Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2018, 08:37   #1

paint thinner and outside temperature

hello,

I've tried to paint the topside of my boat (roller and tipping) strictly respecting the paint manufacturer recommandations, i.e. 10% of thinner (two parts paint).

It's been a disaster...the paint was feeling like jelly, barely flowing and very hard to tip...

Later, talking to a local painter, he told me that given the temperatures outside (above 78°F in the shade) he doesn't hesitate to use 20 to 30% thinner...!

So I plan to sand everything and do the job over again...but later when the temperatures are a bit down.

This makes me wonder if one can find somewhere a chart showing the relationship between temperatures and percentage of thinner?
wilparis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 05:01   #2

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Re: paint thinner and outside temperature

"It's been a disaster...the paint was feeling like jelly, barely flowing and very hard to tip..."

Join the Club!!

I tried to roll and tip myself but knowing how quickly the paint dries I decided to do the Western side of the yacht early in the morning and the Eastern side in the afternoon so that I was always working in the shade: it made no difference.

I've now bought a 10L pressure pot spray gun ($A109) and my Son has offered to paint it for me. (He says he can do quite a decent job).

Clive
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Temp Spray gun.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	178338  
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint