint again.
Thanks for the info folks, sort of confirming my suspicions that there was an issue with the air supply, lots more sanding ahead for 2019. [emoji13]
Rod B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2018, 09:38   #96
SuW

Yeah, this kind of topside paint doesn't cover any underlying irregularities in the surface. If applied incorrectly it can add more of them though!
Old 26-12-2018, 10:24   #97
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

If it is a not a labeled "oil free" compressor, it could easily be lube oil. And with any compressor, there can be condensate in the tank. Either one might result in micro-bubbles. Have you contacted the "paint" maker to ask if they have any specific ideas?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint, yacht