Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-07-2005, 18:39   #1

Painting Dorade Vents

Any body know a supplier of PVC spray paint for Vetus dorade vents. In the USA they use Nicro-cote. Can you get this uk.
Thanks in advance. ebbide33
lady g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2005, 19:39   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
I think by the "volume" of silence, no one can help. Sorry I can't, apart from I just painted my vents and used a polyurathane paint. I figured it would flex enough. I maybe wrong. It seems to have worked so far, but it's early days. I wished I knew that there was a special paint available. But then, I probably couldn't buy it here in NZ anyway.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2005, 07:38   #3

I found Krylon fusion spray paint(www.cabelas.com)with the following description

Krylon Fusion Spray Paint - Per Can
It's never been easier to camouflage your boat or your blind with this no-prep, quick-drying paint. Krylon's Fusion paint bonds easily to plastic, PVC, hard vinyl, resin, ceramic, glass, tile, wood, metal, wicker and other hard-to-bond surfaces. Use it to camouflage your duck boat, layout blind, wood blind or other blinds. Suitable for indoor or outdoor use, this paint dries to the touch in 15 minutes, and it achieves chip-resistant, maximum hardness after one week. Use thinner or lacquer for cleanup. Each can is 12 ounces.

Is this similiar to your needs?
captain323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2005, 11:58   #4

"flexible substrates"

I have had great success using automotive primers that are designed for flexible substrates. I would reccomend shopping at an automotive paint supplier. I do not know what is available in spray cans, as no matter how small the job is i prefer to spray, with conventional equipt I have a hvlp gravity feed spray gun with a 4 ounce cup so i do not mind mixing small amounts. I must admit I have never tried brushing this product. Brush cleanup could be a problem. M.E.K. is the only solvent that cleans well, and this is not exactly user friendly. also no matter how small the amount I wear a respirator. The paint companies have done a lot of R&D on automotive paints for flexible substrates, and seem to have solved this problem. I would not paint fiberglass or PVC without using this type of primer. (IMHO) I am not a painter by trade, however I do know that these products work, however there may be something better or easier to use that I am not aware of.
Mr. Fixit is offline   Reply With Quote