Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2014, 23:55   #16
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
Re: Ozefridge Reviews

They have (or had) a testimonial from me on their website. I really like the units & have fitted them to a boat or two. What I LOVE is the communication you get from them to sort out little issues (think 10 minute response times to email in most cases, timezone dependant). They are really a fantastic outfit to deal with.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2014, 06:45   #17

Boat: Freydis 49

I have had Ozefridge fridge and freezer for 10 years now, last 5 in the tropics, use water cooling from my 400ltr water tank">fresh water tank and it is a great set up. Works well, low power draw, quiet now I have the centrifuge type circulating pumps. Never feel any heating of the water. The service is 2nd to none, last time I had a small issue they sent the new thermostat free of charge. I would definitely have no hesitation in buying again. No ties with the company just happy customer.
Old 19-12-2014, 08:12   #18

Boat: Working On Getting one

So far I don't think I have seen anyone ask, Do you need to install a new fresh water tank or is it the drinking water tanks.
mattnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2014, 09:28   #19

Boat: Freydis 49

Being in Asia I have separate washing and drinking water tanks, run it off the washing tank but see no reason why you couldn't use the drinking water tank.
Old 19-12-2014, 11:19   #20

Boat: Crowther 15.2m

Hi mine is plumbed into my 180 litre fresh water tank with no notable temperature rise even on hot days, I'm based in Sydney

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
two fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2014, 08:28   #21

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Saw this thread and thought I would add my firm endorsement of Ozefridge! They were very helpful sending me the unit to the US, and answered all kinds of questions while I considered purchase, sizing and where to locate the unit. We have an earlier unit and it works wonderfully, using air primarily, but when it is very hot we can use the fresh water tank. We also have a circuit that is activated by the engine key switch to turn the unit on full to take advantage of the alternator power while the engine is on. The newer units have automatic sensing and better control of power available, and take advantage of that.

Last year after about 8 years of use, I had to recharge, and was patiently given help through the process, and I succeeded, thanks to Ozifridge's help.

The units are very well engineered and thought out!
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2014, 04:51   #22
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Thanks rgleason It is good to hear from a long time user.

So far no one seems to have had any problems and like the product

Presently working thru the installation details of plumbing runs and how best to make the box

will order 2 independent units for a side by side Freezer set up, with a removable divider between them for back up redundancy or if I need to freeze something long.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2014, 06:26   #23

Peter has been a great help. On our small boat we mounted unit behind galley sink under counter and opened an 8 inch x 6 inch hole in the cabinet behind the gimbeled oven. The unit then blows into the open wet locker opening. Last year I before recharging due to small loss of refrigerant (cap loosened after 7 years) I cleaned and vacuumed the coils which did make a difference.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 05-08-2016, 08:01   #24

We were having some issues with long run times and not getting down to proper temp. The lower blue liw pressure suction side schrader valve was frosting badly and freezing up around the pipe. I had thought I was low on 134a and added too much and was in danger of icing up the gas expansion oriface which would damage the compressor. Matt Paulin advised that I should let out 134a in 10-20 second spirts until the blue low pressure schrader valve only had light frost at the ver most. Our valve now gets cool but now frost and it seems to be working well, as Peter Mackay kindly confirmed the pressure guage psi readings and draw down figures which I made for about 4 draw downs) for our ref. Thankyou Peter and Matt.
Old 05-08-2016, 18:06   #25
CF Adviser

I have found Peter great to work with.

I installed my two units earlier this year, Freezer and Fridge

But because of other works, just did initial cooling, leak tests and a few draw downs because of same icing.

Will start up next week to monitor full time use
Old 11-12-2016, 16:48   #26
cruiser

Thanks to all the positive posters on this thread.
You folk say the nicest darn things, I've just got get my beloved to read this so she can see that I'm not always a whinging old B!
Anyway, nice to know that our efforts are appreciated because we do try very hard to provide support promptly and often in remote and difficult circumstances.
Thanks, and a merry and safe Christmas to all.
OzePete.
OzePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 17:44   #27

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

I had my Ozfridge (with large eutectic tank) for over 10 years in my previous boat, although I think that the model I have has been upgraded since. Always worked well (but have not been in the tropics), power use was acceptable little, noise was little once I moved waterpump and mounted on better rubber feet.
Installation was straight forward. I used (drink) water tank for cooling. People often asked me "What about if you run out of water in your tanks?". My standard answer was: "Well, when I am down to my last 50 litres, then it is time to go home, and to keep stuff cool is not the issue, lack of water is".

If or when I upgrade my current system.... it will be almost certainly Ozfridge.
Old 12-12-2016, 01:09   #28

Boat: Catalina 470

I had a ozefridge on my last boat ( sold recently) . I thought it was great. I very much liked that you could take advantage of excess power generation. If I was motoring I'd turn the compressor on and freeze the plate up using free electricity, same in the middle of the day when producing solar that I couldn't use.
Also due to the compressor unit being in a nicely presented stainless steel casing with digital display I had it mounted on a shelf in the saloon. It looked good and was in a great open place that allowed it to get plenty of air through it.
Peter and his staff are awesome to deal with, would answer my calls and emails quickly, patiently and expertly.
Would be by first pick when it comes to a marine fridge.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2019, 05:44   #29
CF Adviser

My two Ozefridge units (1 freezer/ 1 Fridge) have been running for two months now as we acclimatize to full time liveaboards in the 32°-34°C heat.

As this is my first eutectic system, a basic question about proper maintenance.

Performance has been great but how much ice buildup should I be expecting a 2 months and is that detrimental to.performance?

Attachment 1
Old 22-01-2019, 05:45   #30
CF Adviser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
My two Ozefridge units (1 freezer/ 1 Fridge) have been running for two months now as we acclimatize to full time liveaboards in the 32°-34°C heat.

As this is my first eutectic system, a basic question about proper maintenance.

Performance has been great but how much ice buildup should I be expecting a 2 months and is that detrimental to.performance?

Attachment 1
Wrong photo
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190121_070849.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	184280

Tags
reviews