Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2018, 06:57   #76

Re: Painting the yacht

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
Interlux "Perfection" was good paint. Too bad they don't make it anymore. What other 2 part paints have a good rep for the roll and tip method?
"They" (AkzoNobel) are still making it. They are also still making Awlgrip - it's the same company. Both continue to be widely available in the US.
SparkyDorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2018, 07:46   #77

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Never heard so many excuses for accepting a crappy paint job.

There is a lot of of skill involved in applying a "yacht" finish as opposed to a "workboat" finish. If you take pride in your boat, particularly as a showcase for your level of craftsmanship, you will properly equip yourself and strive to master the techniques required. Paint jobs with runs, sags, orange peel, etc, or which lack brilliant gloss, are simply build-up coats, not final finishes.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2018, 07:53   #78
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

i have seen roll and tip disasters too. absolute disasters. agree that the paint must be thinned to do this. get the best roller you can buy. or just do it with the best brush you can afford. since it is a vertical surface you need very thin coats of paint.
Old 18-12-2018, 09:05   #79

My experience with roll and tip paint job was great. The boat was a 40 ft Angus Primrose design. I used INternational one part paint and had someone to help with all the shifting round scaffolding etc. spent many many days sanding, filling sanding again, filling again etc until the surface looked good. Then gave two coats of undercoat, lightly sanded again and did more filling and sanding. When the whole surface was satisfactory I diluted the Topcoat paint by 10% with the special "brushing additive" and started the final job with two helpers on a perfect day (dry, no wind, sunny). With three people working, one to apply the paint, one to lightly pass the brush tip (or pad) and the third to watch for the occasional drip forming and brush them out.
The next day we gave it a very light sanding and a second topcoat. The effect was very close to the gloss of a professional sprayed finish.
The reason that it works is that the surface tension of the paint tends to pull it flat as it is drying. I tried it on another boat, on the ugly old fiberglass galley fittings, using tow part white "porcelain finish" paint sold for renewing bathtubs. Again a lot of time was invested in preparing the surface and degreasing, filling imperfections etc. The paint was applied with a small foam roller and brushed off, the improvement was spectacular.
Thinning with about 10% of the correct thinners is key to getting a good finish.
valvanuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2018, 09:13   #80

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkyDorado View Post
"They" (AkzoNobel) are still making it. They are also still making Awlgrip - it's the same company. Both continue to be widely available in the US.
That would be fantastic! but the plant that was producing the "perfection" line of paints closed down. I've got that from a reputable source in the industry.

"perfection" also has not been in their catalogue for a while and cannot be found or ordered, (that's how I found out) from suppliers.

If I could order it, that would be great. I really like their 2-part paints
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2018, 10:11   #81
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Quote:
That would be fantastic! but the plant that was producing the "perfection" line of paints closed down. I've got that from a reputable source in the industry.

"perfection" also has not been in their catalogue for a while and cannot be found or ordered, (that's how I found out) from suppliers.

Hi pcmm, I'm not sure where you are, but both Defender and West Marine still have this product on their website. Presumably they only ship ground, though.

Sue.
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2018, 16:24   #82

Boat: S&S 40

For large areas use a pressure pot, gun with a 1.8mm nozzle.approx. 15psi fluid pressure and about 50 psi air pressure..
You can use the same gun for high build and polyurethanes.
Generally u have to sand the hig build withh 240 grit before applying the top coat.
When u apply the top coat its a bit more critical to have the correct mixture and settings.
Altex paints are very good all round.
I found International poliurethane dry too fast, especially in very hot conditions.
Thats when experience comes in.
Wattyl poliurethane is cheap but will chalk after a couple of years or so.
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2018, 16:29   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
Never heard so many excuses for accepting a crappy paint job.

There is a lot of of skill involved in applying a "yacht" finish as opposed to a "workboat" finish. If you take pride in your boat, particularly as a showcase for your level of craftsmanship, you will properly equip yourself and strive to master the techniques required. Paint jobs with runs, sags, orange peel, etc, or which lack brilliant gloss, are simply build-up coats, not final finishes.
Well said...totally agree......but not the common opinion I dare say.
Allied39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2018, 17:48   #84

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allied39 View Post
Well said...totally agree......but not the common opinion I dare say.

Well I'll go along with that!

I've now got the chance of getting a smooth, glass like finish before I put the final coats on. (But that is not a priority at this stage)

Clive
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2018, 19:32   #85

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuW View Post
Hi pcmm, I'm not sure where you are, but both Defender and West Marine still have this product on their website. Presumably they only ship ground, though.

Sue.
Interesting. Its not even on the website or in the catalogue Must be old stock.

I'm in Canada
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2018, 19:49   #86
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Quote:
Interesting. Its not even on the website or in the catalogue Must be old stock.

I'm in Canada
Yes, I tried to buy some more Perfection for my rowing shells and dinghy last summer from the Chandlery in Ottawa and was told that the company wasn't importing it to Canada anymore because of some regulatory approvals issue.

I ordered some from Defender for delivery to our mailbox in Ogdensburg, NY and there was no problem bringing it over the border.
I really like the paint, now I've got used to it...
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2018, 19:56   #87

Boat: Trapper 300

Anybody thought of trying different methods and rates of thinning on a sample until they found the right combination? Sounds like a plan to me.

I found when using the roll and tip method with a single part paint the ideal rate of thinning produced a mix that allowed surface tension to pull the brush marks out and leave a perfectly smooth wet/tacky surface. Also the brushing thinner is a different formulation than the spray thinner. I'm referring to Interlux Brightside one part polyurethane with type 333 brushing thinner. Must have a lower evaporation rate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	main.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	182462  
heron237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2018, 22:33   #88

Boat: Jeanneau SO DS 49

I'm sure the spray gun can use many nozzles from the same manufacturer. However if the result is runs and orange peel, the applicator is at fault. Too much in one spot too little in others. The bigger the nozzle the faster you apply it. Spraying requires serious skills. Roll and tip can look really nice but never as good as spraying. But if you do it yourself, roll and tip skills still need practice. You need to roll it evenly in 2 directions and tip it quickly before it dries. Too slow brush marks never flow out. Slower activators are a big help but fast application is mandatory.
SteveSadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2018, 03:48   #89

Before someone thinks that roll and tip won't give you a sprayed on look...
I took me 6 coats of high fill sanding primer before I couldn't feel any imperfections in the primer coat on our Nicholson 33...it is NOT what you can see it is what your hand feels with your eyes closed...
We used Imron 2 part and a lot of thinner but it still took three coats of rolling and tipping with a roller, NOT a brush, before we got the right amount of Florida winter heat to kick off the finish without any blush...having the bow pointing to the south allowed both sides of the boat to get the same amount of solar gain during the day. I could shave in the reflection of the hull...
burnhad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2018, 06:13   #90

Quote:

I'm sorry, buy your reputable source is incorrect. I don't know what the deal is in Canada, but for the rest of North America I can assure you that AkzoNobel continues to manufacture and distribute Interlux Perfection and Awlgrip linear polyurethane marine paints.
SparkyDorado is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint, yacht