Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2010, 04:28   #1

Boat: CSY 44 wo "Hoot Mon"
Paint Interior

We have a csy 44wo and need paint inside..what should I us? Thanks widget
widget55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 04:52   #2

Boat: Westsail 32
I have always used Interlux "Brightside" enamel.
cburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 05:49   #3

paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburger View Post
I have always used Interlux "Brightside" enamel.
Where do you get? Is it oil base? Can get in off white do you ue a base like kilz?
Old 09-02-2010, 06:29   #4
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
if you are painting over dark wood then yes the kilz would be a good start IMHO.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:45   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
if you are painting over dark wood then yes the kilz would be a good start IMHO.
I am paint over paint not wood
Old 09-02-2010, 07:22   #6

Boat: Westsail 32
To answer your question I have been using Interlux products since the late 60's. I have used the "Brightside" enamel since 1995 on my own and many customers boats. If you utilize the roll and tip method the final result can look almost as good as sprayed. I find the product to provide a very durable, nice finish. You usually will have no problem with painting over an already painted surface. You can go to Interlux's web site and get all the data you wish regarding this product. I order from Jamestown Distributors in Rhode Island, best price I have found on Interlux paints.

That being said there are many credible companies making quality marine enamels, I just haven't used them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1150014.JPG
Views:	772
Size:	169.7 KB
ID:	13087  
cburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:33   #7

Boat: Oyster Mariner 35
I have painted the interiors of three boats. I painted the fiberglass headliner, formica panels, and vinyl headliner panels with great success. I tend to leave teak-teak.

Interlux will provide a very durable finish however it comes in a very limited number of colors, costs much more per quart, and leaves a very glossy finish that will show all your brush/roller marks around corners etc.

I had better results by using two coats of KILZ over a sanded surface. I let it cure for one week ( you can mark it with your fingernail for the first few days on a very smooth surface). Then I painted with either Rustoleum Top Side marine paint in white semi gloss that I bought at Lowes and had them tint to match my paint chip or I have also used kitchen and bath paint from a home store. I know, I know, some will react strongly to this, I understand. But, the finishes were better than when I used the interlux, were easy to apply, held up very well and were easy to clean. We lived aboard and they did see lots of use. Just wanted to let you know there are more options than "bright white" and " sand" colors to work with.

Good luck with your project and post before and after pictures!

Here is two pictures after I painted the headliner of one of our boats.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010211.jpg
Views:	873
Size:	349.1 KB
ID:	13088   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010194.JPG
Views:	1371
Size:	397.6 KB
ID:	13090  

Old 09-02-2010, 08:30   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindle View Post
I have painted the interiors of three boats. I painted the fiberglass headliner, formica panels, and vinyl headliner panels with great success. I tend to leave teak-teak.

Interlux will provide a very durable finish however it comes in a very limited number of colors, costs much more per quart, and leaves a very glossy finish that will show all your brush/roller marks around corners etc.

I had better results by using two coats of KILZ over a sanded surface. I let it cure for one week ( you can mark it with your fingernail for the first few days on a very smooth surface). Then I painted with either Rustoleum Top Side marine paint in white semi gloss that I bought at Lowes and had them tint to match my paint chip or I have also used kitchen and bath paint from a home store. I know, I know, some will react strongly to this, I understand. But, the finishes were better than when I used the interlux, were easy to apply, held up very well and were easy to clean. We lived aboard and they did see lots of use. Just wanted to let you know there are more options than "bright white" and " sand" colors to work with.

Good luck with your project and post before and after pictures!

Here is two pictures after I painted the headliner of one of our boats.
I like the idea of rustolum but why did you sand plus paint kilz twice? This sounds less expensive than the other.....hope to hear. Thanks. Widget
Old 09-02-2010, 16:30   #9

Boat: a sailing boat
I use plain polyurethane paint for most jobs. Easy to work, great looks.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 17:05   #10

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
For anyone looking for Brightside for a whole lot less money, you can buy the exact same paint at Lowes or Home Depot labeled as porch and deck enamel. It is simply a one part polyurethane. You can buy the base and have any color tint you would like for a fraction of the cost. WG

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 17:20   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Interlux. I would never use latex in a boat.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 17:47   #12

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
I guess I missed something, I haven't seen anyone mention latex, but it is waterproof when dry. But probably not the best choice. WG

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 20:37   #13

Boat: Oyster Mariner 35
The latex reference was about the "kitchen and bath" paint which is a latex/acrylic paint. And absolutely it does not have the same UV protection and durability as a polyurethane, I agree. I would not want to mislead someone that it does.

It just fit my needs better than the glossy polyurethane paint that I could not get anyone to tint for me. Further, I have been very pleasantly surprised with how well it has stood up in the interior of the boat. Now, I did not put it in the lockers, deck, or shower area however!

I know I was very frustrated when I was looking for options the first time I painted the interior because I couldn't find much information on tintable options (this was a non-negotiable requirement for me) and just wanted to pass along what I had to learn by experiment. Waterway guys suggestion is the kind of information I had been looking for then!
Old 09-02-2010, 21:48   #14

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
Don't let anyone tell you latex paint isn't durable or that it doesn't stand up to UV. Acrylic latex paint was originally developed as a flexible and durable coating suitable to repaint chalking aluminum siding, at least 50 years ago. (The oil-based paints weren't flexible enough, and they would chip and crack.) The house paint market is HUGE compared with the pleasure boating market, and the dollars for R&D and product quality/durability testing also far greater. The market is also very competitive and the consumer benefits from all of that in a high quality lower-priced product with more choices in color and variety.

To match interior gelcoat following repairs, I have used Benjamin Moore exterior-grade acrylic latex epoxy porch floor paint. You can get gloss or semi-gloss (I used the latter) and have the store match it to the color cards (hundreds of colors and shades to choose). I also had the paint store use an anti-mildew additive which is standard practice on the north sides of buildings.

That paint will last as long as the boat, and is easy to freshen up if ever needed. Durable, hard, will probably wear better than the Interlux stuff, and low VOCs (water clean up).
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 04:05   #15

polyurethane spray,protective coatings

I have applied UL polyurethane spray .It's result excellent.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	9.jpg
Views:	759
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	13629  
smith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
interior