Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2017, 07:21   #1

Painted Deck...?

Just got this from a broker and wondered about anyone's experience with a painted deck:

Painting decks is common here as gelcoat where's out as boats get older. The most popular and durable paints are the two part linear polyurethanes, like Awlgrip and Sterling brands. If applied properly they turn out great.

Seems to me like a new maintenance problem where the gelcoat, even worn, was just a scrub and forget surface? Topsides too?
Flyingriki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2017, 07:42   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Painted Deck...?

How bad could a GRP deck be for it to need painting? something to think about.

However, on the dive rib I painted the deck each year with Internationals deck paint by just touching in. Dive cylinders and weight belts did leave marks.

No fade and you couldn't see the difference in the light grey once it had dried.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2017, 08:38   #3

Boat: Bristol Corsair 24

I have a painted deck. I'm not sure what your question is...?
tarditi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2017, 08:52   #4

I would say painting decks is fairly common . Not as durable as gel coat but the Gel coat does get real pourous after years in the sun on some boats. Paint can scratch though. If the colors are the same not too big a deal. Seen many a racing boat with scratches all over the deck showing non matching color below.... from pole scrapes etc...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2017, 08:55   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarditi View Post
I have a painted deck. I'm not sure what your question is...?
Coming from the construction industry I've learned the very hard way a long time ago that once you paint something, as opposed to leaving a surface that didn't come that way, you create maintenance and upkeep that wasn't there before. I had an old C-36 and with a little soft scrub the decks were just fine. Now that this one has been painted, it's going to require more care and upkeep if not repainting somewhere along the line.
If the boat wasn't so full of new equipment and priced so well I wouldn't bother, hence my question for those who know boats much more than I do...
Old 26-07-2017, 09:01   #6

Fair enough then. Yes, there will be some maintenance, but a durable surface might serve more like a bedliner on a truck than just paint on a hull.
Old 26-07-2017, 09:17   #7

The big difference in my mind is once gelcoat starts getting old and chaulky, it takes ever more effort to keep it looking decent and if you are agressive, you start wearing thru it.

At some point a refurbishment is in order. You can respray with gelcoat or you can respray with paint.

Having done the topsides on a boat several years back, loved the paint as 3yrs on it was still shiny with no waxing or buffing. It was a 1 part paint so not as durable as the 2 part paints but touch up was a breeze as I just had a small can and a foam brush to do it. Unless you got up within a few inches, you couldn't see the touch ups.

In the 3yrs, I probably saved all the effort I would have put into buffing and waxing. We sold the boat at that point but no reason not to expect at least a few more years. At that point, you can always strip the paint or if solid, just prep and paint over.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2017, 09:19   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingriki View Post
Coming from the construction industry I've learned the very hard way a long time ago that once you paint something, as opposed to leaving a surface that didn't come that way, you create maintenance and upkeep that wasn't there before. I had an old C-36 and with a little soft scrub the decks were just fine. Now that this one has been painted, it's going to require more care and upkeep if not repainting somewhere along the line.
If the boat wasn't so full of new equipment and priced so well I wouldn't bother, hence my question for those who know boats much more than I do...
If a good job of painting was done and you take care it will be fine, and will stay shiny much better than gel coat does actually.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2017, 09:30   #9

Guys,

Paint your decks with this product (Kiwi Grip) easy single pack to use over gel coated decks or other, water soluble as well and gives a great flexible very UV resistant cover, Im speaking from personal use over many years of very satisfied customers(it's truly a home handy man application and looks and feels great , very professional modern appearance:

KiwiGrip | Non-Skid Coating

https://www.jamestowndistributors.co...t.do?pid=56089

Cheers Steve
Captsteve53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2017, 09:46   #10

Thank you all! Looks like I'm taking another trip.....
Old 26-07-2017, 10:00   #11

Best of luck - let us know how it goes!

Tags
paint, deck