Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2011, 13:08   #31

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler
Re: Painting the Hull Above the Water Line ?

refurbishers willing to work with gel coat aren't necessarily much different than paint...the prep is similar and there's nuances to the final coats with either.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 13:30   #32

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Re R&T painting:

The big problem that I encountered with Altec Elite Brushable was that the thinner ratio was really critical, and the stuff is so volatile that I found it was flashing off from the puddle in the roller tray extremely fast. Tried covering the tray and that helped, but after just a very few minutes (<5) the mixture had changed enough to start causing the brush marks to not flow out. During this time the weather was fine, warm but not hot, but breezy... bloody wind, never does what you want it to!

I'm sure that the pros have learned how to deal with this issue, but the solution escaped me. The result is that some areas on my deck and in my cockpit look fine, while other nearby spots look bad.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 02-05-2011, 16:38   #33

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
gel coat can absolutely be used post production...have a friend that has done several boats this manner and several finishing companies are offering this as an alternative to paint as repairs are easier. spray or roll...

(...)
Any link to relevant info - boat builder's, manufacturer's, painter's?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 20:21   #34

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Any link to relevant info - boat builder's, manufacturer's, painter's?

b.
Relavent info? Gel coat sprayed or rolled over a small area, med area or large area...what's the difference? There's even have spray guns where the hardener is mixed with the atomized gel coat

Some people are doing the entire hull rather than paint because future repairs are easier than trying to match spray paint for the average boater...at least in some people's opinions.

I'm debating using gel on my trawler's topsides rather than paint...what's your point?

Why is gel coat any different than paint?... other than it usually is applied in thicker coats....

Do you realize how many boats have had gel applied just by spraying it onto pieces of glassed over ply when making hatch covers, center consoles, etc..etc...??? Even entire cabin tops...
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 04:50   #35

There was an article in the March Gam sailing magazine about a couple that redid the entire hull and deck on a Bayfield 36 in Trinidad spraying gelcoat. My sailmaker also redid his whole catalina 30 a couple of years ago, it looks great but there is a lot of sanding and polishing involved to get it looking good.
digmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 05:28   #36

It looks like the thread has migrated more to the merits of post-production gelcoat than to the merits of color choices, but whatever/however you decide to apply, don't get talked into white over white. There is nothing, and I mean NOTHING, sexier than a boat with a dark blue hull.
CaptainDon3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 05:48   #37

Boat: C&C 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
gelcoat CAN be applied post production, but do NOT think is not bludi pricy---will cost more than $25000 for a 30 ft boat to be done in full.......at least it was that much 5 yrs ago.... must be more now... gooood lucki!
This must be for a full gel coat peel and reapplication. Unless your gel coat has some type of extensive cracking (crazing) damage or a bonding issue, peeling is just not necessary.

If the original gel coat is good enough to put Awlgrip on then it will work for gel coat just fine.

You can roll gel coat. It will take less tape time, but you will probably have to do considerably more sanding and buffing. One of the main advantages to this method is that you can do it near other boats and not worry about over spray.

If you spray it, you will have to do a lot more tape work, but the gel coat will finish will be far superior and will require a lot less sanding and buffing.

Here is a link to another forum that discussed this topic:

Spraying gelcoat over gelcoat - Boat Design Forums

Both methods are probably an equal amount of work over all, but gel coat will give you a much larger margin for error.
Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 14:31   #38

Boat: a sailing boat

OK, so according to the info and link above, one will wet with MEK to reactivate (?) the old gelcoat. Suppose. Then there will be some layers of new gelcoat. What is the final thickness? And what are the possible problems with thick (old+new) gelcoat? No problems?

Just asking. Here, we do not re-gelcoat. You go to the boatyard and ask and they will do it only if you accept a no-warranty job.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 17:28   #39

Boat: C&C 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
OK, so according to the info and link above, one will wet with MEK to reactivate (?) the old gel coat. Suppose. Then there will be some layers of new gel coat. What is the final thickness? And what are the possible problems with thick (old+new) gel coat? No problems?

Just asking. Here, we do not re-gel coat. You go to the boatyard and ask and they will do it only if you accept a no-warranty job.

b.

A previous poster asked for some info. I gave him an idea what is out there. Not endorsing it, just showing what is out there.

Marinas like to apply Awlgrip and like products since they have relatively low labor times (compared to gel coat) and also have a real "WOW" factor for the owner. Gel coat will never be as shinny as a professionally applied Awlgrip job period. Awlgrip has a lot of positives, I will not dispute that.

My biggest gripe with Awlgrip type products is that they lack repairablilty. More than one Awlgrip coated boat in my harbor has had one side of the hull repainted since the scratches in them were not repairable. If they were finished with gel coat, most likely they could have been wet sanded and buffed out.

Just like anchoring everyone has their personal favorite method of re-coating their boat. Sounds like the OP wants to paint and was looking for some input, just wanted to let him know that Awlgrip type products are not his only option.
Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull paint, water